Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent substitute ideas
1  2  3  Next

DinaIL

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 2:34 am
Hi, my husband and I are getting tired of eating cholent every shabbos morning.
Anyone have any ideas what to make instead?

erm

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 2:58 am
Sometimes I make chicken and potatoes in the slow cooker instead. I also add rice that comes in bags.

essie14

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 6:58 am
Pulled beef
My kids go crazy over this.

Slice onions, put on bottom of crockpot. Put in chuck roast (cheap cut is fine), pour bottle of BBQ sauce and cook on low from candle lighting til lunch. Shred with 2 forks.
Serve over mashed potatoes or quinoa or on challah rolls as sandwiches.

I've also made crockpot chili and served with pareve cornbread.

If I want a lighter meal I make turkey soup in the crockpot. Onions, carrots, celery, white potato, sweet potato and turkey necks. Fill with water. Season with onion soup mix or spices of your choosing. Cook on low from candle lighting til lunch.

Last edited by essie14 on Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:11 am
Us too. I started making Chamin instead.

Culturedpearls

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:24 am
I’ve started making Yapchik every second week

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:44 am
Kasha.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 3:56 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Us too. I started making Chamin instead.
How are they different? I thought chamin was just what chulent was called in hebrew.

betweenall12

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 10:34 pm
yapchik
I use my regular potato kugel recipe but leave out the oil because the meat is fatty, pour half into crockpot add layer of meat and put the rest of the batter. Depending on what time on Friday I put it up I either cook on high for a few hours and switch to low right before shabbos or cook on low the whole time.

strawberry cola

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 11:29 pm
Many German Jews cook Gruenkern soup instead of cholent. Gruenkern are kernels of green wheat. Here is a recipe from the New York Times cooking section:

Pamela Gurock's Gruenkern Soup
MOLLY O'NEILL
YIELD8 - 10 servings
TIME2 hours 30 minutes Save To Recipe Box Print this recipeEmailShare on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Twitter
Beef Bone, Beef Short Rib, Gruenkern Mark as Cooked Rate this
INGREDIENTS
1 pound Gruenkern (green wheat kernels), rinsed and soaked overnight (see note)
4 pounds of beef short ribs
2 beef bones
2 onions, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Nutritional Information
REPARATION
Put all the ingredients in a pot and add 12 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, periodically skimming the foam that comes to the top. Reduce heat and simmer 2 hours and 15 minutes.
With a slotted spoon, take out the meat and bones and allow them to cool. Meanwhile, skim the fat off the soup. Scoop out any marrow from the bones and return it to the pot.
Separate the meat from the bones, discarding fat and gristle. Chop the meat into 1/2-inch cubes and return it to the pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tip

naomi6

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 12:45 am
Saute onions cube potatoes put in chuck or shoulder kalichel small pieces salt and pepper cook for a few hours then let it simmer on a low flame till shabbos by day. Del.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 12:57 am
betweenall12 wrote:
yapchik
I use my regular potato kugel recipe but leave out the oil because the meat is fatty, pour half into crockpot add layer of meat and put the rest of the batter. Depending on what time on Friday I put it up I either cook on high for a few hours and switch to low right before shabbos or cook on low the whole time.

Sounds yummy and different. Would you be able to provide the recipe for the kugel batter please ?

Emotional

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 1:20 am
Meatballs in tomato sauce. Smells amazing shabbos morning

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 1:27 am
If you don’t need something hot you can eat cold cuts, potato salad or pasta salad (or deli salad), room temperature apple kugel, schnitzel...

betweenall12

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 1:43 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Sounds yummy and different. Would you be able to provide the recipe for the kugel batter please ?

6 potatoes
5 eggs
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Half or whole onion

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 1:53 pm
betweenall12 wrote:
6 potatoes
5 eggs
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Half or whole onion

Are you sure it’s that much black pepper?

betweenall12

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 3:35 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
Are you sure it’s that much black pepper?

I usually do however much salt I use I half that and use half black pepper (sorry if unclear) but u can forsure put half a teaspoon.

Also I adjust the recipe for the amt of ppl I have. If it’s just 2 ppl I do half the recipe...
general rule I use is however many potatoes I do minus one with the eggs so 3 potatoes 2 eggs

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 5:01 pm
We do deli sandwiches most weeks. My kids love it. You could make a pureed veg soup in the slow cooker if you want something hot.

My cholent recipe is not really too cholenty. No beans. Saute onions, garlic and meat. (whatever I have - shin or chuck often) add in potatoes and barley. soup mix, salt pepper. Water to cover.

Although now I think I will try Essies pulled beef.

amotheranon

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 5:18 pm
Beef stew!
Any cut of beef works, cubed
Sautéed onion
San Marzano tomatoes
Box of beef broth
3 carrots chopped
Potatoes
Bay leaves
Splash of soy or Worcestershire sauce
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Onion powder
Garlic powder

Cook on low

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 6:23 pm
amotheranon wrote:
Beef stew!
Any cut of beef works, cubed
Sautéed onion
San Marzano tomatoes
Box of beef broth
3 carrots chopped
Potatoes
Bay leaves
Splash of soy or Worcestershire sauce
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Onion powder
Garlic powder

Cook on low

I agree, I do a beef stew similar to this (going to have to try adding paprika and onion powder!)

Sorry, not sure how to quote multiple people, but I had questions:

What kind of meat do you use for yapchik? I keep wanting to try making it. I've never seen it or tasted it, it just sounds really good, and I have no idea where to start.

And to the poster who makes meatballs in the crockpot - they keep that long in the crockpot? Is it literally just meatballs with jarred tomato sauce? I keep wanting to try that too but I'm nervous they'll overcook.

betweenall12

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 6:31 pm
finallyamommy wrote:
I agree, I do a beef stew similar to this (going to have to try adding paprika and onion powder!)

Sorry, not sure how to quote multiple people, but I had questions:

What kind of meat do you use for yapchik? I keep wanting to try making it. I've never seen it or tasted it, it just sounds really good, and I have no idea where to start.

And to the poster who makes meatballs in the crockpot - they keep that long in the crockpot? Is it literally just meatballs with jarred tomato sauce? I keep wanting to try that too but I'm nervous they'll overcook.

I use flanken, or chuck, or cheeck, or any meat that is best cooked low and slow
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus