Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
One week in Europe?

Rappel

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 7:36 am
We're planning a possible family get-together in Europe this summer.

Where would you go for a week with young kids? (Please also mention kosher options in the area.)

Rappel

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 9:28 am
Bump, before it falls off the face of imamother

Chloe

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 11:11 am
What ages are the kids?

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 11:12 am
London, Antwerp, Paris

Rappel

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:15 pm
Chloe wrote:
What ages are the kids?

4, 3, and 1.5. We're looking for a place with a lot of local interest/culture/history, enough that we would enjoy it for a week without having to move the kids too far from wherever we're staying.

Rappel

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:19 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
London, Antwerp, Paris

I've heard Paris is no longer what it once was.

What did you love about London, Antwerp?

We're probably looking for a place with charm, history, and culture. Small towns/countryside are also appreciated. Natural beauty is a definite plus, as we're all avid hikers, bikers, and horsemen.

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:25 pm
Rappel wrote:

We're probably looking for a place with charm, history, and culture. Small towns/countryside are also appreciated. Natural beauty is a definite plus, as we're all avid hikers, bikers, and horsemen.

How about Tuscany?

There are shuls in Sienna and Florence, and there are even kosher B&Bs in the area (Google). Lots of countryside, lots of nature.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:26 pm
Paris (sorry), Strasbourg?

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:34 pm
Rappel wrote:

Small towns and countryside in Europe can be a bit difficult in terms of kosher food, just sayin'.
Most frum communities and their infrastructure like kosher shops and restaurants are in bigger cities.
However, that's no obstacle if you either tackle the countryside in day trips or else are a bit adventurous and take food and cooking gear/ camping equipment with you.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:38 pm
We did Switzerland, London and Paris one summer.
I think you’ll like Switzerland best- you can stay in a kosher hotel in a nice village, there are many different options.
London and Paris are busy city type, but both beautiful and many different kosher options. You can take a 3 hour train ride from one to the other or a 1 hour flight.

heidi

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 2:02 pm
Austria has at least one, but I think two kosher hotels in the summer. It's supposed to be absolutely gorgeous. Great hikes etc.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 2:12 pm
Rappel wrote:

So it sounds like you’re not really looking for a city trip. And anyway 3 kids those ages wouldnt really appreciate the louvre. The Dutch and French countrysides we’re both beautiful. But not much kosher there that I am aware of. The European amothers will know more, I’ve mostly been to the cities.

Teomima

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 2:29 pm
How about Athens? Lots of history right in the city, including plenty of ruins for kids to run around in. Hikes right in the city and the port is a short subway ride away. The kids would love seeing all the boats, fun ones like giant cruise ships and cool catamarans, and you could take a ride to one of the nearby islands if you wanted.

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 2:29 pm
Rome is another option as it has culture and history but also kosher restaurants. Switzerland is fantastic but crazy expensive- we travel all around Europe but Switzerland is out of bounds due to prices!
It all depends how flexible you are with the kosher options and on your budget - there are a few kosher hotels in Europe or you can follow the local kosher list and get an apartment and cook there.
London is amazing (lots of history, tons to do for families) and has the most kosher options on Europe but it’s a city- not much countryside there!

So: if you want a minjan, kosher stores, restaurants etc: London, Paris, Antwerp, Rome, Amsterdam (great city for a holiday and family friendly too), Vienna (voted the best city in the world to live in and has kosher options)

If it’s the countryside you’re after, Italy, South of Germany if you would consider that (lots of Israelis now travel to the Black Forest and for good reason, the nature is like out of “sound of music) , Austria (same), Switzerland if you have the money 💴

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 2:36 pm
Yes, most kosher is where most people keep kosher -> city or at least big big town.

Countryside, well, there's the list and Toupargel.

Rappel

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 8:45 pm
Thank you all for such lovely suggestions! I'll have plenty to work with here. Again, thanks!

emother11

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 12:28 am
Yes Austria. It is the most beautiful country we have ever visited. Gorgeous Vienna has a amazing variety of historical sites as well as Jewish sites. No shortage of kosher food and restaurants.
There are also.a number of kosher.hotels in the Alps s.a. in Hintetglem in Salzburg approx. two hours from Vienna.
Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics