Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Netflix movie for my 18 year old yeshiva son
1  2  3  Next

amother
Red

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 7:26 pm
Hi!

Can you think of a movie on Netflix or Amazon or Hulu that is appropriate to watch with my 18 year old yeshiva son?

Maybe something about Israel at Entebee?

Anything clean that's not too juvenile!

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 7:47 pm
Woman in Gold
The Untouchables
Dunkirk

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 7:50 pm
Any of bourne series

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:02 am
Sorry, can't agree with Woman in Gold, Bourne series, or most movies for an 18 yr old yeshiva bochur. The simple truth is he will see things in the "cleanest" movie that are damaging. The way the women are dressed, certain behaviors, violence, etc. Even movies for children have these problems.
Try watching a movie alone before having him join you- I'm sure you will see what I mean.
All I did was watch the trailers of these movies- and it was enough to see it wasn't appropriate.
Also, movie watching is very addictive. Once you've "kashered" one in his eyes there is a real danger he will look for more- with you or without you.
What is your reasoning in wanting to watch a movie with him?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:09 am
He's 18. It's hard to say "no violence". I'd personally put the line at explaining to him (hopefully he learned before) why it is for HIS neshana to protect.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:10 am
The movie series Prison Break

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:13 am
SuperWify wrote:
The movie series Prison Break

That is very violent. Also, a lot of scary concepts. Men raping men in prison....
Incest. Drug abuse.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:21 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
That is very violent. Also, a lot of scary concepts. Men raping men in prison....
Incest. Drug abuse.

And you really think a 18 year old boy doesn’t know about these things?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:21 am
Violence is the smallest problem in movies.
Ladies, pls don’t recommend a movie you haven’t reviewed and deem appropriate for your son.
Just saying....

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:22 am
Netflix has gotten really "edgy" lately. The're pushing the envelope pretty hard.

Instead of movies, I'd look for history documentaries. You're on much safer ground there. YouTube has tons of them.

Forrealx

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:28 am
What about Forest Gump?
It is a beauitful movie (one of the best) and yeah there is violence and s-x but it is about unconditional love and the fact that special need people can come really far.

Mongol kinda action/adventure history movie about the Mongolical empire very intersgnti

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:29 am
NOT PRISON BREAK WOW

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:32 am
There are no women in the movie Dunkirk. Other than a 10 second scene of a uniformed nurse handing put sandwiches.
ETA: and no s-x, not even a mention

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:36 am
Dolphin Tale
Simple and clean movie I watched with my kids. Not too childish.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:39 am
SuperWify wrote:

I’m assuming most do, but it seems like his mother doesn’t want him to watch them.

tweek

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:52 am
SuperWify wrote:

Knowing about something, and watching it on screen are 2 different entities.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 8:11 am
OP, your son is 18, do you really think he has not watched many types of movies by now?? If not, don't beat yourself up when he starts watching everything, because you're opening his eyes to watching. He wont just watch this one movie and that's it.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 8:34 am
Not sure why you want to show him a movie but there really isn’t anything out there that is completely okay.
My son who is a few years younger was begging for secular movies.
He started with Harry Potter. First of all, the previews from other movies were very inappropriate for him to see. Also, even though I allowed Harry Potter, I didn’t realize that the later movies do have some boy/girl scenarios. Maybe you’re okay with it, but I would have preferred my son hadn’t seen it.
My kids watched Charlie and the chocolate factory- I think it was fine aside for previews for other movies.
There is a Jewish movie company and they have very professional videos. I think you can rent them through mostly music.com or buy the DVDs. The company is called greentec and I would recommend those.(there are many)
But like one poster mentioned - once you allow one movie you are opening up a whole new world to him. It doesn’t stop after one. If you have to, get the greentec videos or Jewish concerts.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 9:04 am
I learned something from my seventeen year old DS the other day. He is very open minded and knows about life etc.
I always only took out Jewish books for him to read, from the library. Or books on how to fix things etc. One day I read a book by Mary Higgins Clark that I found to be clean. There was no relations, violence or love story. So I told him that it's a clean book and encourages him to read it. When he was done , he told me "By the way Mommy, the book is not so "clean"...and he mentioned why.
The story is about a girl who got pregnant as a teen and they sedated her while she was in labor and the baby was kidnapped etc. The mother was told she had a stillborn and then there is a whole story.
My DS found the mention of a teen pregnancy, to be "not clean".
I was actually pretty impressed that he was sensitive towards that. We as adults have been desensitized a lot over the years that we don't realize that as much as our kids know they still will be sensitive towards reading and watching certain things. Why ruin that for them? This is just one more lesson my child taught me about life.

momsrus

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 9:22 am
Not on Netflix. Zman play. Zusman

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o963eA69_mI
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics