Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What is the salary of a mikveh lady?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 5:16 pm
How much do mikveh ladies get paid?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:20 pm
Depends what you mean by Mikvah lady. In our community, receptionist and mikvah lady generally get paid $15/hour and some are paid more based on seniority. There's also someone who "runs" the Mikvah (scheduling, hiring, etc) and I think thats a salaried more full-time position

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:27 pm
As far as I am concerned, it's a volunteer position. I would do it for nothing.

But since our mikvah is located in the JCC, the JCC insists on paying us a small amount for the night we are on duty. It is twenty dollars per every night one is on duty. (We are mostly on once a week, and some may be less frequently.) For me when I am there for a short time on Friday night, it's a nice token, but for the attendant who is there for several hours on a weekday, it isn't very much compensation for their time. That's my experience.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:42 pm
I was a mikvah lady for 5 years in a nyc mikvah. I was paid $450/week and we lived in the apartment above the mikvah, the “free” accommodations were considered to be part of my salary. Utilities and water were also included.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 8:56 pm
amother wrote:
I was a mikvah lady for 5 years in a nyc mikvah. I was paid $450/week and we lived in the apartment above the mikvah, the “free” accommodations were considered to be part of my salary. Utilities and water were also included.

Wow, nice deal.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 7:58 am
free

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 8:53 am
Cheiny wrote:
Wow, nice deal.

Not really, although it sounded like it when we took the job.

The mikvah board specifically hired a young family to take this job because the women in the community (massive community) wanted a mikvah lady who was more "with it" than who they had in the past. So do the math. We had 4 kids to pay tuition for and food to buy. BH the schools were generous with financial assistance but it didnt make the mikvah look too good when the schools saw our salary. It was a very hard time and we regretted it the second we moved in. I had to work 6 days a week including shabbos and on my one night off, I wasn't allowed to leave the premises in case there was an emergency. They gave me 2(!!!) weeks off when I had a baby (including the time in the hospital post c-section) and only gave me so "long" because they didn't want the liability of me walking up and down the stairs. So anytime anyone else in my family left the apartment at night, I'd get a call up on the intercom (on the wall in the apartment) that I'm not supposed to be going up and down and if I can, I should come back to work. So I was a prisoner for 2 weeks.

I will never ever take another job with a "free" apartment again. Even though it was part of my salary, it wasn't ours to really live in. Hard to explain.

We took the job on the condition that my husband would be free to get another full time job as long as he would be able to fulfill his mikvah duties first - he had to take care of the mens mikvah on premises and we shared the responsibility of the keilim mikvah. So my husband had another full time job and during the summers, I worked at a camp during the day so I could send my kids to camp. (I'm sure by now, people in my old community figured out who I am). But the unspoken realities of his mikvah job made it very hard for him to do his other job and our bosses were constantly calling us and making mean threats.

We had no idea what we were coming into. Thats for another thread. It was a huge mistake.

The mikvah board realized their mistake in hiring a young couple so when we left (our choice to move), they hired another older woman to take the job.

The other women who worked at the mikvah were paid $50/night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics