Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Of challa, men, women, perfume and desires.

roza

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 3:36 am
Sonchino Middrash Rabbah came into our possession. While reading the first volume on Bereishis, I came across the following passage [on the creation of a woman from man], the end of which I learned many, many times, I am sure most of you did too, but I never got to read the whole paragraph. I found it quite interesting.

Quote:
8. R. Joshua was asked:
'Why does a man come forth [at birth] with his face downward, while a woman comes forth with her face turned upwards?' 'The man looks towards the place of his creation [viz, the earth], while the woman looks towards the place of her creation [viz. the rib],' he replied.

'And why must a woman use perfume, while a man does not need perfume?' 'Man was created from earth,' he answered, 'and earth never putrefies, but Eve was created from a bone. For example: if you leave meat three days unsalted, it immediately goes putrid.'

'And why has a woman a penetrating [shrill] voice, but not a man?' 'I will give you an illustration,' replied he. 'If you fill a pot with meat it does not make any sound, but when you put a bone into it, the sound [of sizzling] spreads immediately.'

'And why is a man easily appeased, but not a woman?' 'Man was created from the earth,' he answered, 'and when you pour a drop of water on it, it immediately absorbs it; but Eve was created from a bone, which even if you soak many days in water does not become saturated.'

'And why does the man make demands upon the woman, whereas the woman does not make demands upon the man?' 'This may be compared to a man who loses something,' replied he; 'he seeks what he lost, but the lost article does not seek him.'

'And why does a man deposit sperm within a woman while a woman does not deposit sperm within a man? ' [He replied]: 'It is like a man who has an article in his hand and seeks a trustworthy person with whom he may deposit it.'[1]

'Why does a man go out bareheaded while a woman goes out with her head covered?' 'She is like one who has done wrong and is ashamed of people; therefore she goes out with her head covered […….]

'And why was the precept of menstruation given to her?' 'Because she shed the blood of Adam [by causing death], therefore was the precept of menstruation given to her.'
'And why was the precept of "dough" [challah] given to her?' 'Because she corrupted Adam, who was the dough (challah) of the world, therefore was the precept of dough given to her.'
'And why was the precept of the Sabbath lights given to her?' 'Because she extinguished the soul of Adam [6], therefore was the precept of the Sabbath lights given to her [7]

[1] With the assurance that the same will be returned. A woman can give that assurance, since she has one husband only, but not a man, since he may have many wives.

[6] I.e. made him mortal.

[7]The attitude of Judaism towards woman is shown in these replies. In accordance with Scripture, she is charged with having brought death into the world through her disobedience, yet her punishment is not to be accursed, but on the contrary, hers is the privilege to emphasise the inviolate character of woman, to sanctify the bread one eats and spread the cheer of the Sabbath as symbolised by light.

Tefila

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 10:38 am
Interesting Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics