Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How to tell kids we are moving

fish

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 6:40 pm
There is a big chance we need to move (new city, new schools) and I am unsure how to break it to my kids. My kids are highschool age down to elementary age. If you moved how did you tell your kids? Is there anything you wish you would have done differently?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 6:50 pm
I didn't with high school age but all the ages I would say " Dad/Mom was offered an opportunity to xyz, its in place xyz, after weighing the pros and cons we decided to" I would offer the older ones the option of staying put to finish the year or high school if feasable if they don't want to start with a new place and friends.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
I would offer the older ones the option of staying put to finish the year or high school if feasible if they don't want to start with a new place and friends.

This. There was a family in my school that made aliyah while two of their children were in high school. Within the year, their daughter was back in NY and their son was at risk of going off the derech. Friends are the most important people in teens' lives. To rip them away from that is traumatic for them.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total

fish

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 7:38 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't with high school age but all the ages I would say " Dad/Mom was offered an opportunity to xyz, its in place xyz, after weighing the pros and cons we decided to" I would offer the older ones the option of staying put to finish the year or high school if feasable if they don't want to start with a new place and friends.

It's definitely not an option for them to stay behind even if just to finish the year. We have no family where we currently live and they are the type that need their parents around. I would definitely ask a chinuch expert if we should move now or wait till the school year is over but bottom line is they would still be leaving their current school.

fish

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 7:41 pm
smileforamile wrote:
This. There was a family in my school that made aliyah while two of their children were in high school. Within the year, their daughter was back in NY and their son was at risk of going off the derech. Friends are the most important people in teens' lives. To rip them away from that is traumatic for them.

I'm not talking about making aliyah, we are moving to another state. Taking American teens to Israel is a whole different problem. Als ppl move b/c they don't have a choice, they don't actually want to rip their kids away from their friends.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 7:47 pm
Is it possible for your HS kids to dorm in your current town?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 8:36 pm
It is easier on all age children to move after the school year is over with time to settle into the new place over the summer. If that is an option that is great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating