Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to handle strong minded 15 month old

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 3:21 pm
My 15 month old is extremely strong mindedicated, every time I need to change him it is still a fight (EVERY time) he gets angry really fast and will pull hair, bite, pull or lie down on the floor (and then cry that he has knocked his head!!!)
I am not sure how to handle him, I am trying to ignore when he throws himself on the floor and I am trying to talk really gently and repeat and emphasise everything I am doing e.g. changing... but I am not sure what to do about the hair pulling and biting.
Any advice??? My others never did it.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 3:36 pm
My toddlers preferred to stand when being changed. If it wasn't dirty, I did it that way and they were much happier. He's trying to tell you he's unhappy and doesn't have words yet.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 4:50 pm
oneofakind wrote:
My toddlers preferred to stand when being changed. If it wasn't dirty, I did it that way and they were much happier. He's trying to tell you he's unhappy and doesn't have words yet.

I change him standing-even dirty! Will just lie him down for the first bit... I understand that he is unhappy but he can't do somethings example climb on the table!

oneofakind

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 4:55 pm
For hair pulling and biting I would hold his down and repeat "no hurting. Make s a boo boo" . People need to take chairs away from tables while toddlers are in climbing stage. Is he delayed in any area?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 5:19 pm
He is very active, was crawling really early, not walking but making steps and doesn't really speak he can say mama and dad are and some animal sounds. He defiantly understands a lot as he understands, wash you face, make echad, give a kiss, put on a hat...
My struggle is the hair pulling and biting- and the anger, they way he looks at me when he is angry!

trixx

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 5:28 pm
Give him more independence, more choices and more freedom.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 5:29 pm
Maybe he is teething. Give a pacifier or chewy tube. They are great for biters.

Also, your child may be trying to tell you he is hungry thirsty or tired.

Definitely give child crib time with age appropriate music toys to give him and you a break.

Therapy has helped a lot for my most difficult toddler. bH he is turning 3 and doing amazing!! My husband thought it was balogni but it really calmed him and helped with structured play. So if you are in NY, call striverite and get started in evaluating your child

rgr

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:45 pm
You can try teaching him simple sign language.

He is capable of communicating before he is capable of speech. Sign language helps bridge the gap and ease his frustration.

You can see @flyfamilycoaching and @swaddlebee stories on Instagram for more information on this.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 2:03 am
I don't remember the exact circumstances but I remember one parent saying to another who had just won a battle with a young child, "Congratulations, you've just outwitted a two-year-old (or whatever age the child was), and another, after trying to put four children to sleep and coming back to the living room with one in tow, saying "sometimes you have to let the child win".

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 2:25 am
It's seems like it's a power struggle & he is fighting mom to stand still a minute. You have to be firm, hold him down for a min while you change him, get someone to help you do that or distract him,so that you can change him like give him something in his hands to hold play with while he is lying on floor....

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:11 pm
My 16 month old is really something else. It's almost impossible to get her dressed. She has a mind of her own. (Oh, but she'll pick out 3 socks for herself.)

Changing her diaper right now is extremely difficult, and not doing a good job cleaning her leads to rashes which leads to discomfort which leads to her really not wanting a change. My latest way of getting her to agree to a change is by blowing raspberries on her stomach and telling her she'll get another after I change her. She doesn't quite yet grasp cause and effect but I'm hoping it will stick soon. She does somewhat calm down while I do that because she thinks it's hysterical.

I had to force her to wear a shirt today. She let me put on all her bottom stuff because she wanted to leave, shoes and all, and in order to get her shoes on, she needs her diaper and pants and socks. Ok. But shirt? Uh uh. So she cried while I manipulated her hands in. No way is she going outside in freezing weather shirtless!

I spent 2 hours trying to get her to go to sleep tonight because she thinks it's hysterical to stand up and play and put her blanket over her head and who knows what else.

She goes over to all her siblings and teases them by pulling their hair and taking away their stuff (and running away and being so kind as to return them) and davka goes to mess up games.

I feel for you! It's a really hard stage but I love her anyway. And she is adorable and it makes up for all of it. Most of her antics are with a huge smile on her face.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 5:59 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I feel for you! It's a really hard stage but I love her anyway. And she is adorable and it makes up for all of it. Most of her antics are with a huge smile on her face.

Y'all are actually making me nostalgic for when DD was that age! She was also a very independent and stubborn child (still is), but it was so much fun to watch her personality come through.

OP, hang a mobile over the changing table. Especially if you can find a sparkly one that plays a song. That always helped distract DD long enough for me to get a diaper changed. Otherwise, she'd scream so loud that I was actually afraid the neighbors would call CPS on me. She would also try to flip herself off of the table, which was really scary! Just make sure you hang the mobile completely out of your child's reach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics