Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Florida

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 8:35 pm
Were looking into moving to Florida and I'm wondering what the Jewish communities are like in Florida. Miami beach versus north miami vs boca vs ft Lauderdale etc

What are these jewish communities like? What's the differences between them?

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:28 pm
What kind of community are you looking for?
What's your job situation?
These answers make a difference.

I don't know everything, but some info

Miami Beach is quite expensive, also full of tourists the whole winter.

North Miami is more run down, but has a much larger diverse community.

Ft Lauderdale, I assume you mean more like Hollywood, I believe there are different types of neighborhoods, there is a decent amount of Kosher and diversity, what I've seen was very shabby but I hear there are different areas.

Boca is mostly central to BRS, nice area, very Jewish, a few schools and shopping choices, probably cheaper than Miami Beach but more than Hollywood or North Miami.

My info is from research I did about 5-6 years go, so possibly outdated by now.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:40 pm
To answer you fully would require a super long post.
Shortish answer - NMB is the most yeshivish of them all (and then Miami Beach, then Boca/Ft. Lauderdale). NMB is also probrably the cheapest, definitely a lot cheaper than MB, and slightly cheaper than Boca. But even in NMB housing is expensive for OOT. The average house there is $500k and small. 80% of the houses in NMB are small, and remember - no one has basements and very few have a second floor. The community is very close and warm though. Great place to live and raise children, IMO. The houses in Boca are somewhat bigger on average, and slightly more expensive per square foot. Miami Beach home is a fortune. Probrably a couple million. Ft. Lauderdale is the smallest of the communities mentioned. Not tons going on there, I believe, but there frum people there. Boca, MB, and NMB all have there own day school, but many people from MB go to NMB for school and vise versa, there are those that travel from NMB to MB for school. NMB also has a large lubavitch community, with their own large day school and girls high school. Boca's day school is small and they have a new girls high school which is pretty modern, so some prefer to send to NMB for high school. Both NMB and MB have kollels, (as does Hollywood, but you didn't ask about that neighborhood). Most of the NMB kollel members end up living locally long term. The MB kollel members often move to NMB after kollel because of housing and a closer knit more yeshivsh community. (But NMB isn't ALL yeshivish - plenty of all types there, and for the most part everyone gets along beautifully.)
Both NMB, MB, and Boca have boys high schools and post high school yeshivas so pple don't have to send their sons away, which is amazing.

What else did you want to know? The weather is awesome. Very hot summers, amazing winters. Top frum vacation spot. Everyone will want to visit you, lol.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 3:47 pm
What type of community is Boca, yeshivish, modern orthodox, chasidish etc?

Where is the Jewish area in Boca like? Are all neighborhoods in gated areas like Lakewood or some live on a residential block ?

Is their a separate Jewish neighborhood that's wealthier in Boca?

What area is the Jewish neighborhoods in NMB and in MB?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 11:26 am
Also interested in more info, are there jobs readily available? No degree. Is there a more yeshivish area in boca? Or do they stick out?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 12:11 pm
Orlando also has a very small but growing Jewish community and day school that was started by Chofetz Chaim families. Out of town feel, friendly and welcoming. We are very happy here!

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 12:25 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Orlando also has a very small but growing Jewish community and day school that was started by Chofetz Chaim families. Out of town feel, friendly and welcoming. We are very happy here!

Is it true that there is free tuition in Orlando?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 1:37 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Is it true that there is free tuition in Orlando?

There are scholarships available for low income families through the Step Up for Students program.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 2:59 pm
Most yeshivish area in Bica would be East Boca Kehilla near Torah Academy or by Young Israel close to the area called the Circle.

jj1236

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 4:47 pm
Amother who lives in Orlando. Would you mind pming me? My husband's dream is to move to Orlando (Obsessed with Disney) and has been looking into it (not gonna happen soon but still something to think about)

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 4:50 pm
jj1236 wrote:
Amother who lives in Orlando. Would you mind pming me? My husband's dream is to move to Orlando (Obsessed with Disney) and has been looking into it (not gonna happen soon but still something to think about)

I like to keep my sn private but if you give me an anon email address I can write to you.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 10:56 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
There are scholarships available for low income families through the Step Up for Students program.

That scholarship is available in Miami as well, it's not unique to Orlando. My kids get step up in their NMB school. We still pay a lot of tuition though.
I've never heard about the tuition in Orlando being free or exceptionally cheap.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating