Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Take the new job or stay where I am?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 12:37 am
I worked for close to ten years as a bookkeeper for a yeshiva. I loved the flexibility and laid back office but I hated the fact that raises were nearly impossible to get, there was no room for growth and that men were important and ladies were not. A yeshiva office is not a level playing field.

I moved over the summer and got a new job in
a company. I enjoy the work more, and that male dominant attitude does not exsist in this new job. However, I am extremely overwhelmed and putting in way more hours than we agreed upon for my salary. While I work in an office this job exsists online so it never leaves you. I am constantly working from home and even on “off days” I have to login. There is room for growth here but the boss is a tough boss and I don’t get the impression he is too happy with me.

A yeshiva that heard I moved to the area reached out to me and offered me a job. It is better pay than I am getting now. The hours are technically the same but at the Yeshiva it is real. Overtime should not be necessary and I can’t login from home. This yeshiva though will have the same problems as my last one..no room to grow, very hard to a get raise and the general issue that men are more important.

I spoke to them about my concerns and they admitted raises were difficult but kept saying we are a yeshiva it’s a nice place. Ur off yom Tov chol hamoed etc.

Do I give up my job and go to the yeshiva or not?

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 12:46 am
I can't tell you what to do, but if you do go to the yeshiva, stand up for yourself the very first time you face gender prejudice. Some people are so used to preferring males that they really aren't aware when they do it. They may not exactly appreciate having their behavior pointed out, but assuming that they want to treat their employees right, they will respond to a firm but nonconfrontational approach.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 12:54 am
Depends what your priorities are or how important it is to you to "level the playing field" in the working world. If being less overwhelmed, disconnected from your job once you're home, and getting yomim tovim off are important to you then I'd say go for the yeshiva job. You sound like you're going into it with your eyes open (no room for growth, male-centered workplace) but definitely don't think you'll change the yeshiva by alienating people.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:44 am
While its obviously your decision it seems pretty straightforward.
You say your current job has you extremely overwhelmed and never "off" and you re not getting paid for all those extra hours.
You liked your previous job at yeshiva while aware of the "downside".
They are offering you more money than your current job.
You say your current boss isn't so happy with you.
Sounds like you are staying in an uncomfortable place mainly with the hope that there is room for growth while yeshiva job doesn't seem to have that.
Based on what you wrote, Id make the jump.
Nothing is in stone and you could try a different job with growth in the future if you want.
Based on current reality, which is on what Id base my decision,you describe sounds like the yeshiva is the better choice right now. In terms of daily quality of life and paycheck.
Sounds like you are staying with the other based on the hope "room for growth" with which you took it. You might not want to give up the hope or dream but the other sounds like an opportunity to move forward.

hatzlocha with whatever you decide

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:35 pm
amother wrote:
I can't tell you what to do, but if you do go to the yeshiva, stand up for yourself the very first time you face gender prejudice. Some people are so used to preferring males that they really aren't aware when they do it. They may not exactly appreciate having their behavior pointed out, but assuming that they want to treat their employees right, they will respond to a firm but nonconfrontational approach.

No one is doing anything specifically rude or demeaning to women it’s the general environment and assumption. Every single board member and executive is a man. If a parent or someone walks into the office and needs a copy they will walk over to any any random lady and ask - never a man.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics