Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Itchy scalp from hair covering

londoner

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 6:05 pm
I've been covering for 9 years - sheitels/falls during week and mainly hats/scarves at the weekend. Recently my hair has got really itchy and I've noticed dandruff like bits on it. I've checked for lice but can't find any and all the dc are clear. Does anyone have any magic remedy? It's much worse with sheitels on.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 6:13 pm
it might be hormonal.

londoner

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 6:16 pm
Eeks! I'm in my early 30s if you're referring to major hormonal changes

miami85

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 6:36 pm
I was going to ask about this a few weeks ago but I did some research and found out it was most likely sebhorric dermatitis --extreme dandruff. It can be fungal in nature which isn't surprising considering fungi like growing in dark damp places. The basic treatment is a strong dandruff shampoo-selsum blue,head and shoulders clinical strength etc. Soak on your Head for 10 mins every night for a week and rinse. After that use it once a week. Meanwhile dry your hair before covering. If this method doesn't work you mayneed to see a dermatologist for prescription strength. I've been using h&s clinical and saw drastic results.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 9:14 pm
and if it's hormonal, you have to do the same thing.

londoner

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 5:07 pm
Thanks for the advice. Have bought a shampoo and will give it a go. Here's hoping...

Miriele5772

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 5:13 pm
It happens to me too. Ive had great success using sulfer. You can get it at Walgreens for two dollars. Rub on and it is instant relief. Hatzlacha rabbah

londoner

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 5:55 pm
Sadly I'm in London so will have to find an equivalent. What's the active ingredient? Sulphur?

Miriele5772

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 5:58 pm
Yes, it is sulphur. It is a naturally occuring element that can destroy all dandruff issues. Also, consider eating active yogurt. Dandruff is usually caused by an imbalance in the body due to dietary choices.

achayl

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 8:47 am
Thanks, I find this helpful too. I've moved to EY and wear tichels most of the time now. Since my hair is 'slippy' I need to wear a velvet band to keep the tichel in place. I now have bad dandruff where the band is. I'll try looking for a stronger head and shoulders shampoo.

NovelConcept

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:38 am
Heads-up: Please don't get "prescription strength" shampoos from a dermatologist. Those contain super-potent steroids that can (and usually do) destroy the skin.

flmommy

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:54 pm
My head gets itchy when I don’t wash my hair often enough.

mimimom

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 2:08 pm
I "wash" my hair with baking soda. Just a small handful with water and rub everywhere thoroughly. Your symptoms sound like an allergy to something in your hair products. Baking soda doesn't cause any allergies, is very gentle on your hair, gets you clean and is beyond cheap. Look up no-poo shampoo on the web; there are a number of websites that discuss it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels