Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meatballs and potoatoes in a crockpot

Beingreal

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 9:49 am
My 7 year old son is very picky and loves meatballs and potatoes. I want to keep it warm for Shabbos and I don't want it burnt. Any ideas?

mom!

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 9:51 am
If this is for tonight, make sure there is enough liquid in the pan. Cover tightly and place on bottom rack on 225.
If for tomorrow, you can do the same in a crockpot. Enough liquid, cook on low-medium.

rovh613

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 10:02 am
meatandpotatoes wrote:
If this is for tonight, make sure there is enough liquid in the pan. Cover tightly and place on bottom rack on 225.
If for tomorrow, you can do the same in a crockpot. Enough liquid, cook on low-medium.

You're the perfect person to answer (your user name). Laugh

ra_mom

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 10:51 am
Beingreal wrote:
My 7 year old son is very picky and loves meatballs and potatoes. I want to keep it warm for Shabbos and I don't want it burnt. Any ideas?

Sounds like it's already cooked. Heat it fully through until really hot - then switch dial to keep warm.

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 10:58 am
Warning the meatballs can get very dry and mealy when cooked from Friday to shabbos lunch. Keep warm is not safe for more then 2 hours. It wont keep the food warm enough to prevent food borne illness. I have tried this before and it has bombed more times then succeeded.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 11:01 am
mha3484 wrote:
Warning the meatballs can get very dry and mealy when cooked from Friday to shabbos lunch. Keep warm is not safe for more then 2 hours. It wont keep the food warm enough to prevent food borne illness. I have tried this before and it has bombed more times then succeeded.

I guess it depends on the specific crockpot. Good idea to test this out first on a weekday. Mine stays perfectly hot.

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 11:02 am
I am willing to take a risk if my husband or I want to eat something that is more borderline but I would be nervous to give it to a child.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 11:02 am
mha3484 wrote:
I am willing to take a risk if my husband or I want to eat something that is more borderline but I would be nervous to give it to a child.

I only use it for soup (including meat slivers).

But I've left leftover meatballs in sauce overnight on keep warm after supper by mistake, and in the morning it was steaming hot and overcooked so I know it's going strong. Very Happy

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Dec 28 2018, 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 11:03 am
If he will eat a meatloaf instead of meatballs, I have cooked a meatloaf in parchment paper on top of my cholent and it was delicious and did not get mixed in with the other cholent ingredients.

smileforamile

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 11:03 am
Delete

Last edited by smileforamile on Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Fri, Dec 28 2018, 11:05 am
smileforamile wrote:
Mine, too. I've tried meatballs, though, and they got burnt on bottom and tasted very dry and disgusting on top. I make different types of chicken, roast, and soups in my crockpot, and those come out great.
Yup. I don't like the overcooked cholent taste.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics