Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Itching at night
1  2  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:18 pm
My six year old daughter has complained about itching at night on and off for about two years. Sometimes she points to the vagin-l area and and sometimes to the backside area. We’ve spoken to her pediatrician many times. She’s stopped wearing nylon tights. Stopped taking baths. Tried to shower or at least wash that area before bed. Dr says to use desitin or another cream. It doesn’t seem like pinworms as she often complains before bedtime. But we tried pin x this week to see if it will help. She also often wakes up crying about two hours after bedtime but usually I’ll take her to the bathroom and settle her back down.

Everything seems to work.. sometimes.. and then it’s back! Any ideas what this could be and how to deal with it?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:23 pm
Why wouldn't it be pinworms? It's common for the itching to start any time in the late afternoon til night. You should get a kit from your pediatrician that will let them test for eggs. Sometimes the worms move into the vaginal area too which is very uncomfortable.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:30 pm
I thought pinworms is only after she’s sleeping. Itching before bedtime could be pinworms too? Maybe the pin x will help then. Thanks!

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
I thought pinworms is only after she’s sleeping. Itching before bedtime could be pinworms too? Maybe the pin x will help then. Thanks!

Absolutely not. Like I said, they can be active any time from late afternoon on. Make sure you give another dose of pin x in two weeks or you'll likely have a recurrence. You're also supposed to treat all family members since they may have worms without showing symptoms, and then it never gets eradicated.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 2:00 pm
Thanks

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:08 pm
Could it be yeast infection?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 5:02 pm
dankbar wrote:
Could it be yeast infection?

I keep asking the doctor but she says she doesn’t see any signs of yeast.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 5:08 pm
I only had one child with pinworms. He woke up two hours into his sleep. With the light off we checked his backside with a flashlight and sure enough they were there and active. Our entire family took Pinnx and no one else got it and his went away. What you are describing sounds very much like pinworms.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:
I keep asking the doctor but she says she doesn’t see any signs of yeast.

A yeast infection lasting so long would look red with plenty of discharge.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 5:37 pm
Definitely sounds like pinworms. Make sure to also change everyone's linens after giving the medications since there will likely be eggs on there as well.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:
Absolutely not. Like I said, they can be active any time from late afternoon on. Make sure you give another dose of pin x in two weeks or you'll likely have a recurrence. You're also supposed to treat all family members since they may have worms without showing symptoms, and then it never gets eradicated.

They can actually itch ANY time of day, no rules.
And it does sound like pinworms, and pin x is not very effective in my experience.
Welcome to planet earth!

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
They can actually itch ANY time of day, no rules.
And it does sound like pinworms, and pin x is not very effective in my experience.
Welcome to planet earth!

Oh no Sad what is effective?

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 6:06 pm
I had pinworms as a child. It would bother me every hour of the day. It was hard to sit in class. And some of my teachers would really go nuts. It took till I was an adult to figure out what it was. Someone I never told anyone.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 6:29 pm
I found Vermox very effective. I remember reading here though that it isn't available in the US anymore.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 6:42 pm
I believe you can still get Vermox from a compounding pharmacy.

Can it be strep?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 6:47 pm
anonymrs wrote:
I believe you can still get Vermox from a compounding pharmacy.

Can it be strep?

The dr prescribed vermox and insurance won’t cover it for some reason Sad

Hmm strep, does that cause itching?

anonymrs

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 6:54 pm
amother wrote:

Yep. Awful.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:34 pm
amother wrote:

Did you ask how much is costs? I find most meds don’t cost more than $25

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:41 pm
The child is suffering for two years!
First, I’d switch pediatricians.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:48 pm
amother wrote:
A yeast infection lasting so long would look red with plenty of discharge.

Not necessarily. It could be somewhat mild but just not going away and also not getting out of control. In my experience, many pediatricians miss the signs of yeast overgrowth when it is not very obvious (I.e lots of discharge). She might also have yeast in her gut that at times also travels to different areas. Yeast commonly causes vaginal itching as well as backside itching.

OP, look up signs of Candida overgrowth and see if the symptoms match what you see in your daughter. Candida is pretty common in kids, especially if they have ever been on antibiotics or if their diet includes refined sugar and cows milk.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics