Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Can someone explain this thing that irks me
1  2  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:45 pm
In all the medical tv shows there is usually someone dying and they are performing CPR either shocking them giving epi or in open heart surgery cases shocking the heart with paddles...then the person is flat lining and everyone around is saying time to call it time of death. There is always the one person one doctor or nurse etc who moans no no.. and doesn't give up continueing with manual CPR compressions or massaging the heart in an open heart case. Then miracle of miracles there is a beep on the monitor and the persons heartbeat is back. The person stays alive and all ends well.

Does this happen in real ljfe?? It always bothers me! You mean if not for thr one person who refused to give up this patient would have died? And what if in real life there is no "person" who refuses to give up? Do people really die because there just isn't that one person who insists on continuing CPR even after all the other doctors and nurses say it's time to call it?
How does this work in real life? Really bothers me.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:46 pm
In real life it goes on for a very long time. When they call it, it's often after it's been obvious for some time that nothing is working. No one wants to give up.

GreenEyes26

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 7:49 pm
In real life, if they continue CPR for that long and the patient is miraculously brought back to life, they usually suffer severe brain damage, since they had been effectively dead for a long time. These are the patients that turn into vegetables.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:08 pm
but in real life they continue CPR for that long even though knowing that the person will be a vegetable?
so they never just give up after a few minutes?

oliveoil

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:11 pm
Please do not look to TV and movies for a realistic portrayal of...anything.

I mean, just look at childbirth in literally EVERY movie and TV show. Woman is fine...2 minutes later woman is in active labor...crisis ensues...she cannot possibly get to the hospital in time...someone steps in and she gives birth right then and there no matter where it is...baby is born less than an hour from the first hint of a contraction.

Yeah right.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:13 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:
In real life, if they continue CPR for that long and the patient is miraculously brought back to life, they usually suffer severe brain damage, since they had been effectively dead for a long time. These are the patients that turn into vegetables.

This is not entirely accurate.

Yes, they continue codes for a long time, even though a very small number of patients who code will walk out of the hospital alive.

ETA when I say a long time, I mean on average 20 minutes or more.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:13 pm
In real life the extreme measures don’t work as much as they show on television let alone surviving without suffering extreme side effects because of lack of adequate oxygenation.

My head scratcher is why criminals confess on tv shows. Is there really a criminal so stupid that they don’t know to shut up and ask for a lawyer 😂😂

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:15 pm
I don’t know if the woman was fine but when I was a child my mother picked up a pregnant woman who was waving frantically and the woman gave birth in the car. This was in Brooklyn.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:20 pm
My DH was on Hatzalah and he had instances where they did CPR for 45 minutes. I think there are other factors/circumstances going on with the body that give them some indication of if they should be attempting to continue or not (I know nothing about medical stuff, I'm just relaying what he's told me in the past)

GreenEyes26

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:25 pm
amother wrote:
This is not entirely accurate.

Yes, they continue codes for a long time, even though a very small number of patients who code will walk out of the hospital alive.

ETA when I say a long time, I mean on average 20 minutes or more.

This is true. I guess I’m more explaining the false portrayal that they’re brought back to life, gasping for air, and tearfully embrace their family and all is well. They’re usually not fine, even if the heart gets going again.

brkn

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
In real life the extreme measures don’t work as much as they show on television let alone surviving without suffering extreme side effects because of lack of adequate oxygenation.

My head scratcher is why criminals confess on tv shows. Is there really a criminal so stupid that they don’t know to shut up and ask for a lawyer 😂😂

In real life many criminals confess, along with some innocent people. The majority of criminal cases don't go to court at all because people plead guilty.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 8:30 pm
I can list you 100's of things that happen on TV shows that never happen in real life. Their purpose is to make the show interesting to watch.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 9:10 pm
Even the cooking shows aren’t true to life. They can’t be—it takes more than 30 minutes to cook a meal from scratch, and if you had to wait for the soup to boil and the onions to caramelize, what would the chef talk about in the interim?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 10:28 pm
well I guess it kind of bothers me that the tv shows portray this. That if only there was someone who truly cared enough to want to keep CPR going then your loved one would still be alive- cuz the message is if no one was around to care then too bad patient dies.
I know that TV is all nonsense the drama of giving birth the high speed chases, solving the crime at just the right second.. but none of those give off inherent messages. or even matter all that much to anyone or anything.
I think its the underlying message that bothers me.

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 10:52 pm
The truth of the matter is that past medical history and age play a large part. In a 95 year old patient with moderate or advanced dementia, severe heart failure, kidney and liver failure (substitute out for diabetes or other chronic diseases here), the patient will be coded (receive CPR) for 5 -10 min tops and then the doc will decide to stop. Even a 60 year old with multiple severe health conditions will unlikely survive a code, nevermind survive without worsening of their pre-existing medical conditions.

Remember that code 'blues' are called for someone who has C'V died (their heart has stopped beating; breathing has already stopped) . If this was to occur in their home, in bed, the family would be calling the funeral parlour. (I'm not referring here to people who have 'shockable' rhythms on a defibrillator). So for most patients, the code doctor will assess the patient and cause of 'cardiac arrest', then follow an algorithm for advanced cardiac life support. If the patient doesn't have a pulse after going down the algorithm, then the doc might well decide to stop everything.

Op, do you have a real-life case which is troubling you?

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 11:05 pm
TV is for entertainment; for everything else, there’s...YouTube?

greenteaorange

Post Thu, Dec 27 2018, 11:28 pm
when a person “codes” they are officially dead, they have no pulse. By performing CPR your trying to resuscitate them.
Typically in a hospital setting we perform CPR while giving epinephrine, fluids, sodium bicarb and other drugs, and the patient is generally getting intubated at the same time. This goes on for 25 minutes usually, if the person does not come back then the doctor stops the code.
Generally the doctor decides when to stop and they usually give 25 min.. (if family is there during the code they may decided themselves to stop sooner)
I agree with above most people that survive codes do not have good outcomes, especially in the elderly or very sick patients, patients often get broken ribs and are on breathing machines for a few days if not long term

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 1:19 am
That "oh my goodness, he would have died if the lowly nurse in training hadn't spoken up" scene is just there to ramp up the drama. I can't say it never happens in real life, but reality is a lot more prosaic.

wif

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 1:38 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
The truth of the matter is that past medical history and age play a large part. In a 95 year old patient with moderate or advanced dementia, severe heart failure, kidney and liver failure (substitute out for diabetes or other chronic diseases here), the patient will be coded (receive CPR) for 5 -10 min tops and then the doc will decide to stop. Even a 60 year old with multiple severe health conditions will unlikely survive a code, nevermind survive without worsening of their pre-existing medical conditions.

Maybe it depends on the hospital? My father was a bedridden quadriplegic and when he coded, they worked on him for a half hour until his heart started again. They did this two times. (He lived for another week, which gave us all enough time to say goodbye.)

trixx

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 1:50 am
There was a recent story where someone collapsed on the street and hatzalah came, one of the guys knew the man so even when the other hatzalah members said there's no point continuing cpr this one guy continued (for another looong time, in total at least 45min) til he got pulse, got man to hospital. Man recovered. No idea where I read it but it had a pic of both of them together at the seudas hodaah. Maybe rabbi yoely gold column in one of those Jewish magazines?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics