Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
So where was the party?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:26 am
amother wrote:
Exactly. They presented it as a party where all they wanted to do was provide regular mainstream boro park people with a good time.

Even if just to prove that everyone was crazy and throwing a fit about nothing, I thought they'd be smart enough to keep to that script.

When did they explicitly say that? They marketed it as a party for whoever would enjoy the show, and they got the crowd they wanted.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
When did they explicitly say that? They marketed it as a party for whoever would enjoy the show, and they got the crowd they wanted.

When they cried about being bullied and shunned by the mainstream orthodox community.

chestnut

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:35 am
amother wrote:
1. Leah singing
2. FG making fun of rabbis, mechitzas, etc.
3. Leah or the other girl making fun of chassidishe people (something they are not now) by dressing like one and having a skit

It most definitely was NOT a party they claimed it'll be.

By the way, you'd think they'd be smart enough not to show Leah singing in Insta stories, available for all to see. Apparently, they aren't smart at all or simply don't even care to project the image they tried to project before (of "only" bringing innocent entertainment to the frum community).

FG mentioned it was supposed to be Leah's return to the frum audience. Big fail. By their own hands

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:35 am
amother wrote:

No, they cried and stamped their feet and said they won’t let us perform because LF is a lesbian. The real reason they were not allowed to perform is because woman performing and singing for men.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:43 am
I heard a shiur once, and I dont remember every detail, so I apologize for that, but the concept was strong enough that I can give it over:
When rivka was pregnant and she felt kicks when she passed the beis medrash of shem v'ever and also when she passed a place of avoda zara, she became extremely concerned, went to her Das Torah and was reassured that there were 2 babies who would become 2 different nations.

The shiur was bases around this whole idea, that its much better to deal with clear cut, very bad aveira-makers because it is what it is. Everyone knows straight out, he is bad. What he is doing is wrong. And you can deal with it, and address the problem, because it is very clear what the problem is.

But rivka was concerned that she had one child, who behaved frum, and enjoyed the beis medrash, and liked being Jewish, but also was confused and liked avoda zara as well. People like this are more dangerous, because they are confusing to figure out, are confusing to themselves and others, misguide others into doing real aveiros because they appear frum etc. So they reassured her and said dont worry, one is a tzadik and one is a rasha.

The speaker ended off saying how we need to be careful about who we, and our children, are exposed to in terms of role models and friends. he said its better to see people who are obvious sinners doing real wrong, because you can be mechanech your children much easier-it will be clear to your kids that theyre doing wrong, off limits, not even a consideration. But when they are frum, look frum, and half of their messages are even praiseworthy and laudable, but a margin of their messages are pure poison and aveiros...THAT is what is dangerous.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
No, they cried and stamped their feet and said they won’t let us perform because LF is a lesbian. The real reason they were not allowed to perform is because woman performing and singing for men.

This after she wrote that letter to yeshiva world about how disturbed she was that some men listen to her.

Perfectly aware of the community norms.

oakandfig19

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:17 am
Simple1 wrote:
I'm not so sure LH applies here in this case where they are causing spiritual harm to a community and making a chillul Hashem. But I haven't asked a shaila. If someone was simply OTD and minding their own business, I agree, keep your mouth shut and no LH.

Right, that could be true since it’s a case of toeles. However the comments here calling the attendees low lifes and losers, and calling FG and LG stupid don’t seem to fall under the umbrella of toeles. One is allowed to talk about a public aveira and condemn it, but I’ve never heard it’s allowed to straight up insult people.

Listen, I’m disappointed by the way the event turns out. But I don’t think it gives us the right to insult people.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:19 am
amother wrote:
Exactly. They presented it as a party where all they wanted to do was provide regular mainstream boro park people with a good time.

Even if just to prove that everyone was crazy and throwing a fit about nothing, I thought they'd be smart enough to keep to that script.

AT not point was this party marketed to mainstream boro park people. Zero - that never happened. Never. Happened.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:22 am
amother wrote:
This after she wrote that letter to yeshiva world about how disturbed she was that some men listen to her.

Perfectly aware of the community norms.

She wrote that letter 10 years ago. She has changed. She doesn't deny that.

This wasn't a community event.

If the community wasn't stalking her on her private IG- the community would have been 100% unaware that this private function in a restaurant happened.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
AT not point was this party marketed to mainstream boro park people. Zero - that never happened. Never. Happened.

It was presented as an innocent party with a lot of feigned surprise and hurt that mainstream bp people are finding it offensive.

There are many comedians who market themselves as being a bit "off color" and that is just fine. I even understand the market for that.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
She wrote that letter 10 years ago. She has changed. She doesn't deny that.

This wasn't a community event.

If the community wasn't stalking her on her private IG- the community would have been 100% unaware that this private function in a restaurant happened.

We all know she changed and people are allowed to change.

The reference to the letter is to show that she can't feign innocence and pretend she didn't realize that people would find her singing in front of men offensive.

chestnut

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
I heard a shiur once, and I dont remember every detail, so I apologize for that, but the concept was strong enough that I can give it over:
When rivka was pregnant and she felt kicks when she passed the beis medrash of shem v'ever and also when she passed a place of avoda zara, she became extremely concerned, went to her Das Torah and was reassured that there were 2 babies who would become 2 different nations.

The shiur was bases around this whole idea, that its much better to deal with clear cut, very bad aveira-makers because it is what it is. Everyone knows straight out, he is bad. What he is doing is wrong. And you can deal with it, and address the problem, because it is very clear what the problem is.

But rivka was concerned that she had one child, who behaved frum, and enjoyed the beis medrash, and liked being Jewish, but also was confused and liked avoda zara as well. People like this are more dangerous, because they are confusing to figure out, are confusing to themselves and others, misguide others into doing real aveiros because they appear frum etc. So they reassured her and said dont worry, one is a tzadik and one is a rasha.

The speaker ended off saying how we need to be careful about who we, and our children, are exposed to in terms of role models and friends. he said its better to see people who are obvious sinners doing real wrong, because you can be mechanech your children much easier-it will be clear to your kids that theyre doing wrong, off limits, not even a consideration. But when they are frum, look frum, and half of their messages are even praiseworthy and laudable, but a margin of their messages are pure poison and aveiros...THAT is what is dangerous.

Topic of this thread completely aside, I do hear this point, but feel it's not a black and white issue. This might be the reason why, say, chassidishe people often regard MO as non jews or worse.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:45 am
a really funny comedian (and imo there aren't too many even in the secular world) don't poke fun of others to get people to laugh.

fmt4

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:59 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Just quoting my previous post again:

Quote:

"Any person who flagrantly abrogates a mitzvah of the Torah must be publicly disgraced, in which case the laws of lashon harah do not apply."

So it's not considered loshon horah.

I knew that you’d be back with this quote. You’re always waiting to throw it out there.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
We all know she changed and people are allowed to change.

The reference to the letter is to show that she can't feign innocence and pretend she didn't realize that people would find her singing in front of men offensive.

That never happened.

Maybe what she didn't realize just how much harassment should would be subject to.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:13 am
amother wrote:
That never happened.

Maybe what she didn't realize just how much harassment should would be subject to.

Have you seen all of their Facebook and Instagram posts? It most certainly did.

ETA: the whole pretending that any opposition to the gathering was only because of her s-xual orientation was part of this as well. Pretending that besides that there was nothing that anyone could possibly find offensive.

simba

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:15 am
fmt4 wrote:
I knew that you’d be back with this quote. You’re always waiting to throw it out there.

And you are always ready to defend those who disgrace Hashem and his Torah in the name of tolerance and love. Live and let live.

I don’t want to see where mainstream Judaism would be today if that attitude was endorsed by Rabbonim during the Spanish Inquisition and the Chanuka story. Jews risked their lives for many generations to remain steadfast in their strict adherence to yiddishkeit in face of threats of the death penalty.
This liberalism has no place in Yiddishkeit and is a threat to its continuation.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:19 am
simba wrote:
And you are always ready to defend those who disgrace Hashem and his Torah in the name of tolerance and love. Live and let live.

I don’t want to see where mainstream Judaism would be today if that attitude was endorsed by Rabbonim during the Spanish Inquisition and the Chanuka story. Jews risked their lives for many generations to remain steadfast in their strict adherence to yiddishkeit in face of threats of the death penalty.
This liberalism has no place in Yiddishkeit and is a threat to its continuation.

Finally someone saying it like it is .
Applause Applause

fmt4

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:30 am
simba wrote:

And what destroyed the Beis Hamikdash?

Hatred of other Jews just because they were different.

This thread is full of vile hatred.

Go ahead and spread vicious gossip, but don’t pat yourself on the back and tell yourself that you’re such a good Jew, that you’re saving yiddishkeit by doing that.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:32 am
fmt4 wrote:

You do realize this quote shes "throwing out there" was not made up by her? You sound like you are mocking the Torah ch"v
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics