Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Fantastic vanilla crumb cake
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 4:20 pm
estibesty wrote:
Ha I post this recipe in 2012 but now that I got email that there's a reply I'm so glad Bec I forgot about this yummy cake!

It really is delicous, especially made milchig. Thanks for posting!

busydev

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 4:45 pm
Lol when I saw the thread title I clicked it to tell the op to search for estibesti's recipe Very Happy

Fave

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 4:48 pm
estibesty wrote:
Ha I post this recipe in 2012 but now that I got email that there's a reply I'm so glad Bec I forgot about this yummy cake!

You posted it in 2009!

SesameSeeds

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 4:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It really is delicous, especially made milchig. Thanks for posting!

How do you make that Milchig?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 5:26 pm
SesameSeeds wrote:
How do you make that Milchig?

Using butter instead of margarine.
And full fat milk (or half milk and half heavy cream, yum) instead of the creamer.

mommyla

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 5:34 pm
Yum. Thanks for sharing!

estibesty

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 8:13 pm
Oh wow from 2009 that is so funny. Way back then the Internet wasn't as Savy with recipe blogs and what not so this was my go too for recipes Smile!

BeHappy!

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 8:41 pm
Does anyone know if this would work as a cake pop?

etky

Post Thu, Jan 21 2016, 4:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
Using butter instead of margarine.
And full fat milk (or half milk and half heavy cream, yum) instead of the creamer.

I made this cake for Shabbat. I was looking for a vanilla-y cake instead of the usual cinammon crumb cake that I make and thought this one might be it.
It baked up very nicely and the texture is just right but the cake itself is bland and has little vanilla flavor.
I think that next time I will use extract instead of the vanilla sugar for a stronger vanilla flavor and maybe add some salt too.
Also, I can definitely see why the cake is much better made milchigs.
It is pretty much a blank canvas that would allow the subtle richness and understated flavors of the butter and whole milk to shine. The marg. and creamer add the requisite moistness but have none of that dairy goodness.

etky

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 11:57 am
So I served the cake with some macerated strawberries to provide extra flavor and people seemed to like it very much.
I liked the cake's tender crumb - I think it's due to the reverse creaming that inhibits gluten formation.
I want to try to tweak it though so that it can stand on its own.
Aside from using vanilla extract, I'm also thinking of subbing OJ for the parve creamer for more flavor but I'm worried that the texture might suffer since the creamer also provides lots of extra fat while the OJ does not.
Has anyone used OJ in this recipe? Any other suggestions?

ally

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 12:37 pm
etky wrote:
I made this cake for Shabbat. I was looking for a vanilla-y cake instead of the usual cinammon crumb cake that I make and thought this one might be it.
It baked up very nicely and the texture is just right but the cake itself is bland and has little vanilla flavor.
I think that next time I will use extract instead of the vanilla sugar for a stronger vanilla flavor and maybe add some salt too.
Also, I can definitely see why the cake is much better made milchigs.
It is pretty much a blank canvas that would allow the subtle richness and understated flavors of the butter and whole milk to shine. The marg. and creamer add the requisite moistness but have none of that dairy goodness.

What doesn't taste better milchig?
I have given up on pareve cake and serve fruit for desert and make a milchig cake for breakfast instead.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 3:44 pm
etky wrote:
So I served the cake with some macerated strawberries to provide extra flavor and people seemed to like it very much.
I liked the cake's tender crumb - I think it's due to the reverse creaming that inhibits gluten formation.
I want to try to tweak it though so that it can stand on its own.
Aside from using vanilla extract, I'm also thinking of subbing OJ for the parve creamer for more flavor but I'm worried that the texture might suffer since the creamer also provides lots of extra fat while the OJ does not.
Has anyone used OJ in this recipe? Any other suggestions?

I use 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Really good. I also like the cream (or parve version) as the liquid in this cake.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 2:10 pm
Since the cinnamon cake thread has been revived, I thought I'd post an update about this cake too, if only for the benefit of new posters who are unfamiliar with it.
It's also a great 'counter cake', to borrow a term that someone used on that thread, and it's really easy to make.
I think I've nailed a really good parve version of this recipe:
To boost the flavor of the cake I use 3/4 c. parve creamer and 1/4 c. OJ.
I add 1/3 tsp salt to the batter (after I take off the crumbs)
I use 2 Tbsp. of vanilla extract in the batter (after I take off the crumbs) in addition to the vanilla sugar which goes into the crumbs too.
It is a very large cake; I've found that a 10x14 pan is the perfect size.
Another thing I do is use half all purpose flour and half pastry flour which has slightly less gluten. I don't know if that is really necessary (and in the States the flours might be different too) but it produces a cake with a really tender and fine texture.

chmom

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 2:29 pm
I‘ll make it tonight but I’ll add vanilla bean paste and ground vanilla beans as well as 1-2 Tablespoons of whiskey
That way I hope to get a Rich vanilla flavour

shanie5

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 6:40 pm
I have a recipe almost the same as this one. We call it "D'zert whip cake" cuz the liquid is dzert whip or richs whip or the equivalent under a different brand. Its a favorite here.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 9:26 pm
shanie5 wrote:
I have a recipe almost the same as this one. We call it "D'zert whip cake" cuz the liquid is dzert whip or richs whip or the equivalent under a different brand. Its a favorite here.

So, that is actually what I meant by parve creamer.
The original recipe at the top of the thread calls for 'coffee whitener' but somewhere along someone wrote that they use whip and others endorsed this, so that is what I use.
Truthfully, I was initially appalled at the amount of fat in this cake (what with the amounts of marg. + oil too) and I worked to reduce it at the same time that I worked to boost the flavor. I tried all different proportions of parve cream to OJ but found that if I went lower than 3/4 c. the texture suffered.
So, this is admittedly not the most healthful cake. Generally I try to bake with oil and I usually shy away from parve cream/milk substitutes altogether. Therefore, I don't make this cake all that often, but it's a nice treat when I do.

anotherima

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 10:37 am
ra_mom wrote:
I know you asked this a couple of years ago but figured I'd clarify for you now that I saw your question.

Vanilla Crumb Cake
4 cups flour 
2 cups sugar 
2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
1 1/2 sticks margarine (3/4 cup)
1/2 cup oil
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup coffee creamer/whitener or liquid topping
3 tsp baking powder 

Combine the flour, sugar, vanilla sugar, margarine and oil until crumbs form. Reserve 1 cup.
To the remaining crumbs, add the eggs, creamer and baking power and mix until smooth batter forms.
Pour into greased 9x13 pan or divide into two 8x8 square pans. Top with reserved crumbs.
Bake in oven preheated to 350 degrees until toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 40-55 minutes.

Thank so much ra_mom. I just saw this!

rachelle613

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 11:58 am
Ok everyone, I need some advice here- if I'm making a cake for shabbos this week, should it be this one, or the 'cinnamon swirl pound cake' from the other thread? They both sound great!!

Smile

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 12:01 pm
rachelle613 wrote:
Ok everyone, I need some advice here- if I'm making a cake for shabbos this week, should it be this one, or the 'cinnamon swirl pound cake' from the other thread? They both sound great!!

Smile

They are both really yummy. The cinnamon swirl is fluffier. The vanilla crumb is like a pound cake.
If you make the cinnamon swirl cake, the crumb topping works in a regular pan, not a bundt.

chanie303

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 9:27 pm
Thanks for this really old post! I think this is going to be my shalach manos cake this year.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins