Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Bored at work
1  2  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:13 am
For past few months, I've been bored and not challenged at work. I tried speaking up to various ppl in company but hasn't really helped. I feel guilty getting paid when I'm not really working for it, yet I"m here and available. I also end up going online a lot and read things that I would rather not and then think about them. I think of all the many things I can accomplish if wouldn't be at work such as shopping, cooking, sleeping, exercising, the possibilities are endless. Yet instead I rush to arrive on time and spend all day sitting at desk doing basically nothing. I'm not complaining bec I've been at the other extreme where work took over my life and caused me tons of stress and I don't want to go back there. Yet, I still want to feel accomplished. What should I do?

mom!

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:26 am
I could have written this almost word for word.... I am also bH happy that its not like my previous job that I was expected to be married to. But... I feel so unaccomplished, I don't enjoy my job and I sort of dread going...

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:39 am
Start looking for another job, and when interviewed and asked why you want to leave your current post, say truthfully "I am looking for more challenging work."

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:40 am
zaq wrote:
Start looking for another job, and when interviewed and asked why you want to leave your current post, say truthfully "I am looking for more challenging work."

I've tried this without much success. Other than BP and Agudah office, who else are job placement agencies in Lakewood for really good jobs? I heard some names but wasn't able to get contact info.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:41 am
My job is pretty boring, too, so I listen to podcasts while doing boring work. Maybe that would work for you? There are some really great podcasts out there, that are kosher for a frum person.

I listen to Ben Shapiro’s podcast (daily news, culture and politics overview, with Ben’s brilliant and somewhat cynical perspective. Ben is a religious Jew.), Harry Potter podcasts (this one is embarrassing!), and a podcast about The West Wing (hosted by Josh Malians, one of the actors on the show). There’s also Bari Mitzmann’s podcast, the Woman of Valor WOV podcast, interviewing various high profile frum women...

Last edited by amother on Sat, Jan 05 2019, 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:54 am
1ofbillions wrote:
My job is pretty boring, too, so I listen to podcasts while doing boring work. Maybe that would work for you? There are some really great podcasts out there, that are kosher for a frum person.

I listen to Ben Shapiro’s podcast (daily news, culture and politics overview, with Ben’s brilliant and somewhat cynical perspective. Ben is a religious Jew.), Harry Potter podcasts (this one is embarrassing!), and a podcast about The West Wing (hosted by Josh Malians, one of the actors on the show). There’s also Bari Mitzmann’s podcast, the Woman of Valor WOV podcast, interviewing various high profile frum women...

Thanks, I wouldn't listen to anything secular but just logged on to torah anytime.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:17 am
amother wrote:
Thanks, I wouldn't listen to anything secular but just logged on to torah anytime.

Just be careful. I have a friend who somehow started texting with another man. She really is very frum and didn't mean for it to happen but if she didn't have so much free time at work she said it would have never have happened.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:18 am
What do you enjoy doing? Consider starting your own business. Start during your off hours, and once you build it up to a point at which you can quit your job and devote yourself to it full time, do so.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:35 am
I had a job like that for a couple of years but stuck it out because of the hours and location while raising a young family. I kept myself busy researching and developing a hobby through internet searching.

sarah58

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 9:31 am
I used to have that too... it's an awful feeling so unaccomplished now bh after a lot of nagging I got more work...
is it the type of work or the amount of work?
cuz if it is the type of work you do you shud probably leave....

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 9:34 am
keepgoing wrote:
I used to have that too... it's an awful feeling so unaccomplished now bh after a lot of nagging I got more work...
is it the type of work or the amount of work?
cuz if it is the type of work you do you shud probably leave....

No, it's the amount. Things are just really quiet. I can't leave, I need the income desperately.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 10:04 am
Just want to say this thread is so interesting to me because I've always been extremely jealous of the people who seem to not have enough to do at work. I'm a teacher so at work I'm constantly "on" - I can't take a single moment to zone out, check my phone, browse the internet, etc. Sometimes my husband will message me a video to watch and I'm amazed that he can just do that during the workday. Posts like this make me realize that maybe the grass is not always greener.... Can you read e-books maybe? That's probably what I would do if I had a big stretch of time. Or be productive - look up recipes to plan, do online shopping, pay bills, etc.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 10:07 am
Learn a sellable or useable craft through YouTube such as knitting, crocheting, simple jewelry making etc. you could do it at your desk and come home everyday with a new treasure.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:
Just be careful. I have a friend who somehow started texting with another man. She really is very frum and didn't mean for it to happen but if she didn't have so much free time at work she said it would have never have happened.

Nice excuse. Why didn't she start texting with a woman? There are literally countless online forums for every interest under the sun, from container gardening to foreign languages to figure skating to fortune-telling to challah baking to raccoon hunting to making useful things out of old gadkes. She could have joined any number of groups including imamother and had plenty of scope for time-wasting.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 1:58 pm
zaq wrote:
Nice excuse. Why didn't she start texting with a woman? There are literally countless online forums for every interest under the sun, from container gardening to foreign languages to figure skating to fortune-telling to challah baking to raccoon hunting to making useful things out of old gadkes. She could have joined any number of groups including imamother and had plenty of scope for time-wasting.

It for sure was an excuse. Someone had texted her about a one time legit thing and they started talking a lot. She knows that just because she had time was an excuse for her doing it. The point is she said she thinks it wouldn't have happened if she wouldn't have been able to text so easily at work.

corolla

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 2:06 pm
I could have written this post as well, OP! I also don't have much work since most of the work I used to do has been taken out of my responsibility, for various reasons.
I watch countless makeup tutorials or video recipes on YouTube, read fanfiction, Ben Shapiro is also a favorite, etc.
I would also love to learn a craft such as knitting for example, but it's not really possible to do at my desk.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 2:17 pm
amother wrote:
It for sure was an excuse. Someone had texted her about a one time legit thing and they started talking a lot. She knows that just because she had time was an excuse for her doing it. The point is she said she thinks it wouldn't have happened if she wouldn't have been able to text so easily at work.

I had a coworker who was never at a loss for legitimate things to do at work. If she had no pending assignments, she would straighten out files, replace worn-out folders, retype fading labels, dust off file cabinets, realign books in the bookcases, alphabetize pamphlets, shred outdated materials, assemble literature packets for future clients, and then ask the rest of us if we had anything that needed to be duplicated, collated, stapled, or taken to the mailroom. There was no such thing for her as just sitting around being bored and getting into trouble. A person who really wants to be busy can always find something to do.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 2:28 pm
zaq wrote:
I had a coworker who was never at a loss for legitimate things to do at work. If she had no pending assignments, she would straighten out files, replace worn-out folders, retype fading labels, dust off file cabinets, realign books in the bookcases, alphabetize pamphlets, shred outdated materials, assemble literature packets for future clients, and then ask the rest of us if we had anything that needed to be duplicated, collated, stapled, or taken to the mailroom. There was no such thing for her as just sitting around being bored and getting into trouble. A person who really wants to be busy can always find something to do.

I agree. Maybe she would have ended up talking with the other man even if she was busy at work. I was just shocked when she told me bc she was the last person I ever thought would do that with another man as she has a great marriage and is super frum.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 4:35 pm
Op are you me?? I literally could've written your post. My boss is what you call a control freak so if I don't do something in 10 seconds flat he does it for me. In the past I would get all worked up about this and work my you know what off day and night to try to do whatever is needed so that I could be productive aND show hI'm that im on top of things. Being that he was impossible to please and no matter how long I worked he would still get ahead and follow up with me on anything undone, would continue to handle my work and genrally be on top of me all day and night I completely changed the rules of the game. Now I let him take charge, he does everything and let's me know if there is something he wants me to do. I get paid while he works his you know what off and he loves it because he is a control freak so he needs to be on top of everything and in control.

Make whatever situation work for YOU. If you are bored see how you can benefit from the extra time.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 4:49 pm
I've been on both sides - too busy at work, and not enough to do - at different jobs. In my opinion it is infinitely worse to be really mind-numbingly bored. But if it's a desk job where you just have to be present but not actually doing tasks for much of the time, can you use that time to learn a new skill that you can use in a future job, or on the side, or even just for your own enjoyment? There is so much to learn online.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics