Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Insurance/bill paying question.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 7:00 pm
Hi, my 17 year old son was placed in a facility a few states away. Short story is that he was kicked out of the school he was in, hospitalized until another “school” was willing to take him. When we spoke to them, they verbally agreed to to take what insurance was giving them as payment and unofficially waive our co payments. We never signed any paperwork and he was there for approx 2 months. It’s a year later and we just got a bill for them for a co payment if $49.00. I have no problem paying that, my question is that if I pay that amount, do they have an opening to come after me for the rest which would be in the thousands? If anyone is familiar with legalities can you let me know. Thank you.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 10:33 pm
Bumping please.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:16 am
Firstly, always get everything in writing. However, if things are like they are in my area, they CANNOT waive copayments. And you won't get that in writing. It is part of their contract with insurances and if they did, they would be forced to tell the insurance company. Who might go after you for the bill... You agreed with the insurance company to pay those copays.
So not sure about them coming after you for other payments but if it is strictly a copayment I think they have the right to ask you for it.

I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 2:13 pm
Thank you for answering. My question is that they have nothing in writing from us that my son was actually there. So by my paying the $49 bill from them, can that be used as an acknowledgement that I am taking responsibility for thousands of dollars. The state he was in at that point technically placed him, not us.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for answering. My question is that they have nothing in writing from us that my son was actually there. So by my paying the $49 bill from them, can that be used as an acknowledgement that I am taking responsibility for thousands of dollars. The state he was in at that point technically placed him, not us.

If Imamother said - 'no' and you took her advice and things went south... what would be your recourse?

In other words - talk to a lawyer.

(its a good question).

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 6:11 pm
You’re right, just wondering if someone knew what the legal standpoint is. Thank you.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:25 pm
If your son is a minor, didn't you have to give consent for treatment? Consent to use your insurance? How do they have no documentation?
See a lawyer...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics