Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How did you land your software engineering job?

hodeez

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 9:58 pm
I just graduated with my bachelor's in computer science and am actively looking for a software engineer position. I was just wondering how others got their first jobs?

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 2:00 am
hodeez wrote:
I just graduated with my bachelor's in computer science and am actively looking for a software engineer position. I was just wondering how others got their first jobs?

I started working as an undergraduate. I had a very boring work-study job doing office work through the university but I during my freshman year I got to know professors in the physics department and they got me reassigned to do programming for them. Later I found a job advertised on a message board at the university, and during grad school I was a teaching assistant (more contacts with professors) and later worked for fellow students who had a start-up, after that failed one of their investors told me about a job at an established company and recommended me for it. When I moved to Israel a friend who had been in the same university program as me gave me a folder listing many hi-tech companies and the sort of skills they were looking for in applicants, I don't know who made it or how, but I think it came from someone else from the same school, and I just walked into offices of companies that seemed relevant and asked if there were any jobs until someplace hired me.

Also see if your school has a placement office or a bulletin board (real or virtual) with job listings. And they might have job fairs which could be open to graduates as well as current students. If they don't have any of that, go back there and talk to your professors. Even if they have no interest in joining the real world themselves they'll have heard where other students are now work.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:46 am
My first position was an internship at minimal pay - which led to a full-time salaried position.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 11:09 am
1. Got job working at professor’s work as intern. Got hired.
2. Sent out 100s of resumes. The guy who hired me was desperate. The situation was so weird. But I’m still there years later.

Where I work now they hire many interns and a lot of them stay on permanently.

There is frum programmer slack group that people network for jobs.
Try joining ‘women in technology’ meetups in Lakewood and then contact one of the leaders for the slack info?

1Life2Live

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 12:39 pm
Networking! I asked every person I knew who worked for any company if they could give in my resume. Submissions from reputable employees get more recognition and are less likely to go into the black hole.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 2:16 pm
I was lucky enough to get my first job in the same company that employed my father. He gave my resume to HR, and they hired me (in a totally different area of the company.)

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 3:17 pm
I work for the government and have for the past 18 years since I graduated college. Troll usajobs.gov. Some agencies take more recent grads than others and location also makes a difference. Hatzlacha.

hodeez

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 5:58 pm
1Life2Live wrote:
Networking! I asked every person I knew who worked for any company if they could give in my resume. Submissions from reputable employees get more recognition and are less likely to go into the black hole.

How long did it take for you to land the job?

hodeez

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 5:58 pm
Thank you for all the responses! What were the interview processes like for your jobs?

eagle

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:10 am
In college I was accepted to UBS's GTP program. Which means I interned there for the summer and then was accepted to complete a 2 year program there. Most of us in tech left before 2 years was even over (stay away from the corporate world if you can). I used an agency to find a new job. This is a great field to be in right now. LinkedIn is a really great option to find a job. I'm constantly getting messages for new job opportunities.

EMEN

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:23 am
hpenny wrote:
(stay away from the corporate world if you can)

Why do you feel it's better to stay away from corporate?

eagle

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 10:30 am
In the corporate world there are a lot of politics in upper management. Also from a technical level change is much harder and takes longer so I feel like they don't keep up with the latest technology and are behind. The environment is also not as flexible and more demanding. (As a side comment in the corporate world you still usually need to wear business attire.) In general there are a lot of software development policies that just slow the whole process down.

1Life2Live

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:13 am
hodeez wrote:
How long did it take for you to land the job?

If there was already an open job req, then I just went through the regular process. Differs between companies and departments, but if someone you know hands in your resume and you're qualified, then it takes a shorter time to land an interview.

1Life2Live

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:16 am
hpenny wrote:
In the corporate world there are a lot of politics in upper management. Also from a technical level change is much harder and takes longer so I feel like they don't keep up with the latest technology and are behind. The environment is also not as flexible and more demanding. (As a side comment in the corporate world you still usually need to wear business attire.) In general there are a lot of software development policies that just slow the whole process down.

Totally agree, except for the business attire part. That would depend on where the office is located and which business you support. Worth it to speak to someone who works in tech in a large corporation and see why they like it. It's not all bad Very Happy

eagle

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:21 am
I love the work life balance at my current job. For years I was working at home on Wednesdays and Fridays. The days I was working from the office I would arrive 9:30am and leave at 4:15pm. Just recently for circumstances that weren't up to me I am now completely remote and working from home. I have unlimited PTO as well.
You won't find these benefits and schedule at most corporate jobs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics