Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
ISO great Nutritionist in flatbush for 12 yo DD
Previous  1  2

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:00 pm
Sebastian wrote:
(Ignore me OP)

A 12 yo isn't shopping and cooking her own food. In many cases, if the parent makes changes at home that could be enough. A diet by nature is restrictive and studies have shown that dieting as child/teen can cause disordered eating when older. I've linked to the AAP's statement above.

I had a classmate as well as relatives that were put on diets as children. They lost weight originally but it came back. Now as adults, they struggle with their weight. And they mostly did "healthy" diets like weight watchers (we're talking 15-20 years ago).
OTOH, I know people that were very overweight as children but never dieted or restricted their eating and as adults they were able to lose the weight fairly easily and keep it off.

You quoted my post, but I don't think you read it. I specifically discussed non restrictive eating, and your entire post is about restrictive eating.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:08 pm
I read it. I have yet to meet a nutritionist or meal plan that wasn't by nature restrictive. And I've seen reasonable meal plans made for kids.

If it says to have X, Y, or Z for breakfast then you can't have A,B or C.
If the plan says to have a yogurt, 20 almonds or pop corners for a snack, then you can't have a few squares of chocolate, potato chips or ice cream.

You will argue that the RD will teach the child that potato chips are not good for her body and almonds are a better, healthier and more filling snack. I agree with you but I don't think children should be taught that foods are bad and should be avoided. It can create an unhealthy relationship with food. A better option would be if Mom didn't buy potato chips and they weren't available as snacks.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:40 pm
I'm not really here to argue, so I'm not going to respond point by point to what you wrote. Just want to reiterate that it doesn't have to be about meal plans, it can simply be about education. Sorry op for derailing, I won't be posting anymore.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 5:38 pm
I have heard good things about Boro Park Nutrition group. I'm pretty sure they take all insurances and see a lot of kids.

Joy of Motherhood

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 12:44 am
amother wrote:
I have heard good things about Boro Park Nutrition group. I'm pretty sure they take all insurances and see a lot of kids.

I was curious about the Boro Park Nutrition Group do you know anyone that has experience with them? I'd love to know more details.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children