Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Dear Teachers, I don't have a square to spare!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 8:41 pm
It's that time of the year, time for the annual homework rant.

My little kids (2nd and 3rd grade) get home at 5pm. They go to sleep at 8. That leaves them with 3 short hours to get a snack, decompress, eat dinner, hang out with siblings and get ready for bed. There is no time for homework. Not one minute. Before you tell me, it will only take 15 minutes let me remind you that their rebbe is saying the same thing. That means that a minimum of 17% of their awake time at home is spent on homework. You have them for 8 hours. I have them for 3. If you can't teach them to master the material in 8 hours, revise the curriculum and teach less. You can't have any more of my time. I DON'T HAVE A SQARE TO SPARE!

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:00 pm
I don't have any advice or consolation to offer, but I love your Seinfeld reference.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:00 pm
While I did agree with you at some point, by now I have realized the importance of reviewing at home. But I do think they have a bit too much homework. Just a little review is ok and important.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:04 pm
Amen!

Although there's one teacher in the school who recently implemented no homework (based on studies and her own experience) and the parents in the class were outraged Banging head Teachers can't win!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:08 pm
amother wrote:
While I did agree with you at some point, by now I have realized the importance of reviewing at home. But I do think they have a bit to much homework. Just a little review is ok and important.

That is because the curriculum is built on the assumption that they will be reviewing at home daily. It does not need to be that way. Teachers could introduce a concept and then practice it later in the day. They could do "homework" for the last 15 minutes of class time. What would be the educational difference between doing the review at 4:30 with the class or at 5:00 with Mommy (and 3 screaming toddlers/babies as a musical background)?!

Parents unite! Take back the night!

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:12 pm
OP I completely agree with you. And in my case, work that technically should only take 15 minutes takes way longer simply because the child is now physically and emotionally exhausted from a long day at school. So its very nice that "it only takes 15 minutes". But it really takes a half hour, between the sighs, the "I want to go play!"s, the tears...

Enough is enough.

The chinuch experts keep saying we need to make our homes the happy place, the place where our kids feel happy and relaxed, where the atmosphere is calm and enjoyable. How is that possible if they come home, need to eat supper, bath, bed, DO HOMEWORK-oh wait, I forgot to mention some chill time. Some time to unwind and relax maybe? Have fun with their family? Bond with their parents a bit?? There is no time for the fun happy stuff if theres homework!

Chanukah was an absolute DREAM. One full week of no homework...I cant even tell you how happy and well behaved my children were that week. They came home, and had time to be children...and the difference was felt so strongly in the whole house!

Enough enough enough homework!!

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:32 pm
I agree. My kids have 1 hr of HW, plus 2 tests per week. Plus reports, projects, etc.

My 3rd grader rarely is in bed before 930pm.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
That is because the curriculum is built on the assumption that they will be reviewing at home daily. It does not need to be that way. Teachers could introduce a concept and then practice it later in the day. They could do "homework" for the last 15 minutes of class time. What would be the educational difference between doing the review at 4:30 with the class or at 5:00 with Mommy (and 3 screaming toddlers/babies as a musical background)?!

Parents unite! Take back the night!

Even then it can fall between the cracks. My son does all his take him math at the end of class. I have no clue what he is learning, how long it takes, or if he gets it right. He gets pretty decent grades so I’m not on top of it. He majorly failed his latest math test. I’m now reviewing it with him and I realize how poorly he got this specific concept. Had he brought it home I would have been more aware much earlier.

Personally I don’t mind homework done well and short. I do homework with my kids every night + with my older kids that can do it alone. I find it great one on onebonding. But maybe I’m lucky that their homework is very Reasonable.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:39 pm
I don’t think it is black and white. I actually enjoy the homework time because even though it is sometimes a pressure to remember, it makes sure that I spend individualized time with my kids. That can be something that is easily forgotten in a busy family.
However, the only reason I feel this way is because it doesn’t even take 15 minutes. Homework is daily but minimal. Like 3-5 minutes, tops. Basically reading 5 words or doing a couple math examples. I think that’s perfect. It’s fast but it gives me the opportunity to sit down and focus on giving personalized attention.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:43 pm
Jumping on the bandwagon here. I hate homework Punch

My kids are little and their homework needs to be supervised. That means that their homework is my homework, too. We all walk in the door together pretty late. I need to tend to supper and the younger kids. They need some time to unwind and play. And everyone needs to bathe and eat and go to bed at a reasonable hour. Homework makes my afternoons so difficult. I agree with a PP, review should be incorporated into the day. And maybe some weekend homework. But that’s it!

gibberish

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:53 pm
My son is younger, but we only do homework about 30% of the time. He is very bright and understands the material. I was upfront with the teacher and once or twice a week is enough for me to see where he is holding.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:11 pm
I agree. My son is in second grade and honesly it's been really hard to get him to do homework. He goes out a lot in class and gets homework from four teachers daily. Each one take 5-10 minutes and it adds up. This year but has been a very good year filled with simchas but with three family weddings since the start of school year (siblings and sister in law) and bh a new baby ( my sister's, but we r extremely close and we took care of Shalom zachor, etc) it's honestly been really really tough. I try to do it as best as I can. He gets home at 5 and leaves at 8 on the morning and barely has any time as it is. I am upfront and told the teachers that I will try my best but won't pressure myself to get it done. They all understood.
My DD is in pre 1a and has usually two pages of homework. I try to do it with her as well.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:18 pm
In many elementary schools it is the administration, not the teachers, that determines whether there will be homework or not, and how much homework per grade level. Although homework is a big stress in my home and I think my girls have too much homework, it would never occur to me to blame the teachers or to complain to them. I would have to take it up with the principals, as they are the ones requiring a certain amount of homework.

real israeli

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:22 pm
I find it easiest to do homework in the mornings sometimes. My daughter goes to sleep early enough so that she wakes up early and it’s much more relaxed than after a full day at school. It takes approximately 5 minutes though not 1/2 hour. If it would be 1/2 hour this wouldn’t work. She’s still young.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:37 pm
real israeli wrote:
I find it easiest to do homework in the mornings sometimes. My daughter goes to sleep early enough so that she wakes up early and it’s much more relaxed than after a full day at school. It takes approximately 5 minutes though not 1/2 hour. If it would be 1/2 hour this wouldn’t work. She’s still young.

I tried this but ds has to much homework and has to leave early so it doesn't work for us.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 12:16 am
sky wrote:
Even then it can fall between the cracks. My son does all his take him math at the end of class. I have no clue what he is learning, how long it takes, or if he gets it right. He gets pretty decent grades so I’m not on top of it. He majorly failed his latest math test. I’m now reviewing it with him and I realize how poorly he got this specific concept. Had he brought it home I would have been more aware much earlier.

Personally I don’t mind homework done well and short. I do homework with my kids every night + with my older kids that can do it alone. I find it great one on onebonding. But maybe I’m lucky that their homework is very Reasonable.

Why doesn't the teacher make sure the kids get the concept taught? I don't think that that is the mother's responsibility to discover. Something is wrong here.

I am a former teacher. It would be very embarrassing to have a mother point out that her child is struggling. I always tried to proactively let the parents know and offer the guidance needed.

Harried mama

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 1:50 am
My sons' school only gives homework in first and second grades. From third grade on, dismissal time is later so there's no homework.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 3:55 am
I did homework throughtout my education, from first grade to graduate school, although near the end I was only part-time and the assignments outside the classroom were less like solve problems 1 thru 10 from the textbook and more like design your own project using some of the material from this course and implement it or maybe design an integrated circuit on paper and test its performance using a circuit simulator. Sometimes I did it on the way to and from school, in boring classes that I didn't need to pay attention to, or on the kitchen table next to my mother who had her own "homework" from her job. I wouldn't borrow her 4-function calculator with printer, although eventually I was using my own scientific calculator and later on a computer.

teachkids

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 6:56 am
As a teacher, I agree there’s generally too much hw. The only work I send home generally is to study for tests and if class work isn’t completed. I’ve even tried to have the studying done in school, but have found that kids tend to waste the time instead of using it if they’re with friends.
That being said, I have worked under admins who have told me that I’m required to give homework every night in core subjects (reading, math, Chumash). When I follow these rules, I keep it to 10 min a night in each subject.
Some kids though need to review 1 on 1, and our classrooms aren’t set up for that, so really hw with a parent is the only time. Would love to hear other suggestions for this!

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:10 am
I'm going to wait for tomatoes.

I think it's an important life skill to handle homework. Within reason, but 15 minutes a night is reasonable.

My kids who got regular homework and learned to do it are the ones who have an easier time later in life when faced with challenges at the end of the day.

Learning that you can do more than you think (or want) can be useful.

In moderation, of course.

Let the tomatoes commence.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics