Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My toddler keeps biting holes in his bottle nipples!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:56 am
I recently noticed that all the nipples had big holes in the side so I went out and bought him new ones. A few days later, I noticed the new ones already had holes in them. Is this dangerous? I'm concerned about the tips breaking off and becoming a choking hazard.

For medical reasons, we can't get rid of bottles yet.

Its Friday

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:59 am
is he grinding teeth too much?

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:12 am
It's certainly a choking hazard. Perhaps it's time to introduce the sippy cup.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:26 am
I've never noticed him grinding his teeth.

A sippy cup doesn't work with his medical needs. He needs a baby bottle with a nipple that reaches the back of the mouth.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:38 am
If you child has an oral therapist, they might be able to suggest a stronger nipple. You'll probably have to special order them, and they'll probably be expensive.

I've hear of them being used for people on the Autism spectrum who have feeding issues. They also make pacis that are extra strong and chew resistant.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 2:32 pm
He doesn't have a feeding therapist.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy an endless supply of nipples.

gande

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 4:43 pm
The latex ones are stronger than the silicon ones. That's what I use Also when you see him biting the bottle, take it away. It's not a good habit and will keep on getting worse.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:10 pm
gande wrote:
The latex ones are stronger than the silicon ones. That's what I use Also when you see him biting the bottle, take it away. It's not a good habit and will keep on getting worse.

Thanks. This is helpful. We usually buy silicone.

I don't usually see him biting. I just notice the holes in the nipples afterward.

Aylat

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 2:35 am
It's so annoying. My toddlers all did this. When I saw them, I would take it away, but you can't always notice. I never thought of the safety concern, that's a good point. As far as I can remember they didn't really bite bits off, just chewed until they bit through it.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 4:45 am
Without knowing your child's medical issues, it's hard to advise. If they were a typically developing child, I would say that it's time to give up the bottles.

Do you think your child will be using bottles forever? How old is your child. Is your child verbal yet?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to brainstorm for you. Feel free to ignore.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 8:44 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Without knowing your child's medical issues, it's hard to advise. If they were a typically developing child, I would say that it's time to give up the bottles.

Do you think your child will be using bottles forever? How old is your child. Is your child verbal yet?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to brainstorm for you. Feel free to ignore.

He's a typically developing child who, as I wrote earlier, can't give up the bottle due to medical issues. He needs a nipple that reaches the back of his mouth.

He's mostly nonverbal due to his young age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics