Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Anne of green gables - the whole series
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 10:54 am
any way to bump this up?
Did someone here in Israel find the books?
Does anyone know of a library or someone in Jerusalem who would have them?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:19 am
Still in print and keep getting reissued with new covers. I dont know about Israel, but they are easily available.
Btw, reading the comments about Windy Poplars not being as good as the others...LMM was pushed by her publishers to go back and write more Anne books years after the series wrapped up (after Rilla). She was reluctant to do so, but I think she needed $ at that point. Also Anne of Ingleside was written years later. She herself knew they were not as good

You can finally read her private journals--they have been published, unabridged. Fascinating but sad ( she had a hard life).

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:28 am
You can get it for pennies on kindle if you have a smart phone.

I liked most of the series, even Windy Poplar, but I didn't like Anne of Ingleside or Rainbow Valley.

I think the unabridged diaries are very expensive, I'm actually a huge LM Montgomery fan and I have the abridged diaries. FYI, they're not quite accurate as she edited her life a lot in her diaries. I think her biography was really more helpful in understanding the background behind her books than her personal diary as it had more real information.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:33 am
I see that, but want actual books.
thanks

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:39 am
You can buy the unabridged journals used, for about $20 a volume. You can probably also get them free through inter library loan.
Yes, the biography by Mary Henley Rubio was excellent. That is definitely available in libraries.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:57 am
amother wrote:
You can buy the unabridged journals used, for about $20 a volume. You can probably also get them free through inter library loan.
Yes, the biography by Mary Henley Rubio was excellent. That is definitely available in libraries.

Thanks for pointing this out. I bought my books quite a few years ago and these were not published yet. I wonder if it would be worth buying if I already have the selected volumes? They also do not go all the way as they are missing the last 20 years of her life - which may or may not be of importance.

How do I do an interlibrary loan?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 12:43 pm
If you go to a public library and ask the librarian to look up the books in their system, they should be able to locate them in other libraries. It has been years since I've done it, but IIRC, they can arrange for the books to be sent to your local library (for sure from any library in the state, maybe even from another state). I think when I first borrowed a copy of her journals, it came from a university library. Years ago, the libraries in my state charged a $1 fee per book, but now I think it is free.
I did read the last volume of her journals. I think it was an unabridged version.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 12:44 pm
All the libraries that we go to have the anne books in english and in hebrew. The Ramat eshkol, baka, and beit haam branches. Also steimatzsky has them if you want to buy.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 12:45 pm
I own the first book of the series.. so I believe they sell them separately.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room