Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Please help me be dan l'kaf z'chus
Previous  1  2

Sebastian

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:21 pm
amother I would look to move and let the landlord know. Your situation is not normal.

Otherwise talk to the utility companies about installing 2 meters.

IMO, your neighbors have their priorities screwed. That's the most dan l'caf zchus I can be.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:28 pm
Sebastian wrote:
amother I would look to move and let the landlord know. Your situation is not normal.

Otherwise talk to the utility companies about installing 2 meters.

IMO, your neighbors have their priorities screwed. That's the most dan l'caf zchus I can be.

The tenant can't get a second meter in the house.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:32 pm
so call the landlord "landlord, if we cannot get 2 meters, we will look to move. Also, on the advice of our rav, we will be informing any future tenants about the utility issue. what do you want to do?"

If it effects his pocket he'll do something.

Librarian

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:58 pm
Move!

DVOM

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 7:24 pm
We had this exact same issue in an apartment in Lakewood where the utilities were shared between our basement apartment and our upstairs neighbor. The first time it happened we ignored it, but when it happened a second time we called the rental company and told them that if it happens again we would deduct off our rent the cost of renting a hotel room for every day the utilities or water were shut off. They evicted the upstairs tenant soon after and separated the meters.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 7:39 pm
The electricity and water are under my neighbors name and the bills go to them. It's not possible to get 2 meters. My landlord said that he had tenants way worse than them and he never threw out tenants. I guess we should start looking around but I live on a great block with great neighbors..... we wont find that so fast elsewhere.

Librarian

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 7:43 pm
It seems to me HKBH is really giving you a push to leave - you clearly would not move if you had your way so who knows how much better things can be for you when you finally do!

groovy1224

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
The electricity and water are under my neighbors name and the bills go to them. It's not possible to get 2 meters. My landlord said that he had tenants way worse than them and he never threw out tenants. I guess we should start looking around but I live on a great block with great neighbors..... we wont find that so fast elsewhere.

Great. If he never throws out tenants, pay the whole bill and deduct the half the other tenant owes from the rent. Now it's his problem to collect their half, and you have your utilities.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:10 pm
Sorry this is one of those situations where the only solution is to move(u said meters cant be separated). You said these ppl are spending their money on "non essentials" instead of first spending it on essential things like water....

Since u are sharing bills with ppl who dont know how to budget, then nothing will change unless u are going to be in charge of their finances and youll budget for them WHICH U CANT DO. So, either stay and know the water will continue to be shut off....or ull have to move.

I had an apartment that I wanted to stay in because of many reasons and wen I couldnt deal with a problem a neighbor created that affected me daily, I was forced to move. In the end, I realized it was hashems way of pushing me out to something better. Bh.

Anyway, regarding dan lkaf zechus I dont think this means that we should be "blind" to a reality. I dont think it means that we should ignore the facts here that the water keeps being shut off because they say they dont have money....I thought dan lkaf zechus are for grey areasand here(u can ask a rav to clarify), even if someone were to claim that maybe they are getting expensive toys...from others...that still doesnt solve the problem u have from these ppl which is that they are not paying their share of the bill which puts u in danger of having ur water shut off.

So even if u were to say ill judge them favorably....how would that help u come up with the money for their share of the bill to avoid water shutoff?? Or are u saying that if u knew that they really dont have money and are not spending on luxeries, then ull pay their share of the bill every month??

Hatzlacha but I think u have to move or accept water shutoff as the new norm"".

heidi

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 4:04 am
amother wrote:
Legally the house is a one family house, so the meters cant be divided. The water company threatened to shut our water, a night before they where to do so, the neighbor calls at 12 am and asks to borrow $2500 to pay up!! I said no way he started screaming at me that it's my fault that the water will be shut because I dont want to lend him the money! I was speechless!

People who knowingly rent illegal apartments cannot be expected to be paragons of honesty and respectability.
I guess that's the price you buy for choosing to live in an illegal space

imasoftov

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 4:37 am
amother wrote:
Legally the house is a one family house, so the meters cant be divided.

You're not a victim, you're a volunteer.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 8:12 am
heidi wrote:
People who knowingly rent illegal apartments cannot be expected to be paragons of honesty and respectability.
I guess that's the price you buy for choosing to live in an illegal space

That's how the rentals work in Monsey. Only a few years ago did they start building condos with legal accessory apartments .
It's extremely difficult to even find a legal vacancy unfortunately.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 8:15 am
Most rental apartments in Mosney are illegal. If I where to find an apartment to move to, chances are that it will be illegal as well.

watergirl

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 8:22 am
amother wrote:
Most rental apartments in Mosney are illegal. If I where to find an apartment to move to, chances are that it will be illegal as well.

Soapbox moment, please feel free to skip.

I am so amused/saddened by this thread and the other thread about moving from BP to Monsey. They way Monsey is described with terms like “yeshivish” and “chassidish” but the terms are describing superficial behaviors. And here, with frum people who do illegal things. Its so disappointing. Its antithetical to a Torah way of life.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 8:44 am
Watergirl, its not so black and white. It's illegal for the landlord to list/register it as 2 separate apartments. But I dont think it's an issue to live there.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 9:04 am
amother wrote:

I've only lived in legal apartments in Monsey. There are plenty. They are not the new fancy chassidish buildings but they do exist and are not few and far between. There is Victoria Gardens, Royal Gardens, Blueberry Hills, a huge development in Spring Valley that was not built to be chassidish but somehow turned chassidish. You have to look. It may not be as big and beautiful but legal definitely exists. And not just in the past few years.

No, I don't think you are at fault simply because you are in an illegal apartment. I'd do what someone upthread suggested since he wont throw out tennants. Pay the whole bill and deduct from rent. Though if bill is in other tennants name you may run into issues with them taking the money you give them to pay the bill and using it for other things. Good luck!

watergirl

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 9:26 am
amother wrote:
Watergirl, its not so black and white. It's illegal for the landlord to list/register it as 2 separate apartments. But I dont think it's an issue to live there.

I was referring to the landlord.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 9:58 am
Amother mint, most of these complexes are not chassidish. I live near royal gardens, it's so disgusting I dont know how people live there. And they're full of [other] people as well. It's like living in a bungalow. These projects are city owned and its not easy to get an apartment there. Its rent controlled so people pass it on to their relatives and they dont give in that they moved. Talk about illegal.......the apartments are taka legal, but the people living there can legally not live there.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 12:45 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
That's how the rentals work in Monsey. Only a few years ago did they start building condos with legal accessory apartments .
It's extremely difficult to even find a legal vacancy unfortunately.

Shabat 41a: 'Rabbi Zeira was avoiding being seen by his teacher, Rav Yehuda, as Rabbi Zeira sought to ascend to Eretz Yisrael and his teacher disapproved. As Rav Yehuda said: Anyone who ascends from Babylonia to Eretz Yisrael transgresses a positive commandment, as it is stated: “They shall be taken to Babylonia and there they shall remain until the day that I recall them, said the Lord” (Yirmiyahu 27:22)'

I don't know anyone who says that about Monsey, however. And I'm not pushing for aliya here, it seems to me that even R Yehuda allowed moving from one part of Bavel to another.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics