Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
S/O PHONY CALLS

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 1:01 am
Does anyone else get an automated call with a message saying that my social security number is about to be suspended if I don't call back to resolve the issue?

rovh613

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 1:13 am
dankbar wrote:
Does anyone else get an automated call with a message saying that my social security number is about to be suspended if I don't call back to resolve the issue?

It's a scam. Ignore it and don't call back. The government (IRS, Social security, etc don't call).

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 1:27 am
I know

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 8:09 am
Report it

SecretNinjaMom

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 9:17 am
If I don’t even recognize the number I don’t answer. If it’s important enough they’ll leave a message.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:04 am
Also, I set my phone to automatically reject private or blocked numbers....

rovh613

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:07 am
Tzutzie wrote:
Also, I set my phone to automatically reject private or blocked numbers....

What do you do if it's a legit call? Or do you just means you have not ring and it goes straight to voicemail so that you'll see you have a message if it's a legit call?

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:12 am
rovh613 wrote:
What do you do if it's a legit call? Or do you just means you have not ring and it goes straight to voicemail so that you'll see you have a message if it's a legit call?

Phone calls that come up as private name but have a number go thru. But private name ans private number doesn't go thru. They can leave a message.
A legit person after trying twice and getting voice-mail will call without blocking their numbers. I've had that before. And I apologized, saying that I get too man calls at unearthly hours.... they then know to call me regular.

(I think my kids school sold their tuition phone number list. Becuase it all started when I applied for my oldest for school. Same for my husband. And 9 times out of 10 the calls are from Jewish, local companies. It's beyong annoying)

rovh613

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:15 am
Tzutzie wrote:
Phone calls that come up as private name but have a number go thru. But private name ans private number doesn't go thru. They can leave a message.
A legit person after trying twice and getting voice-mail will call without blocking their numbers. I've had that before. And I apologized, saying that I get too man calls at unearthly hours.... they then know to call me regular.

(I think my kids school sold their tuition phone number list. Becuase it all started when I applied for my oldest for school. Same for my husband. And 9 times out of 10 the calls are from Jewish, local companies. It's beyong annoying)

Ha. I know the feeling. It might not be that the school sold it. It could be someone gave them the school directory or they somehow got it. Or it could even be that got your number from a different list. Either way it's totally annoying. Although for me most of the spam or telemarketer calls I get do have a phone number that comes up.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:35 am
rovh613 wrote:
Ha. I know the feeling. It might not be that the school sold it. It could be someone gave them the school directory or they somehow got it. Or it could even be that got your number from a different list. Either way it's totally annoying. Although for me most of the spam or telemarketer calls I get do have a phone number that comes up.

The ones that do have a phone number I block right away.

I'm pretty sure it's the school becuase it started then. And they only call the phone numbers we have listed with them. Then I once gave them my cell when I regustered my other kid and not long after it started on my cell. I was so angry!

studying_torah

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:41 am
Not those calls but I keep getting various ppl who call and insist I was on their caller ID and they're calling me back.
When I say no one called them they keep insisting I did until I hang up.
Dh says it's a scam but I can't figure out the point.

rovh613

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:46 am
studying_torah wrote:
Not those calls but I keep getting various ppl who call and insist I was on their caller ID and they're calling me back.
Dh says it's a scam but I can't figure out the point.

What might be happening is that some spam callet called them using your number on the caller ID. It makes sense as sometimes I get spam calls that have my area code and first 3 numbers. My DH said they put that number on caller ID so the person getting the call will thing it's a local person calling them and a better chance they will pick up. So it's probably not that the person calling you is spamming you just that they got spammed and they used your number.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 10:59 am
I don't get the point of these spam calls though.

rovh613

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 11:07 am
studying_torah wrote:

I assume that there are a small number of people that fall for these pranks and that's all it takes for the scammers to make money. If one out of 100 fall for it they are still getting good money.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 12:26 pm
studying_torah wrote:

I assume a gullible person would call them back and they would ask for his or her ss number. Then they could use it for identity theft.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 9:25 am
studying_torah wrote:

Hang up before they get a chance to insist more than once.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics