Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Itching at night
Previous  1  2

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
The child is suffering for two years!
First, I’d switch pediatricians.

Agree. I don't understand how he didn't bring up pinworms until now. Even if that isn't it, it shouldn't have taken two years to suggest it as an option!

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
Not necessarily. It could be somewhat mild but just not going away and also not getting out of control. In my experience, many pediatricians miss the signs of yeast overgrowth when it is not very obvious (I.e lots of discharge). She might also have yeast in her gut that at times also travels to different areas. Yeast commonly causes vaginal itching as well as backside itching.

OP, look up signs of Candida overgrowth and see if the symptoms match what you see in your daughter. Candida is pretty common in kids, especially if they have ever been on antibiotics or if their diet includes refined sugar and cows milk.

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 8:15 pm
It’s come and gone over the last two years though. Like it went away for months when I switched her to knee socks or only cotton tights. Would pinworms go away on their own like that? That’s why her ped thinks she may just have sensitive skin and suggested vermox just in case.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 8:25 pm
amother wrote:
It’s come and gone over the last two years though. Like it went away for months when I switched her to knee socks or only cotton tights. Would pinworms go away on their own like that? That’s why her ped thinks she may just have sensitive skin and suggested vermox just in case.

Yes, they can come and go. I'm sorry, but your pediatrician should have given you a test kit and checked for eggs. My pediatrician did that immediately to rule out/ confirm. It's completely non invasive. Kids with sensitive skin don't suddenly start feeling sensitive around bedtime and wake up crying from it. Pinworms are so common.

nchr

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 8:33 pm
Our ds had this and it was a contact allergy to the laundry detergent we were using. Allergies flare up at night. We had tested for pin worms and perianal strep to rule those out though. You may also want to bath your child every night before bed (if you're not already) because she may not be wiping properly (numbers 1 and 2) during the day and being irritated later.

If you don't have a pin worm kit you can test at home with transparent (not translucent) tape and a glass slide (can buy that at staples or from amazon). Put a strip of the tape on your child's rectum after she's been sleeping for about 2 and a half hours and then an hour later remove it and tape it to a glass slide. Put it in a plastic baggy and take it to your child's pediatrician who can view it under a microscope.

Miri1

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:06 am
My first thought was pinworms. Probably not a good time for the test now, after you've given her the PinX.
But even if the Pin X is effective, it could easily come back if she reinfects herself.

Only shower her (and wash that area well of course), so that eggs don't end up floating in her bathwater (sorry to be so direct). If you can it's better to shower in the morning.
Also wash all underwear, pajamas and linens in hot water and put in dryer to kill off any eggs.
The next few weeks are important to prevent reinfection.
And even though on the packaging it says to treat only once, you should make sure to treat her again two weeks later.

I've read that putting aquaphor on the backside area at night can stop the pinworms from being as active, and will also relieve her of the itchy sensation - hence better sleep and less likelyhood of reinfection.

Pinworms can come and go - so the fact that it hasn't been continual isn't proof it's not pinworms.

Good luck!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:20 am
OP, use the search function at the top of the forum, and look up "pinworms".

You'll find that it's one of the oldest, and most common topics on this board. At any given time, 1 our of every 10 children in the US has pinworms.

Vermox is worth the money, absolutely. I always keep some on hand. I order mine from Kiwidrug.com. It's not very expensive, when you figure that two doses of Vermox are more effective than 6 doses of PinX.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:29 pm
nchr wrote:
Our ds had this and it was a contact allergy to the laundry detergent we were using. Allergies flare up at night. We had tested for pin worms and perianal strep to rule those out though. You may also want to bath your child every night before bed (if you're not already) because she may not be wiping properly (numbers 1 and 2) during the day and being irritated later.

If you don't have a pin worm kit you can test at home with transparent (not translucent) tape and a glass slide (can buy that at staples or from amazon). Put a strip of the tape on your child's rectum after she's been sleeping for about 2 and a half hours and then an hour later remove it and tape it to a glass slide. Put it in a plastic baggy and take it to your child's pediatrician who can view it under a microscope.

Not sure most pediatricians will be doing this nowadays, my pediatrician, GI and GP, will all have it sent to the lab. The doc should be able to supply her with a special sticky paddle, ,and then you drop off at the lab or at the office (if you're testing, best to get samples three nights in a row - actually you can do it in the am first thing, and get a good sample)...

... but most docs won't even wait for this test - it is so common, that crying at night with discomfort over there - it's pretty likely to be pinworms. You can always grab a flashlight when she cries and have a look yourself Smile, but you may not catch them, they're good at disappearing.

First time I dealt with this, the doctor diagnosed over the phone. I asked: "Is it going around now?", and his response: "It's always going around".

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:37 pm
Thanks everyone for your help! Hopefully we can get this taken care of and help my poor sweetie!

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:50 pm
So apparently vermox is $600 now Sad https://www.news4jax.com/consu.....-pill
My insurance won’t cover it. Maybe I should order from another country online like the article suggests Sad seems a little scary.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:14 pm
Why not try first with the other stuff, don't assume it won't work.
I once spent $100 on two pills of mebendezole, or albendezole.
It was a waste of money because the kid reinfected himself and had it again a few months later. I think that is where alot of the fail happens.

Not sure anyone mentioned here:

Make sure her nails are cut short, and that she washes her hands before eating.

If it comes back, see if the pharmacy can give you a good discount card - they got me a great deal on some meds that weren't covered. But remember, even if it is effective, it will fail if she reinfects herself.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics