Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Changing schools in the middle of the year

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 8:41 pm
It looks like we will be moving in the middle of the school year (yeah, I know...!). Have you ever done it? If yes, any advice on how I can make the transition as smooth as possible for my son (he's 7)?

I'm so worried this will hurt him emotionally. He's a really shy, sensitive boy!

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 10:15 pm
Make sure he is accepted to a school before you move

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 10:14 am
dankbar wrote:
Make sure he is accepted to a school before you move

He is, thanks!

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 9:59 pm
I did when my son was 9, but not because we moved. He was miserable in his yeshiva and we were going to switch him for the next school year anyway. When they agreed to take him mid-year (after being accepted for the coming September) he was ready to go the next day. Didn't even go back to his old place to say goodbye to anyone.

Kids are resilient. Take him on a tour of the new school, have him meet some of the kids.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 10:49 pm
Find out what the culture is like at the new school- what kinds of sports/ activities they do during recess, if they have certain toys or games they bring to play with during lunch, if they do after school activities or go to pirchei on shabbos. The more details he's prepared with, the less overwhelming it will be to blend in.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 11:04 pm
I did it with my boys and was really concerned. But looking back I dont believe theres any issues from that challenge. BH
It was hard for one of them but in the long run worked out BH. We do what we have to.
Try to arrange play dates before and after the transition. Invite classmates over. I had to go out of my comfort zone to reach out to parents and arrange things and be in touch with teachers.
Another thing to note is to just be there for the child - probably have mixed emotions. I had to learn to allow them. Not be afraid of them and believe he would survive and it would be OK and its ok to be sad/ frustrated. I would also recommend a sport/ karate/ swimming or any hobby to allow for emotional release.
I should have taken my own advice.

Basically. If you are doing it. Dont worry ... it’s workable! Bezras Hashem

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jan 11 2019, 10:38 am
I did it. My older son had a really hard time (5th grade). My other kids made friends pretty quickly and adjusted. If you can hold out until the summer, that is ideal. But ideal is not reality and you need to do what you need to do. Just be supportive of your kids and they should be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating