Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Having difficulties with children sharing a room

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 12:50 am
How do I keep my 4 year old from climbing into the baby's crib? They currently share a room and it was working beautifully until recently. I put the 4 year old to bed first and give him time to settle down while I nurse the 9 month old. Often the baby falls asleep while nursing or right after I put him in the crib and my 4 year old used to listen when I reminded him to be quiet and not wake the baby.

More recently the baby is still awake when I put him in and the 4 year old riles him up and they keep each other awake for far too long. Twice this week I've gone in to settle them back down and found the 4 year old in the baby's crib. The first time I gave him a talking to and the second time I have to admit that I yelled and confiscated a stuffed animal for the night to punish him. I'm not proud of that reaction but I was desperate.

The real solution is to put them in separate rooms, which is the long term plan. There are some logistics that need to be worked out first so I need some short term solutions to get them to go to sleep quietly. I'm really at my wit's end because it not only kills my night to keep on shushing them but it makes mornings so much harder. The 4 year old especially is so tired in the mornings that it's hard to get him up and off to school and the baby gets cranky if he doesn't get a long nap.

Ideas?

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 1:43 am
Following

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 8:05 am
I only put in the second kid in the room when the first is already asleep.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 8:22 am
I put them to sleep separately then move them in together

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:05 pm
If you have no where else to put your 4 yo, have him go to sleep in your room and transfer him later.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:46 pm
I have only one bedroom that all three of my kids share. I sit in the room with them until 2/3 are sleeping, otherwise there's too much monkey business. Is that an option for you? When I'm there they fall asleep pretty quickly, so I'm not sitting there all night. Of course I would rather be doing other things, but I prefer to avoid a nightly circus.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:56 pm
I put my five year old to sleep in my bed, the baby in his crib in their room, until both are asleep, then I transfer the five year old

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:10 am
I had a kid who climbed. I punished, after explaining why not to do it

I say kuddos to women who are ready to stay in a dark room etc, I could not!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics