Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Should I stop sending to the babysitter?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:04 am
My baby is around 7 months old and I recently started sending him to the babysitter. He hasn’t been a good eater for a while but with a lot of patience and time I would get him to finish his bottle. Now that I started sending him out (I work full time and I’m pregnant so I really need the help) he’s eating much less because obviously the babysitter doesn’t have the time, patience or love that I do to get him to eat. Since he’s been eating less, he started waking up every three hours at night to eat. Before this, he was sleeping until 5/6 every morning. To be fair, he also got sick right after starting babysitting so he is eating less because of that too. But I’m so torn. On the one hand he needs to eat! I can’t expect a babysitter to work on it for 45 min like I do. On the other hand, I felt like I finally got my sanity back when I sent him out.

What should I do?

Also if you have any tips to make bottle feeding go easier please tell me. He literally would stop after an ounce or two if I let him.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:24 am
45 minute bottles with effort on your part sounds familiar. It was my first baby and nobody told me that this was a symptom of reflux, and dd didn't have regular symptoms. She couldn't sleep through the night either.
Please take your baby to a pediatric gastroenterologist. Hope he gets better soon!

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:27 am
ra_mom wrote:
45 minute bottles with effort on your part sounds familiar. It was my first baby and nobody told me that this was a symptom of reflux, and dd didn't have regular symptoms. She couldn't sleep through the night either.
Please take your baby to a pediatric gastroenterologist. Hope he gets better soon!

He actually does/did have reflux but I thought it was getting better. He doesn’t cry, just doesn’t want to eat. What can the gastroenterologist do other than prescribe Zantac (which he was taking)? Do you have one to recommend in Brooklyn?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:27 am
btw, the frequent night waking could also be his way of getting "mommy time" now that he's away from you all day.

ohmygosh

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:35 am
You need to get to the root of why he is not eating. You have a baby on the way and won't be able to devote that amount of time per feeding.

1. Is he stopping to eat because he needs to burp? Did you try a different type of bottle?
2. Reflux, like a previous poster mentioned.
3. Did you try different formulas?
4. Does he eat any solids? A 7 month old can be started on solids.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 9:17 am
Did you check for tongue tie? I would not continue sending if the babysitter can't feed him effectively.

cinnamon

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 9:18 am
amother wrote:
btw, the frequent night waking could also be his way of getting "mommy time" now that he's away from you all day.

This. All my kids started waking up at night as soon as I went back to work.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 9:36 am
Would you consider starting him on solids?

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 10:04 am
flowerpower wrote:
Would you consider starting him on solids?

I’m trying but he’s not really sure what to do with food. I give him baby jars but not too much because isn’t most of his nutrition supposed to come from formula? What solids can I give that can take over? I really need guidance how much formula plus what foods he needs.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
I’m trying but he’s not really sure what to do with food. I give him baby jars but not too much because isn’t most of his nutrition supposed to come from formula? What solids can I give that can take over? I really need guidance how much formula plus what foods he needs.

Try some finger foods like flutes and bamba. See what he does with it. When they self feed sometimes they eat better. At 7 months he should really start solids. Also, solids make them thirsty so he may drink his bottle better after eating.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
sounds like a medical consultation is in order.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 10:49 am
Please speak to a pediatrician.
Baby rice cereal or baby oatmeal should definitely be eaten daily at this point. you can water them down significantly so he can get used to a liquid and then slowly more thick consistency.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 10:49 am
Try shaking some rice cereal in the bottle before bedtime to make it more filling so he can have a longer sleep.

tichellady

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 11:36 am
Is the babysittter just watching him or other kids?

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 11:47 am
tichellady wrote:
Is the babysittter just watching him or other kids?

There are other kids (which he loves).

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 11:59 am
OP, I agree with others that 45 minutes is very long to finish a bottle. Shouldn't take more than 5/10 minutes. Definitely check it out. Mayb he just doesnt like the formula and needs something else.

goodmorning

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
He actually does/did have reflux but I thought it was getting better. He doesn’t cry, just doesn’t want to eat. What can the gastroenterologist do other than prescribe Zantac (which he was taking)? Do you have one to recommend in Brooklyn?

If your baby does have reflux, it is likely that Zantac is not sufficient and he needs a PPI such as Prilosec or Prevacid.

Definitely consider having him checked out.

octopus

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 12:18 pm
Flutes and bamba for seven month old?! Oy!

Sebastian

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 12:34 pm
octopus wrote:
Flutes and bamba for seven month old?! Oy!

I gave bamba at a young age. It melts in their mouth.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 12:35 pm
Please don't give flutes and bamba for a 7 month old! Start with diluted baby cereal and jars.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics