Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Puberty question

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 8:32 am
New mom here.

Yesterday when my 9 year old came out of the shower I noticed she has hair down there already. I was taken aback. I didn’t expect to see that yet. Isn’t 9 young? Her bre@sts are also developing pretty fast. Does that mean she’ll get her period by the age of ten? I’m worried for her. Is it normal at all? Anything I can do?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 8:33 am
I saw my first hairs at 10. I got my period at 13.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 8:36 am
Please don't refer to your 9 year old daughters breasts as boobs! That's weird and wrong!

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 8:39 am
Everyone is different; it certainly doesn't mean she will get her period at 10, but if she will not be having the "talk" in school soon, I would be sure to have it with her.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 8:46 am
That usually means within 2 years. But she needs to be educated now. She'll be fine! (And so will you Smile )

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:04 am
If her body is already changing then you need to have this conversation yesterday! Well, obviously you can't go back in time, but you need to figure out what you want to say and how you want to present it and then talk to your daughter as soon as possible.

I got my period at 9 1/2 so I tend to be emphatic about teaching our girls about puberty before they start changing and freak out like I did.

rovh613

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:09 am
I agree you should explain puberty to her.

Am I the only one that thought it was strange that some people see their 9 year old kids when they come out of the shower before they even put on a towel or robe?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:26 am
rovh613 wrote:

Am I the only one that thought it was strange that some people see their 9 year old kids when they come out of the shower before they even put on a towel or robe?

I was waiting for someone to ask lol. She came out with her big towel to go into her room and the front was a bit open so I saw. No biggie.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 11:28 am
rovh613 wrote:

I would hope that a 9 year old would feel comfortable calling mom to look at something if she had a problem. If she can't rely on her mom to tell her things are normal and ok, who then can she rely on to come look at her body, whether for a boo boo or a rash or applying cream?

rovh613

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 11:39 am
amother wrote:
I would hope that a 9 year old would feel comfortable calling mom to look at something if she had a problem. If she can't rely on her mom to tell her things are normal and ok, who then can she rely on to come look at her body, whether for a boo boo or a rash or applying cream?

I agree 100%. She should be comfortable to ask. The op made it sound like when she got out of the shower she noticed it so I was just wondering how she happened to see it. I didn't mean to come across in a negative way. I agree all kids should be comfortable approaching their parents with any question.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 12:55 pm
Its totally normal for a mom to see their 9 year olds naked. Many 9 year old kids still need help washing their hair.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:
Its totally normal for a mom to see their 9 year olds naked. Many 9 year old kids still need help washing their hair.

I washed my daughters long frizzy hair until she was 8

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 1:20 pm
rovh613 wrote:

It depends on the kid. My ten year old son will walk around stark naked.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 1:29 pm
9 is on the young end, but not too young. Doesn't mean she will get her period right away. Google stages of puberty. It's very helpful!
I have 7 daughters. My oldest ones have all been different in when they got their periods. And the pattern of who got what when was also surprising. But we all just roll with it! I can totally tell my 10 year old is developing faster than my 12 year old.

Also, if you freak out, she'll freak out and be weirded out!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 1:33 pm
OP I had gotten my first pubic hairs at 9 , but got my period at 14.
My sisters daughter also got her hairs at 9 and got her period at 11.5

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 1:34 pm
Isnt puberty at 9 a reason for concern??
I read that if mom was exposed to certain chemicals when pregnant, it can cause early puberty in the child.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
Please don't refer to your 9 year old daughters breasts as boobs! That's weird and wrong!

Off topic but why on earth is it weird or wrong to refer to breasts as boobs?! 🤔

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 2:18 pm
Boobs is a s-xual/vulgar word for breasts.
OP has changed it already.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 2:41 pm
amother wrote:
Isnt puberty at 9 a reason for concern??
I read that if mom was exposed to certain chemicals when pregnant, it can cause early puberty in the child.

I wasn’t exposed to anything during pregnancy. In the summer when we did well visits I asked the pediatrician if it’s normal that she is starting to develop on top. He said it’s on the younger side but definitely normal. But now with it progressing in other ways I got concernced. That’s why I am wondering what other peoples experiences are.

rovh613

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:
I wasn’t exposed to anything during pregnancy. In the summer when we did well visits I asked the pediatrician if it’s normal that she is starting to develop on top. He said it’s on the younger side but definitely normal. But now with it progressing in other ways I got concernced. That’s why I am wondering what other peoples experiences are.

If you're still very concerned why don't you try calling your pediatrician and ask him about it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics