Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Another post about Solids

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 2:53 pm
There were a few posts recently about solids, which I read and we're helpful but they didn't answer my specific questions.. so here goes my baby is 7 months and is officially eating solids! From the point you start oatmeal when do you graduate to the next group? (Carrots, sweet potato, banans, avocado) and how long after that do you graduate to the NEXT step? (And what IS the next step? Chicken? How old do they have to be to eat that?) At what age can they eat the finger foods? (Bamba, Gerber food puffs, corn pops) at what age do you STOP with the oatmeal? Also, when adding other foods, do u a) mix it WITH the oatmeal b) feed oatmeal first other food second (example sweet potato) c) feed oatmeal and sweet potato together but from separate jars.. d) oatmeal only one meal, sweet potato only next meal.

FTM here! Thanks for all the help

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 3:02 pm
I give whatever I have that’s baby friendly. Veggies first generally. The easiest is to make a small soup, boil up a few vegetables in a little water. Blend it then mix in some baby cereal if you want a filling meal. Separate it into 2oz containers and refrigerate or freeze.
I sometimes add lentils.
They may like chewing on a piece of chicken.
Leave the fruits till a little later.
I don’t give much dairy until 1 year with the exception of yogurt.
They say to introduce foods at least 3 days apart. I never had the patience.
I am very careful with the first peanut product since my father has an allergy.
Donto think too much about it, your baby may not eat it the way you want to give it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 3:08 pm
They say “Food before one is just for fun.” It’s more about the experience than the nutrition, since baby should still be nursing or having formula.

I actually never gave oatmeal or baby cereal. I started right away on baby jars (apples, pears, sweet potatoes, etc.) I started on stage 1, which is completely pureed, at 6 months. I would wait a few days after introducing a new food before starting a new one, in case of a bad reaction. But within a few weeks my babies had tried a few different tastes.

If your baby is 7 months, you can definitely introduce fruits and vegetables. They have more nutrients than oatmeal anyway. Baby foods should be marked by stage, and it’ll tell you when your baby should be ready (I.e. sitting unsupported, crawling, etc.) When your baby has better control of his mouth, you can start introducing soft foods with a bit more texture. Finger foods like puffs are good for practicing fine motor skills, like a pincer grasp. And you can always give appropriate table foods when they’re ready, like a mashed banana or small piece of challah.

Really, you figure out when he seems ready for something a bit more complicated. Try different things and see what he likes. I was told no dairy until 9 months, but otherwise I built it up slowly. Just remember that this is not baby’s main source of nutrition, so don’t worry about what they eat. It’s just fun practice!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 3:41 pm
I just started my almost six month old on solids. We started with rice cereal , every day a few spoonfuls for a week.
Then we tried baked sweet Potatoe that I puréed . After that I mixed the rice cereal with the sweet Potatoe. And now a week after that I tried pears. I cooked a pear in water and puréed it . My next step will be to thicken it with some rice cereal.
And we keep on adding a new food each week etc.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 4:49 pm
Don't stress over it. Do whatever works for both of you. Some of mine started on vegetables, others on chicken, others on cereal, and all were fine. Finger foods can be given as early as 6 months old, and it's actually recommended to give Bamba from that age to prevent a peanut allergy. Just start slowly and keep an eye on him the first couple of times.

Stars

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 5:57 pm
My doctor just told me to start with veggies, move on to fruits , introducing a new food every three days. No need for cereal at this age if you dont want to give it. I will do as she told me, but if I see my baby needs more I will introduce rice cereal and oatmeal as well. At this age I like to give tiny pieces of soft boiled chicken as well. Your child will generally lead you to what is good for them at their specific age. My older child never wanted the baby jars, so he ate tiny pieces of whatever we were having from day one (with the exception of honey and any choking hazards - nuts, hotdogs etc)

nchr

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 9:33 pm
amother wrote:
They say “Food before one is just for fun.” It’s more about the experience than the nutrition, since baby should still be nursing or having formula.
!

It's very important for babies, including those under a year, to eat foods besides for breast milk or formula.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 10:11 pm
nchr wrote:
It's very important for babies, including those under a year, to eat foods besides for breast milk or formula.

Of course, but isn’t it about learning how to manage solid food, rather than needing the nutrition? They get their full nutrition from their milk. It’s important for them to be introduced to other foods prior to a year so they will have learned how to eat a variety of textures. My point was not to worry if your baby isn’t eating from all the food groups and getting full nutrition from them. This food is for practice now, not nutrition.

sky

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:06 pm
nchr wrote:

I always thought it was more to teach swallowing skills then nutrition.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 1:52 am
It actually depends on the kid. Most of my babies did beautifully on EBF until six months when their weight would drop. As much as I enjoy breastfeeding, they need more food. I don’t want to give solids earlier than I have to, but they do need more calories. My thoughts are nutritious and easy to feed. I feel it’s silly to buy those jars when I’m cooking similar things anyway.

mom!

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 9:16 am
My pediatrician says to start with apples, pears or prunes and introduce one thing at a time. Interestingly enough, one baby broke out from pears. I started with baby cereals after fruits/veggies.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 10:34 am
Thanks all.
Can u give small pieces of baby doesn't have teeth yet?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
Thanks all.
Can u give small pieces of baby doesn't have teeth yet?

They chew with their gums which are quite hard. They eat bread and crackers like that. Bcubed cooked vegetables, like from a soup, they chew.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 11:49 am
My baby is 6 mo.
She gets oatmeal/rice cereal every evening. I mix in some baby food jar for flavor. She has also had mashed veggies from chicken soup, mashed banana, applesauce, and avacado. According to my Dr. She can start yogurt and cottage cheese at 6 mo. 7 mo for finger food, 8 mo chicken/meat. I wouldn't give her anything that has to be chewed yet.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 12:47 pm
I start solids when my babies who were sleeping through the night start waking up again because they're hungry, so usually around 5.5-6 months. I start with the baby cereals mixed with pumped breast milk or formula for the first week or so. After that I mix the cereal into baby food purees because they're usually too liquidy.

We have some family history of allergies so I'm careful to only introduce 1 new food at a time. I give the new food for 3 days to make sure there's no reaction and then move on to another new food. I start with veggie purees and then do fruits. I like the baby jars in the beginning because they're easier and I use so little at a time that making my own for each new food is ridiculous. I do just mash up banana or avocado though. Some brands make combination purees so adding new foods is very easy.

Once I've done fruits and veggies then I make a chicken soup with rice/barley and veggies and puree that to introduce chicken. At that point the baby is already more like 7-8 months and I start giving Cheerios and Puffs and table food cut into small bits. I also start on yogurt/cheese by 8 months or so. By 10 months my babies are mostly eating real food except for honey and anything that might be a choking hazard.

Ask your pediatrician about when to introduce peanuts. The thinking has changed within the last few years and now they suggest starting much earlier unless there is a family history of peanut allergies. We started with just a lick of peanut butter to test for 3 days around 6 months and make sure to keep up with giving PB or peanut products every so often. I only give Bamba as a treat before a bath because it dissolves so easily and my baby makes a real mess with it.

There isn't just one way of starting solids. You have to play around a bit and figure out what works for you and for your baby. Have some fun with it and don't worry about messes too much!

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 4:21 pm
amother wrote:
Of course, but isn’t it about learning how to manage solid food, rather than needing the nutrition? They get their full nutrition from their milk. It’s important for them to be introduced to other foods prior to a year so they will have learned how to eat a variety of textures. My point was not to worry if your baby isn’t eating from all the food groups and getting full nutrition from them. This food is for practice now, not nutrition.

No. Nutritionally, children need to eat solids (in addition to breast milk/formula) before a year. Obviously, if you don't have access to food (third world countries) or cannot afford extra fruits and veggies, then breast feeding is fine, but ultimately, in a perfect world, we should be giving our babies solids for nutritional value and not just "fun." Also, breast milk does not have enough iron, which is why pediatricians recommend introducing iron fortified cereals around 6 months+

Moonlight

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 7:02 pm
Just introduced my 6 mo baby to sweet potato from soup tonight. I mashed it up but she gagged on the strings. Won't give her that again til she's bigger.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics