Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
How close to BP can someone "run" (to increase longevity)?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 8:02 pm
Where, thats not far from BP, can people "run"? I barely see anyone brisk- walking in BP, forget running. Confused

~~~~~~~~

Want the Cardio Fitness of Someone Decades Younger? Here’s How Much You Need to Run

By now, you’re probably aware of the many health benefits of running. It boosts your metabolism, keeps your muscles, bones, and joints strong, and improves your memory, just to name a few things.

But new research has added one more: Logging miles on a regular basis throughout your life may help your body stay decades younger as you age, according to a recent study in the Journal of Applied Physiology.

Researchers at Ball State University compared the VO2 maxes and muscular fitness of 28 men and women in their 70s who had either ran, cycled, swam, or did some other kind of aerobic activity for the last 50 years—averaging five days a week for a total of about seven hours—with two other groups: men and women of the same generation who hadn’t exercised much during their lives and men and women in their 20s who are currently active.

Their hypothesis was that the young, active participants would have better cardiovascular and muscle health than either of the other two groups. However, the researchers didn’t find that to be true.

As it turned out, the older participants who have been working out their whole lives had muscle composition similar to that of the younger participants in the study—and both groups were far better than the older, non-active participants.

According to the authors, lifelong exercise “preserves skeletal muscle capillarization [blood vessels] and aerobic enzymes [which break down glycogen], regardless of intensity.” That means better muscle function, allowing you to run harder and longer for years to come.

What’s more, the lifelong exercisers enjoyed a V02 max boost, too. The woman in the group had VO2 maxes similar to people 15 years younger than them, and the men in the group had VO2 maxes similar to those 35 years younger (More research needs to be done to determine why the VO2 max benefits are different in magnitude for men and women).

The intensity of exercise didn’t matter for the cardio capacity boost or the muscle health benefit.

“‘Exercise wins’ is the take-home message,” Scott Trappe, Ph.D., director of Ball State’s Human Performance Laboratory and lead author of the study, told Runner’s World. “We saw that people who exercise regularly year after year have better overall health. These 75-year-olds—men and women—have similar cardiovascular health to a 40- to 45-year-old.”

Aerobic exercise can also maintain a reserve of good overall health, cutting your risk of early death, according to the study.

Further research is needed to know if running and other forms of aerobic activity would translate to other aspects of muscle health, like mass or structure. Regardless, getting your miles in each week will keep your body younger and fitter.

https://www.prevention.com/fit.....21918

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 8:05 pm
People run on ocean parkway all the time.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 8:17 pm
Ocean Parkway of Prospect Park are popular. You can also walk to the bay (Toys R Us) and run there.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 8:28 pm
tigerwife wrote:
You can also walk to the bay (Toys R Us) and run there.

Walking there takes over an hour. How many people can run after walking for an hour?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 8:38 pm
I'm willing to try it with a partner. Smile How about down Ft. Hmltn? Early morning?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 8:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I'm willing to try it with a partner. Smile How about down Ft. Hmltn? Early morning?

About how old are you? Id take you up on it, if youre close to my age. Im 60ish, and relatively fit looking, but I never ran, so Id want to start slow.

ROFL

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:00 pm
Sunset park is nice. But only go during daytime hours.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:05 pm
In a public park?
Depends where in BP you're talking about. Parts of BP are near the bay, so if you're saying that's an hour away from you, does that mean you're closer to Prospect Park?

Note that running can be hard on the knees and may not be the best workout for everyone.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:21 pm
seeker wrote:
Parts of BP are near the bay, so if you're saying that's an hour away from you, does that mean you're closer to Prospect Park?

Its a 1 hour walk from 57/15, and thats nowhere near Prospect Park.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:23 pm
What about that huge park on 18th near 60th, I'm sure that has a running track?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
About how old are you? Id take you up on it, if youre close to my age. Im 60ish, and relatively fit looking, but I never ran, so Id want to start slow.

I'm 35 but never ran either and was hoping you'd say we'd start off slow. Maybe even just with a brisk walk warm up. Smile

simba

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:

I drive the opposite direction on Ft. Hamilton each morning and see a lot of frum women walking there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries