Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Homeschooling boy in High School
Previous  1  2

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:34 am
mommyhood wrote:
I think this is true for girls but not necessarily for boys. Where I live it's very common for boys to stay in a local yeshiva for the first few years of high school and switch to a dorm for 11th or 12th. In general I find boys switch yeshivas more frequently than girls switch high schools.
true but the vast majority of boys start in 9th

Im very pro homeschooling but high school boy in yeshiva world is like saying you're home schooling for college.

Self study and tutoring is great but he'll miss out a lot.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:51 am
amother wrote:
Sounds like you have thought it out carefully.
However, why does your rav advise against homeschooling him further? Does he have specific suggestions as to where he should go?
I assume he knows you and DS well.
Since there are a number of frum homeschoolers in your area would you consider sending him with at least one of his friends to go with him?

hugs and hatzlocha

Op here. Yes, we have thought everything out. I didn't come on here to defend our homeschooling....just wanted to know if anyone has "been there, done that" and their experiences (both good and bad)

As for the rav: No location suggestions. As for reason. Husband asked, "should we continued through high school like we did with girls" Answer: "No." 🤷‍♀️.

Not sure what others are doing. People are strange...lol. No one talks about "plans". Like with seminary, no one knew where anyone else was applying or considering, until people actually confirmed attendance at one!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 9:37 am
I don't have a boy, so take my words with a grain of salt if needed.

I think that you and DH know your son best.

Does your son want to go to yeshiva, or does he want to stay home a few more years?

Does your DH have a solid background in Torah learning that he can give over to his son?

If this rabbi says your son needs to be learning more, is he willing to teach him personally, or pay for his tuition? (I love people who criticize, but aren't offering solutions, don't you?) Rolling Eyes

There are as many good and bad points to yeshiva as there are to homeschooling. Trust your gut, and daven for guidance. Sometimes Hashem sends a sign that suddenly makes everything clear.

For what it's worth, I have a friend who home schooled their boy who had severe ADHD and dyslexia. With a little extra patience, and the ability to work at his own pace, he became a fine ben Torah and graduated on time with good grades.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 10:43 am
amother wrote:
Op here. Yes, we have thought everything out. I didn't come on here to defend our homeschooling....just wanted to know if anyone has "been there, done that" and their experiences (both good and bad)

As for the rav: No location suggestions. As for reason. Husband asked, "should we continued through high school like we did with girls" Answer: "No." 🤷‍♀️.

Not sure what others are doing. People are strange...lol. No one talks about "plans". Like with seminary, no one knew where anyone else was applying or considering, until people actually confirmed attendance at one!
ask your rav why not

oneofakind

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 12:02 pm
If the whole conversation with the Rav was a 6 word question and a one word answer, I don't think that is adequate for this kind of question.
I also think if it ain't broke, don't fix. I would look into short summer excursions, traveling camps etc. to get him used to be away from home for short periods of time.
Boys do change around during high school much more than girls so it's not weird to go in later. A bad school can really destroy a kid so if unsure, stay put.

dankbar

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 1:00 pm
I am sorry. I got the impression of homeschooling, that you are his teacher. Which didn't make sense that you should know enough to teach your teen son, what he needs to learn in Hebrew Judaic studies. If he has rebbeim who study with him is a diff story. If he has a social network is also diff than just sitting home all day

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 1:12 pm
OP, if there are afew boys that are homeschooled, why dont you form a small yeshiva/class so they should all learn together instead of everyone alone?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics