Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Traveling to Europe, give baby mmr?
1  2  Next

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 3:16 pm
I heard that usually you wouldn't give a baby the mmr shot before 12 MOnths. I'm traveling to Europe where I heard there's lots of cases but I'm not sure specifically about the area I'm going to. My baby is 9 months, do I give it or not?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 3:21 pm
amother wrote:
I heard that usually you wouldn't give a baby the mmr shot before 12 MOnths. I'm traveling to Europe where I heard there's lots of cases but I'm not sure specifically about the area I'm going to. My baby is 9 months, do I give it or not?

You ask a medical professional.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 3:43 pm
Yes definitely, 100%. Its safe to give to babies from 6 months.

asd3

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 3:53 pm
It’s safe from six months but when I asked my doctor about giving it to my six month baby because we are going to be traveling he said they don’t gain a lot from it at that age

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 4:39 pm
I asked the doctor. He said it's better to give it but it won't be counted as if she got it. Which I'm not excited about

ggdm

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 6:26 pm
Can you be more specific about the area? At least the country?

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 6:50 pm
Funny because my friend who is travelling from Europe to Brooklyn with a baby is worried about measles in NY.

Europe is a big place. If you are going to city with a measles outbreak you should worry.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:47 pm
ggdm wrote:
Can you be more specific about the area? At least the country?

Amsterdam
I have no idea what it's like there

octopus

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 9:05 pm
The dep of health is recommending giving baby shot for six months and up if going overseas. Really something to discuss with your pediatrician. It is not an early shot. It's an extra shot

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 10:03 pm
please talk to your pediatrician about it and not anonymous folks on imamother...

from what my doctor told me, nursing mothers pass on some degree of protection until the child is 6 months old, and at that point the child is at a higher risk of falling ill chas v'shalom. That's why if in an area with an outbreak, the new recommendation is one at 6 months, and then the regular vaccination schedule.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 3:10 am
"Overseas"? LOL.

e1234

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 4:45 am
I got it for my baby at 7 months in israel as there was someone in my building with it (though my baby was not really in contact with them)

then exactly 1 month later I found out a baby in his babysitting group had the measles
I was very happy I got the shot

he will still need it again at 1 year

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 5:37 am
6 months is in case of emergency. I asked several doctors, as I lost my grandma. I didn't go, because my baby is younger anyway, but they did NOT encourage before one year, esp 9 months.

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 5:40 am
aren't these outbreaks located in big frum communities mostly? The frum community in Amsterdam is very small.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:
please talk to your pediatrician about it and not anonymous folks on imamother...

from what my doctor told me, nursing mothers pass on some degree of protection until the child is 6 months old, and at that point the child is at a higher risk of falling ill chas v'shalom. That's why if in an area with an outbreak, the new recommendation is one at 6 months, and then the regular vaccination schedule.

I think you may have misunderstood your doctor as studies have shown this is not the case. The vaccine is not given before 6 months because children simply won't develop enough immunity for it to be effective and the IgG antibodies from the PLACENTA prior to birth provide some protection up until 6 months. Breast feeding antibodies are called IgA and are effective against different viruses and bacteria.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Dec 28 2018, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 1:51 pm
Raisin wrote:
aren't these outbreaks located in big frum communities mostly? The frum community in Amsterdam is very small.

Going to an airport and going on a plane can expose you to people that are just traveling through and don't necessarily live in the city you are visiting.

ggdm

Post Sat, Dec 29 2018, 3:55 pm
amother wrote:
Amsterdam
I have no idea what it's like there
Sorry, no idea.

ggdm

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 8:43 am
I found some data for you:
https://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publ.....-2018

The Netherlands have had just a few cases in 2018, none in the last two months covered in the report (September and October). I wouldn't worry.

ggdm

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 8:49 am
Raisin wrote:
There are also measles outbreaks in other communities with low vaccination rates, e.g., natural parenting communities. I agree that there would be nothing to worry about in Europe if frum Jews were the only ones with measles outbreaks, as the communities are really small (with the exception of England and Antwerp maybe).

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 8:53 am
ggdm wrote:
There are also measles outbreaks in other communities with low vaccination rates, e.g., natural parenting communities. I agree that there would be nothing to worry about in Europe if frum Jews were the only ones with measles outbreaks, as the communities are really small (with the exception of England and Antwerp maybe).

Off topic, but France has the third largest Jewish population in the world.

I always check with my own pediatrician before traveling and follow that advice.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics