Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
What do you feed your little kids when they are sick?

SRB

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 3:48 pm
DS is almost 5 and DD is almost 2. Both sick in bed with a bad cold and fever. I made chicken soup with veggies. Offering orange slices, watermelon, herbal tea, orange juice, fruit juice popsicles. My dd only ate a few noodles and her bottle of milk, DS ate more.
I need ideas. What do you feed your little kids when they are not feeling well?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 3:49 pm
Whatever they'll eat.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 3:52 pm
Feed them regular food as long as nobody is vomiting or has diahrreah. That's the only time you need to have a special diet

turca

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 3:58 pm
They ll probably have more of an appetite when the fever is down. So wait for fever meds to work and offer some food.

simba

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 3:59 pm
Plain white rice. Use chicken broth instead of water so it has some nutritional value.

SRB

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:00 pm
Just for clarity sake, I'm not trying to restrict their diet - it's just that finding foods they will eat are hard. They just don't want to eat or drink. They need at least fluids hence why I offer foods with liquid in them. What do your kids like to eat when they are sick? TIA!

Last edited by SRB on Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:01 pm
Give them tylenol or motrin, and then offer them food when they are feeling better.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:02 pm
For stomach virus/diarreah bananas, rice cake, toast, apple sauce, rice, pretzels, crackers melba toast bland food.

For cold tea/soup.

Don't force food main thing is fluids

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:02 pm
SRB wrote:
Just for clarity sake, I'm not trying to restrict their diet - it's just that finding foods they will eat are hard. They just don't want to eat or drink. They need at least fluids hence why I offer foods with liquid in them. What do your kids like to eat when they are sick? Im looking for actual food ideas not general statements. TIA!

give them ice pops . Most kids will take that and it gets fluids into them.
Give them some Powerade or Gatorade , this will give them some electrolytes.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:18 pm
My kids like ices and soda when they're sick. I dont restrict it then so they get hydrated. Otherwise we only drink water and milk.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:22 pm
Toast or dry crackers. Liquids make them more nauseous. Sometimes mashed potatoes.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:28 pm
If they have a bad stomach, I give them a can of ginger ale to sip (seagrams, so it has real ginger in it). I keep those in the house for just such a purpose. The ginger will relax the stomach and it has some electrolytes.

teachkids

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:38 pm
I've found plain pasta often can be eaten, but don't worry if they don't want to eat much while they're sick.

nchr

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:43 pm
If it's their stomach, I don't really give them anything unless they ask and then I try a little powerade and if that works some applesauce, rice, or bananas (but very little at a time). If they are ok with that and ask for more food then I'll pretty much give them what's available. For colds I just give them what they want and if that means nothing that is ok too as long as they are using the toilet regularly. Our kids love ice pops and fruit smoothies so those are big all year round. I try to get them to have some soup, which is usually ok if I put it into a coffee cup. Refuah Shalaima.

SRB

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:44 pm
Thank you so much for the ideas! My sister just went shopping for a few of the ideas here and on her way over. I forgot about the Powerade - that is a good one! DD won't even eat a Popsicle - what kid refuses that?!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking