Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
4yo constantly trying to annoy other family members

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 4:44 am
My 4yo DS is constantly trying to annoy me, DH and his 2 sisters (one older, one younger.)

One of the things he is doing is mocking us and repeating whatever we say. When we tell him to stop, he just repeats us. He also does other things like follow his sisters around and making noise to annoy them, or just staring at the older one and sticking his tongue out. Unfortunately, older DD often over reacts and creates a huge scene, so the situation escalates.

We have tried being consistent with putting him in time out. Calmly warning him that if he continues with what he is doing he will be in time out, but he almost always continues at once, then says "ok, ok, I'm going to be good now" when we take him to time out.

At school, he is not doing anything this extreme, but he has started to tickle the necks of other children just to annoy them. So far, everyone takes it as a joke.

DS behaves well when he is getting one to one attention, but obviously this is not possible all the time and he needs to learn how to behave with other children.

Has anyone else dealt with a situation like this? How did you resolve it?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 4:58 am
amother wrote:
My 4yo DS is constantly trying to annoy me, DH and his 2 sisters (one older, one younger.)

One of the things he is doing is mocking us and repeating whatever we say. When we tell him to stop, he just repeats us. He also does other things like follow his sisters around and making noise to annoy them, or just staring at the older one and sticking his tongue out. Unfortunately, older DD often over reacts and creates a huge scene, so the situation escalates.

We have tried being consistent with putting him in time out. Calmly warning him that if he continues with what he is doing he will be in time out, but he almost always continues at once, then says "ok, ok, I'm going to be good now" when we take him to time out.

At school, he is not doing anything this extreme, but he has started to tickle the necks of other children just to annoy them. So far, everyone takes it as a joke.

DS behaves well when he is getting one to one attention, but obviously this is not possible all the time and he needs to learn how to behave with other children.

Has anyone else dealt with a situation like this? How did you resolve it?

Its official, he is a 4 year old boy. Thats what they do.

If my ds repeats, I say stuff like "I wear girls dresses" and we both crack up.

This will continue until he hits his teen years, and starts to communicate only in monosyllabic grunts.

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 5:33 am
Are you sure your ds isn't a long lost twin or clone of mine? Same age, same behavior. Drives me, dh and his siblings crazy.
I'll follow this thread to see if anyone has a solution.
If not, I guess we'll have to wait for the onset of the monosyllabic grunt stage.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 6:19 am
amother wrote:
If my ds repeats, I say stuff like "I wear girls dresses" and we both crack up.

That's funny because several times including this morning when I was having pics taken of all the kids, he has been devastated to discover that the girls are wearing matching or elegant dresses and all he is wearing is nice trousers and a shirt.

On Rosh hashana, we were all getting ready and he started to lament "ugh… where are my tights?" when he saw both of his sisters wearing them.

Another thing that's a bit more concerning is that there are 2 boys in DD's class who have behviour issues, one quite severe. DD sometimes tell us about the inappropriate things they've done, and if DS hears he starts to emulate them. Of course when DD tells us things, we tell her how inappropriate the behaviour is and why and we have also told her not to tell her brother, but he has got these ideas in his head now and pulls them out as a last resort of naughtiness.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 6:25 am
amother wrote:
This will continue until he hits his teen years, and starts to communicate only in monosyllabic grunts.

If he acknowledges hearing you at all.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 7:22 am
There are products, such as books, games, and videos, that help teach social skills. Also read up under the title, attention seeking behaviors, for tips on how to set boundaries on when it's appropriate to receive attention and when it creates a nuisance. Sometimes it is helpful to give special attention and notice when the child behaves appropriately (even if it is at 6 a.m.) because that might make the child want to seek attention by being good.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 7:37 am
How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk.

You want to catch him NOT annoying his sisters and make a big deal out of it. Make up a catchy jingle. "yerachmiel is such a nice boy and we love him so much"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers