Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Best first shoes

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 8:34 pm
It looks like my first baby will be walking soon. Please recommend first-time shoes. Ideally leather for wide little feet. Thank you.

987gold

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:38 pm
I order geox boys size 19 and 20 from Nordstrom rack. Paid under 50 for both pairs. The 19 is still great! If your child is exceptionally wide, may need to be fit. Geox has a wider cut but not crazy wide.

https://www.nordstromrack.com/.....YELLO

https://www.nordstromrack.com/.....BLACK BEIG

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:42 pm
For first shoes go to a shoe store that caters to children.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:56 pm
Stride rite is great for new walkers. Very lightweight and flexible.

essie14

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 1:22 am
Your baby doesn’t need shoes right away. It’s better for her to walk barefoot for a while. You take her for shoes when she’s walking more steadily. “Looks like she’s about to walk” stage can last a long time.
Once she is walking steadily take her to a store which specializes in first walkers. I wouldn’t order online for a first pair.
I was happy with elefanten first shoes.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 6:32 am
Barefoot is best. They grab the floor with their toes. Dd is 12mo and walking for 2mo. She is in socks/tights, barefoot or robeez. Soft soles first walkers ar good. Stride rite makes nice ones.

lfab

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 7:42 am
amother wrote:
Stride rite is great for new walkers. Very lightweight and flexible.

I second stride rite first walkers. All my kids got those for their first shoes.

lucky14

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 7:58 pm
Take your child to get fitted for first shoes (someplace that has experience and knows what they're talking about). And as others have said- at home and stuff barefoot is best!

trixx

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 8:23 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Barefoot is best. They grab the floor with their toes. Dd is 12mo and walking for 2mo. She is in socks/tights, barefoot or robeez. Soft soles first walkers ar good. Stride rite makes nice ones.

This. Barefoot, socks or robeez. Getting fitted for a first shoe is outdated advice imo.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:33 am
Thank you all. Ordered robeez.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:35 am
trixx wrote:
This. Barefoot, socks or robeez. Getting fitted for a first shoe is outdated advice imo.

At some point the new walker will be going outside in shoes. It’s those shoes that need to fit appropriately.

I don’t think of Robeez as shoes - those are slippers.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:46 am
amother wrote:
At some point the new walker will be going outside in shoes. It’s those shoes that need to fit appropriately.

It’s not that hard to fit them well. You should be able to squeeze one finger behind the foot. Feel the front to ensure that there is a little space around her toes, but not so much that she’ll trip over the shoes. It’s easy to check the first shoes since they are soft soled and flexible. By the time you get firmer soles you should be familiar with the size and shape of your child’s foot. Some styles and brands are narrower than others. Its not that hard and the shoe stores would love you to only trust them.

Robeez are great for babies outside. They give them the protection they need while giving them the comfort of nearly barefoot.
Those would be very expensive slippers...

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:51 am
Iymnok wrote:
It’s not that hard to fit them well. You should be able to squeeze one finger behind the foot. Feel the front to ensure that there is a little space around her toes, but not so much that she’ll trip over the shoes. It’s easy to check the first shoes since they are soft soled and flexible. By the time you get firmer soles you should be familiar with the size and shape of your child’s foot. Some styles and brands are narrower than others. Its not that hard and the shoe stores would love you to only trust them.

If you’re a newbie it’s nice to have someone help. The difference in price between a shoe store and amazon is worth that.

I think it’s an honest way to make a living. On the flip side I also don’t think there is one guy on Brooklyn that you must see for shoes.

I hadn’t a clue if my toddler had wide feet. To what was I comparing?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
If you’re a newbie it’s nice to have someone help. The difference in price between a shoe store and amazon is worth that.

I think it’s an honest way to make a living. On the flip side I also don’t think there is one guy on Brooklyn that you must see for shoes.

I can agree with that. My sixth just started walking and is wearing used shoes and robeez. They fit her well and she walks smoothly in them. But you’re right. I recognize this from experience.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 11:01 am
Iymnok wrote:

This. According to my child orthopedic surgeon, as much barefoot as possible. Barefoot means no socks / tights either.
Once you do get them shoes, the softer the sole the better. And it should have a good grip on the child's foot. Stride rite is perfect for that.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 11:03 am
I read an article written by Dr. Susan Shulman a popular pediatrician, and she herself said that it's totally not necessary to get your baby's shoes at a fancy shoe store and they don't need to be "fitted". She said you should just make sure that the shoes you are purchasing have support. She even mentioned that a canvas tie sneaker is sufficient as long as there is support in the ankle area etc.
I did get my first two kids fitted for their first two pairs of shoes. After that, I realized that I'm just as capable knowing what fits and what doesn't and since then I've always done the fitting myself and purchased shoes on discount.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics