Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach at home

hello321

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 5:00 pm
Ideas to make Pesach special at home. Including chol hamoed. I love Pesach, it’s on of my favorite yomim tovim but I would like to create special memories for our children.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 5:55 pm
Everyone looks forward to the delicious yom tov food.
Setting up the sparkling table is exciting for everyone - joint effort.
Dh makes a big deal of hiding the afikomen knowing the kids are just waiting for a chance to grab it. I secretly tell them where it is if they can't find it and then run like the wind to hide it together.
We have adorable makkos masks for the seder.
Chol Hamoed is special family time and we all look forward to being together without pressure to rush or be on schedule.
I love being home!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 6:04 pm
Invest in a crock pot for chol hamoed suppers.
Buy 1-2 good cookbooks
Collect true and tried recipes from people

hello321

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 6:50 pm
Thanks. Keep them coming
Ideas of making the seder super special
Also chol hamoed ideas to do

momsrus

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 7:46 pm
Kids get a little cup with a lid to hold their chocolate/candy. They get candy when they answer correctly and say mah nishtana kadeish etc

We have big plastic animals and small frogs that jump for the makkos

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 8:58 pm
Just being calm about the prep and getting into the good food and singing will give your kids many fond memories

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:01 pm
they like it when they are "involved". I made a pillowcase with my dd for the seder. We still have glitter glue on our dining room chairs to show for it but she had a great time!
We make it about the kids. we don't spend a lot of time on "drashas" just going through it with the kids, singing with them... they love it!

cm

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:18 pm
Oh, how I love Pesach at home! Start preparing well in advance (and keep food out of the bedrooms year-round) so you don't feel overwhelmed and crabby once yom tov arrives.

The kids can help plan their favorite Pesach meals. We keep our meals simple so not too much fussing, and try to include things kids can prepare themselves (with some supervision), depending on their ages.

Make-your-own charoset is a big hit at our seders. We enjoy taking turns reading from the haggadah and choosing tunes for the singing parts, and plan divrei Torah in advance - only one or two at each meal so we don't get overloaded. Don't forget there are plenty of yom tov meals, so everyone will get a turn. For the really little ones, we have a mini-seder early in the evening and send them off to bed. They get the gist of the holiday while they're still alert, and don't get painfully overtired.

On chol hamoed we take our Pesach picnics on the road for day trips, or do special activities locally.

pizza4

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:27 pm
I'm following this, we're making the entire pesach at home for the first time (with sedarim!) this year bez"h. Everyone has such great ideas here!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 11:28 pm
Look out for good sales now on pots, mixer, food processor, cutlery..... since it all adds up fast!

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 7:23 am
Some people decorate their tables in a pesach theme- a blue tablecloth to represent the yam suf with a beige runner to represent the split- they put toy people on it as if they are coming out of mitzrayim. Others decorate the table with makkos themed toys. I know someone who covered her dining room walls with pictures of pyramids....
But only do this if you find it fun and will add joy to your pesach and not add stress. Making Pesach, especially the first time with little kids can be very overwhelming. You don’t need the “shtick” that I described to make it fun. Your happy, excited attitude will spill over to your kids, too.
Are you only looking for fun ideas or are you looking for practical tips, too?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:32 am
You know, its funny. My kids were just talking about which yomtov they like best. And my daughter said Oh I love pesach! And I couldn't believe it because umm it has its stressful moments for me. But I was so glad that it didn't get to her. And all the other kids agreed with her that they loved it too. (Except my son in high school who said no way Chanukah is best, nothing beats getting out of school early, best feeling ever!)

And we don't do the makkos fun stuff. I actually wanted to because I wanted to compensate for my stressing out at times and thought I was making my kids have negative feelings for pesach. but my DH didn't really go for it. So I'm here to say even if you stress out and even if you don't do these fun, kid-oriented extras, they can still have wonderful memories and good feelings!

sky

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:23 am
We have pesach items on the table year to year that bring so many memories. It doesn’t have to be expensive or fancy. It just build nostalgia by using it.

Also try to keep Sefer not stressful, kid oriented. Moving along. Singing if that is what kids enjoy.

I find planning chol hamoed in advance helps a ton! Including lunch and supper. It’s so much fun to take along a picnic lunch and come home to a hot supper.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:35 am
We weren't home for Pesach last year, and when I told my 10 y/o DS that we're staying home this year, he said "Yessss! I love Pesach at home!" So I guess we do something right Wink

I love having a quick, kid-friendly Seder that's totally focused on our young family (DS is the oldest). I love having our own beds, our own friends, our own schedule, our own familiar surroundings and attractions for Chol Hamoed. There's nothing like being home, even though it is a LOT of work.

As for the Seder with young children, we have a "points" system where we give out tokens or tickets for asking and answering questions, for sharing information that they learned in school, and for participating. We give them freely and copiously to keep the kids involved. One year we got a big Pesach-themed puzzle and gave out pieces for every question/answer etc. and then had the kids put the puzzle together while DH and I went through the more "boring" parts of the Hagaddah. It worked out great!

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 5:05 pm
Some people decorate their tables in a pesach theme- a blue tablecloth to represent the yam suf with a beige runner to represent the split- they put toy people on it as if they are coming out of mitzrayim. Others decorate the table with makkos themed toys. I know someone who covered her dining room walls with pictures of pyramids....
But only do this if you find it fun and will add joy to your pesach and not add stress. Making Pesach, especially the first time with little kids can be very overwhelming. You don’t need the “shtick” that I described to make it fun. Your happy, excited attitude will spill over to your kids, too.
Are you only looking for fun ideas or are you looking for practical tips, too?

advocate

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 5:49 pm
Go to a glaze your own ceramics place and let your kids make things for the seder table.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics