Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Questions regarding Pandas

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 12:21 pm
1. Can a child have pandas without having OCD tendencies?

2. About a week ago my daughter suddenly started showing signs of panic disorder. She was having panic attacks and an intense fear of it happening again which kept a vicious cycle of attacks happening again and again.

But we started therapy and I have done a lot of intense talking therapy with her as well and the intensity is slowly passing but the anxiety and fear still remain. We were at the dr who did bloodwork and we are waiting to hear back if it's pandas but he thought it was highly likely. I'm just wondering if the intensity is passing would they still treat it medically if it came back as indicating pandas .

3. Any survival tips took we get to normal. She's not going to school and she's staying within 5 inches of me almost constantly. It's getting kind of draining and stressfull.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 6:34 pm
Bump! Anyone? ?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 6:36 pm
You do not haveto have OCD. My daughter started to panick, couldn’t go to school, huge fear of eating , the anxiety was so bad. She changed from one day to next. Did they do throat culture beside for blood work?

amother
White

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 6:56 pm
anxiety, fears, separation anxiety, ocd, it's all on the same spectrum, so yes, this certainly qualifies as far as pandas is concerned. As an aside, ocd in children doesn't always present typically, it can be very hard to catch, so it may be there you're just not picking up on it yet.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 7:05 pm
My child had pandas without ocd but his behavior went wacko- irritable, explosive, self isolating, shut down... No clue when he actually had strepbut to showed up randomly in his blood work. Each time he was on antibiotics we'd see an immediate drastic improvement and decline as soon as he finished the course of actibiotics. It took a long time and a couple of antibiotics but bh it's resolved now.
It's good that your doctor is recognizing signs, most familiar when it's not textbook classic....
Good luck!!

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 8:32 pm
My son has pandas and doesn't have typical OCD. He had severe panic attacks, school refusal and separation anxiety, explosive behaviour, severe food restriction, when to the bathroom constantly etc...we are still journeying toward recovery and he was diagnosed 7 months ago.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:09 pm
Thanks so much you are all describing what we are going through this week from one day to the next. However one thing I am wondering is she's shown irritability and anger for a little while now but I just thought that was her behavior at this age now I'm thinking might be the early part of this.

Dr. Is definitely on the ball and he called back this evening that bloodwork indicates that we should start a month of antibiotics and see where that takes us. Pharmacist said insurance won't cover as pandas isn't a recognized diagnosis certainly not as a first diagnosis. We are in NY does anyone have any guidance how to get this covered? Can a month really be sufficient to get rid of this? I want to get rid of this at the first attempt not play a game for many months.

Amother above who's dealing for 7 months how are you surviving? This is so challenging I can't stop life for a year now.

amother
White

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:16 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks so much you are all describing what we are going through this week from one day to the next. However one thing I am wondering is she's shown irritability and anger for a little while now but I just thought that was her behavior at this age now I'm thinking might be the early part of this.

Dr. Is definitely on the ball and he called back this evening that bloodwork indicates that we should start a month of antibiotics and see where that takes us. Pharmacist said insurance won't cover as pandas isn't a recognized diagnosis certainly not as a first diagnosis. We are in NY does anyone have any guidance how to get this covered? Can a month really be sufficient to get rid of this? I want to get rid of this at the first attempt not play a game for many months.

Amother above who's dealing for 7 months how are you surviving? This is so challenging I can't stop life for a year now.
Here are the codes for pandas https://www.findacode.com/aha-......html We're in NY we've never had a problem getting months of abx approved. No clue how they billed it, they can just bill it as strep or whatever.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:55 pm
amother wrote:
Here are the codes for pandas https://www.findacode.com/aha-......html We're in NY we've never had a problem getting months of abx approved. No clue how they billed it, they can just bill it as strep or whatever.

Thanks do I give this to the pharmacy? Also do you have private insurance or marketplace or medicaid? If you don't mind sharing that would be helpful.

Thanks so much. Seems from your post you've done months a few times is this for same child? How many times?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics