Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
The NY TIMES: fake news

Cheiny

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 6:36 pm
https://www.foxnews.com/world/.....ganda

Is it a wonder they are known as fake news? Despicable.

Fox

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 7:17 pm
Same category as Alex Jones. They occasionally get something right, but usually by accident.

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 7:39 pm
I saw the title and thought “This is probably Cheiny’s thread.”
Smile
Why do you say so? I don’t think they are so off at all

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 7:42 pm
Oh just noticed the link. Wow that’s bad.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:05 pm
I just skimmed the Fox News article so maybe I missed it but I didn’t see anything about the tweet being fake news. People were offended that the NYT was legitimizing a terror group, which I agree with. But cheiny, if you fake fake news then you are what profess to hate.

Last edited by dancingqueen on Tue, Dec 25 2018, 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

simcha2

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:31 pm
Did you read the NYT article or just the Fox summary?

Fox

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:38 pm
I'm on my phone, so I can't search easily for a link, but Dean Baquet's interview with NPR's Terry Gross from a year or so ago provided amazing insight into the ramifications of living in a bubble. Scary stuff.

simcha2

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:48 pm
Fox wrote:
I'm on my phone, so I can't search easily for a link, but Dean Baquet's interview with NPR's Terry Gross from a year or so ago provided amazing insight into the ramifications of living in a bubble. Scary stuff.

Am I missing something? (Probably am, just can't work out what this is in reference to on this thread) .

Anyway, I suggest reading the fox article and the NYT article side by side. Illuminating.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 9:27 pm
Did anyone bother to actually read the article - the link posted had nothing to do with the actual NY Times article but was intended to inflame the sensibilities of ______ like Cheiny and their ilk :-)

It was a piece on how x-mas is celebrated in what is purportedly a Muslim country and had a paragraph towards the end noting that Hezbollah imported a Santa. That's factual reporting - it wasn't meant to praise Hezbollah as a humanitarian organization.

In fact, if one possesses even rudimentary reading comprehension skills, the article actually pointed out that it was a propaganda attempt by Hezbollah in an attempt to position itself as a political force. That's factual reporting again as one would think people would want to actually be informed as to the reality of what is happening.

I am not sure how this is either "fake" news or slanted as a way of portraying Hezbelloah in any kind of positive light.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/1......html

Buried towards the end of a the fairly long piece - note the third paragraph I have pasted in which it is clear that the Times and analysts recognize this as an attempt by Hezbollah not that the NY Times is publishing a puff piece on the good deeds of Hezbollah. Of course to me this signifies why Trump is able to fool some of the people some of the time because they have no ability to actually sort out propaganda from reality.

This is the small section of the article describing Hezbollah's activities - only the most twisted sort of partisan brain could view it as an endorsement of Hezbollah.

Even Hezbollah, the Shiite political movement and militia that the United States has branded a terrorist organization, has helped ring in the season.

In previous years, it imported a Santa to Beirut’s southern suburbs to distribute gifts. On Saturday, Hezbollah representatives were on hand for the Iranian x-mas concert, an event also featureing handicrafts by Iranian artists, but the organization skipped Santa this year because of financial constraints.

These demonstrations of x-mas spirit seem intended, analysts said, to demonstrate Hezbollah’s inclusivity as a major political and military force in Lebanese society and to highlight its political alliances with Christian parties.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Dec 26 2018, 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

simcha2

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 9:46 pm
But it is so much more fun to get inflamed by fox news rather than, fact check, read the original article and have an intelligent discussion.

Fox

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 9:54 pm
simcha2 wrote:
But it is so much more fun to get inflamed by fox news rather than, fact check, read the original article and have an intelligent discussion.

Lol! Especially since we've abandoned Leah Forster and FlatbushGirl!

Dean Baquet is the executive editor of the NYT, and I found his interview with Terry Gross highly informative in terms of why they have the weaknesses they do, particularly regarding anything to do with religion.

simcha2

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 9:56 pm
Fox wrote:
Lol! Especially since we've abandoned Leah Forster and FlatbushGirl!

Dean Baquet is the executive editor of the NYT, and I found his interview with Terry Gross highly informative in terms of why they have the weaknesses they do.

Fair enough (they just don't apply to this article).

Cheiny

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 10:04 pm
Amarante wrote:
Did anyone bother to actually read the article - the link posted had nothing to do with the actual NY Times article but was intended to inflame the sensibilities of ______ like Cheiny and their ilk :-)

It was a piece on how x-mas is celebrated in what is purportedly a Muslim country and had a paragraph towards the end noting that Hezbollah imported a Santa. That's factual reporting - it wasn't meant to praise Hezbollah as a humanitarian organization.

In fact, if actually possesses reading comprehension, the article actually pointed out that it was a propaganda attempt by Hezbollah in an attempt to position itself as a political force. That's factual reporting again as one would think people would want to actually be informed as to the reality of what is happening.

I am not sure how this is either "fake" news or slanted as a way of portraying Hezbelloah in any kind of positive light.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/1......html

Buried towards the end of a the fairly long piece - note the third paragraph I have pasted in which it is clear that the Times and analysts recognize this as an attempt by Hezbollah not that the NY Times is publishing a puff piece on the good deeds of Hezbollah.

Even Hezbollah, the Shiite political movement and militia that the United States has branded a terrorist organization, has helped ring in the season.

In previous years, it imported a Santa to Beirut’s southern suburbs to distribute gifts. On Saturday, Hezbollah representatives were on hand for the Iranian x-mas concert, an event also featureing handicrafts by Iranian artists, but the organization skipped Santa this year because of financial constraints.

These demonstrations of x-mas spirit seem intended, analysts said, to demonstrate Hezbollah’s inclusivity as a major political and military force in Lebanese society and to highlight its political alliances with Christian parties.

You’re actually so busy trying to throw zingers, that you always assume, and you know what they say about the word “assume.” The fake news label is for the NYT.

shyshira

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 10:06 pm
Cheiny wrote:
You’re actually so busy trying to throw zingers, that you always assume, and you know what they say about the word “assume.” The fake news label is for the NYT.

Zinger alert.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 12:25 pm
Cheiny wrote:

Your remark makes no sense - why I am not surprised.

This isn't "fake news" by the NY Times - it's accurate factual reporting - the link you posted originally is propaganda in that it misinterprets a NY Times article to inflame people like you who have no ability to separate factual reporting from their own political biases and prejudices.

Why would you label it Fake News except to attempt to discredit the NY Times which is acknowledged by almost every mainstream media watch group as having extremely accurate news reporting.

shyshira

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 12:38 pm
Amarante wrote:
Your remark makes no sense - why I am not surprised.

This isn't "fake news" by the NY Times - it's accurate factual reporting - the link you posted originally is propaganda in that it misinterprets a NY Times article to inflame people like you who have no ability to separate factual reporting from their own political biases and prejudices.

Why would you label it Fake News except to attempt to discredit the NY Times which is acknowledged by almost every mainstream media watch group as having extremely accurate news reporting.

Maybe it would be helpful to understand what OP is trying to accomplish when she starts threads like this. They seem to be something other than "FYI".

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 12:39 pm
shyshira wrote:
Maybe it would be helpful to understand what OP is trying to accomplish when she starts threads like this. They seem to be something other than "FYI".

Given the prolific number of posts, I assume she is paid by a Russian troll farm to target Frum women.

merelyme

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 1:39 pm
Amarante wrote:
Given the prolific number of posts, I assume she is paid by a Russian troll farm to target Frum women.

Thread locked due to inappropriate personal attacks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics