Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help me O’ seasoned mothers!

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:04 am
My baby is 5 months old. She’s been an easy baby thus far and I’ve been doing everything right - not rocking to sleep etc - and till a few nights ago, she would go to sleep on her own when put down in her crib.

Now she has started to refuse to go to sleep. She cries even with the paci in. She is not hungry.
Naps during the day go better than being put down for good at night. Once asleep she stays asleep for 6 hours during the night and 1-2 hours during the day.
I do not want to sleep train before 6 months at least.
Any ideas?

oneofakind

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:07 am
If she hasn't started solids yet, maybe start. If she started, maybe change what you are feeding her. It might be giving her indigestion/reflux. One of my grandchildren could not tolerate baby jars. Apple sauce from a regular jar was fine and so was a raw banana mashed but if it came from jar, misery.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:21 am
Is she possibly teething?

pause

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
My baby is 5 months old. She’s been an easy baby thus far and I’ve been doing everything right - not rocking to sleep etc - and till a few nights ago, she would go to sleep on her own when put down in her crib.

Now she has started to refuse to go to sleep. She cries even with the paci in. She is not hungry.
Naps during the day go better than being put down for good at night. Once asleep she stays asleep for 6 hours during the night and 1-2 hours during the day.
I do not want to sleep train before 6 months at least.
Any ideas?

Having a baby fall asleep on her own is unusual, so now your baby is acting like a regular baby. Smile
With all my babies I had somewhere between 4-5 months that they got "smart" and starting nursing more frequently and waking up more often during the night. My doctor said it's probably a growth spurt and to feed whenever they ask, even every 2 hours.

You don't mention if your baby is breastfeeding or bottle-feeding. It makes a difference because breastfed babies do wake up more often and need to eat more often.

It's also very possibly the beginning of teething. Even if she doesn't appear to be in pain, it might be enough to keep her awake. Don't be afraid to rock her or soothe her. Snuggle with her, sing to her.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 12:01 pm
oneofakind wrote:
If she hasn't started solids yet, maybe start. If she started, maybe change what you are feeding her. It might be giving her indigestion/reflux. One of my grandchildren could not tolerate baby jars. Apple sauce from a regular jar was fine and so was a raw banana mashed but if it came from jar, misery.

Thanks.
She hasn’t started solids yet, but your post made me think - I had cabbage over shabbos and today - I hear that isn’t so good for breast milk..

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
Is she possibly teething?

Thank you.
She could be! But I would be surprised. During the day she is happy as can be and even when refusing to go to sleep she is happy the second before I put her down. When I give in to her and take her out her crib, she is all smiles!

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 12:06 pm
pause wrote:
Having a baby fall asleep on her own is unusual, so now your baby is acting like a regular baby. Smile
With all my babies I had somewhere between 4-5 months that they got "smart" and starting nursing more frequently and waking up more often during the night. My doctor said it's probably a growth spurt and to feed whenever they ask, even every 2 hours.

You don't mention if your baby is breastfeeding or bottle-feeding. It makes a difference because breastfed babies do wake up more often and need to eat more often.

It's also very possibly the beginning of teething. Even if she doesn't appear to be in pain, it might be enough to keep her awake. Don't be afraid to rock her or soothe her. Snuggle with her, sing to her.

Haha thank you for the reality check! You’re right,I have been very lucky so far.
I am breast feeding - but I don’t think it’s hunger - I put her down immediately after her last feed at night.
I’m just so afraid of rocking her to sleep and creating difficult habits. My older child was a difficult baby and at 1 year old was still not falling asleep on her own because of all the feeding to sleep and bad sleep associations I had created for her.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 1:07 pm
I just had my 12th baby. I rocked all my babies to sleep at first and am rocking this one too. With all of them, when I decided it was time to stop, I did. It was a quick and painless training session that didn't scar them or me, and now they all go to sleep like pros. If she needs to be rocked, don't let it scare you.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 1:11 pm
Don't blame yourself for your baby's sleeping pattern. Every child is different. My most difficult still cannot sleep thru the night and is well past infancy. I think its some thing in their brain. Just roll with the punches (for me that means I sometimes need a daytime nap)

pause

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
Haha thank you for the reality check! You’re right,I have been very lucky so far.
I am breast feeding - but I don’t think it’s hunger - I put her down immediately after her last feed at night.
I’m just so afraid of rocking her to sleep and creating difficult habits. My older child was a difficult baby and at 1 year old was still not falling asleep on her own because of all the feeding to sleep and bad sleep associations I had created for her.

The differences between your two kids are because they have different personalities, not necessarily because of what YOU did differently. I've had a really difficult baby and a real "doll" of a baby. Obviously the difficult one keeps you busier, but it's because he needs more not because you gave him more.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 1:32 pm
It's possible that now she's older and has greater awareness of her relationship with you. Maybe she's having a hard time separating from the person she recognizes as her mother.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
I just had my 12th baby. I rocked all my babies to sleep at first and am rocking this one too. With all of them, when I decided it was time to stop, I did. It was a quick and painless training session that didn't scar them or me, and now they all go to sleep like pros. If she needs to be rocked, don't let it scare you.

Thank you. What did the training session entail?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 6:22 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Don't blame yourself for your baby's sleeping pattern. Every child is different. My most difficult still cannot sleep thru the night and is well past infancy. I think its some thing in their brain. Just roll with the punches (for me that means I sometimes need a daytime nap)

Thank you. That was nice to hear.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 6:24 pm
pause wrote:
The differences between your two kids are because they have different personalities, not necessarily because of what YOU did differently. I've had a really difficult baby and a real "doll" of a baby. Obviously the difficult one keeps you busier, but it's because he needs more not because you gave him more.

I hear. But if I feed her to sleep usually then surely she will come to need that?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 6:26 pm
amother wrote:
It's possible that now she's older and has greater awareness of her relationship with you. Maybe she's having a hard time separating from the person she recognizes as her mother.

That could be it. Anything I can do about it?
Last night I let her moan a bit - not proper crying - and she fell asleep in the end.
I’m not happy with doing that though

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:
That could be it. Anything I can do about it?
Last night I let her moan a bit - not proper crying - and she fell asleep in the end.
I’m not happy with doing that though

If she's not actually crying, I definitely wouldn't run to soothe her. Personally, I see it as a very temporary stage in my life that I just try to get through- infants are very needy, around the clock. However, I know that some people literally can't function like that, so it may not work for you.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 10:47 pm
amother wrote:
If she's not actually crying, I definitely wouldn't run to soothe her. Personally, I see it as a very temporary stage in my life that I just try to get through- infants are very needy, around the clock. However, I know that some people literally can't function like that, so it may not work for you.

Ok. Thanks for the reply.

Smile1234

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 12:32 am
This is aka the 4 month sleep regression. Wishing you lots of luck in getting over this hump!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics