Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pediatric asthma doctor?
1  2  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:39 pm
In lakewood?
What type of doctor is that called?
Anyone can recommend someone they have used and is good?
Grandson is 14 months & wheezes a lot. Asthma is in the family.
He’s on a bunch of puffers which was prescribed by pediatritisn but dd wants to know if there’s more that can Be done for him.

Told her I’d ask here. Thanks!

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:42 pm
Pulmonologist

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:13 pm
We see allergist, Dr. Tina Zecca, in Little Silver. We're very happy with her.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:33 pm
I saw a chiropractor for those issues when ds was little. It helped a ton.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 1:56 am
No firsthand experience, but I work for a pediatric office and many of our patients see Dr. Charles Dadzie in Neptune.

treetop12

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:56 am
I take my kids to Dr Charles Dadzi in Neptune and we love him, I highly recommend him.
My children's asthma is BH well controlled. There usually is a long wait for new patients, so you may need a pediatrician to call and help. Good luck!

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:43 am
He needs to see a pulmonalogist and allergist. But in my experience, the pulmonalogist is not of more help then my regular pediatrician. There isn't much to do for asthma besides inhalers and nebulizer.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:47 am
amother wrote:
In lakewood?
What type of doctor is that called?
Anyone can recommend someone they have used and is good?
Grandson is 14 months & wheezes a lot. Asthma is in the family.
He’s on a bunch of puffers which was prescribed by pediatritisn but dd wants to know if there’s more that can Be done for him.

Told her I’d ask here. Thanks!

A 14 mo old is too young for a puffer. At that age that can’t be told to breathe deep enough to help.

He needs a nebulizer.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:22 am
My 14 month old took a puffer very nicely. You have to know how to do it.

KKS

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:30 am
I use Dr Dadzie for my daughter. Very happy with him.
We met him in Jersey Shore when my daughter was admitted and first diagnosed with asthma. We've been following up with him for the last few years.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:32 am
Steroids can be very helpful, but they can also cause addiction.
Lung function can actually become worse with too frequent of use.

This has been scientifically proven in regard to skin and steroid use, and though there are no studies done on the lungs and addiction that I am aware of, I know of many people who were addicted to inhaled steroids. I, personally, was so bad that I was on Dulera (a steroid inhaler) twice a day and used my Ventolin (emergency, non-steroidal) inhaler roughly ten times a day. I also received the injection Xolair. I was a mess.

Nowadays, after withdrawing from the steroid inhaler, I only use the emergency inhaler maybe once a week.

The trick is using the steroid inhalers/nebulizers for short bursts during bouts of asthmatic episodes, but not using long term daily ones. Yes, I know, they call it "maintenance," but in my experience (and as told to me informally by a research doctor and medical professor), the more you have, the more you need.

There is a very delicate balance when it comes to steroids.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:00 am
Steroids are not meant for long term use. They're only prescribed in an emergency.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 11:22 am
amother wrote:
A 14 mo old is too young for a puffer. At that age that can’t be told to breathe deep enough to help.

He needs a nebulizer.

Even a tiny baby can use an inhaler with a spacer.

cbsp

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
Steroids can be very helpful, but they can also cause addiction.
Lung function can actually become worse with too frequent of use.

This has been scientifically proven in regard to skin and steroid use, and though there are no studies done on the lungs and addiction that I am aware of, I know of many people who were addicted to inhaled steroids. I, personally, was so bad that I was on Dulera (a steroid inhaler) twice a day and used my Ventolin (emergency, non-steroidal) inhaler roughly ten times a day. I also received the injection Xolair. I was a mess.

Nowadays, after withdrawing from the steroid inhaler, I only use the emergency inhaler maybe once a week.

The trick is using the steroid inhalers/nebulizers for short bursts during bouts of asthmatic episodes, but not using long term daily ones. Yes, I know, they call it "maintenance," but in my experience (and as told to me informally by a research doctor and medical professor), the more you have, the more you need.

There is a very delicate balance when it comes to steroids.

This is very interesting to me.

DS7 was born with a lung condition. His current medical regimen is Dulera, 2 puffs 2x daily, ventolin 2 puffs at least 2x daily, atrovent nasal spray 2 sprays at least 2x daily and flovent as his rescue meds. He's also on GERD medicine because the acid aggravates his lungs. His adenoids were removed a year and a half ago.

We still don't feel that his asthma is fully managed.

He recently started with an allergist who was not so impressed with all the meds, not really happy that it was inhaler based rather than nebulizer, and his PFT before and after an albuterol nebulizer treatment did show a 20% improvement.

We've started allergy shots in the hopes his allergy is what is exacerbating his asthma and not just the obvious lung issue.

OP, if you can find an allergist that specializes in asthma that may be a good resource. We're in North Jersey, that allergist we use is Dr. Jeffrey Weiss who has offices in Paramus and Riverdale, NJ.

Alternatively, CHoP has outpatient facilities in NJ - we've been to Voorhees (2 different locations) and Princeton (in addition to the many facilities in PA).

I also want to mention that you may want to rule out other areas that may be contributing to flare ups - ENT for possible fluid mismanagement that can contribute to ear infections, enlarged adenoids or tonsils, post nasal drip - all of which can irritate the breathing passageways. GI for possible GERD.

Hatzlachah!

Last edited by cbsp on Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 1:33 pm
cbsp wrote:
This is very interesting to me.

DS7 was born with a lung condition. His current medical regimen is Dulera, 2 puffs 2x daily, ventolin 2 puffs at least 2x daily, atrovent nasal spray 2 sprays at least 2x daily and flovent as his rescue meds. He's also on GERD medicine because the acidaggravates his lungs. His adenoids were removed a year and a half ago.

We still don't feel that his asthma is fully managed.

He recently started with an allergist who was not so impressed with all the meds, not really happy that it was inhaler based rather than nebulizer, and his PFT before and after an albuterol nebulizer treatment did show a 20% improvement.

We've started allergy shots in the hopes his allergy is what is exacerbating his asthma and not just the obvious lung issue.

OP, if you can find an allergist that specializes in asthma that may be a good resource. We're in North Jersey, that allergist we use is Dr. Jeffrey Weiss who has offices in Paramus and Riverdale, NJ.

Alternatively, CHoP has outpatient facilities in NJ - we've been to Voorhees (2 different locations) and Princeton (in addition to the many facilities in PA).

I also want to mention that you may want to rule out other areas that may be contributing to flare ups - ENT for possible fluid mismanagement that can contribute to eat infections, enlarged adenoids or tonsils, post nasal drip - all of which can irritate the breathing passageways. GI for possible GERD.

Hatzlachah!

Cbsp: Just curious, does your son have skin issues he's being treated for, as well? He sounds just like I was, once upon a time. Come to find out, though I had mild asthma, my severe breathing issues were connected to the overload of topical and systemic steroids I'd been taking, and then were further exacerbated by the inhaled.

There IS a time and place for steroids, but overdoing it only makes things worse.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:
Steroids are not meant for long term use. They're only prescribed in an emergency.

You wish, Brown. You wish. I wish. Anyone with a brain wishes. But they aren't. They are abused by doctors with poor medical training. Rare is the doctor in this generation that has proper steroid protocol training.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 2:58 pm
Mistyrose, my daughter has asthma, till she was 3 years old she needed nebulizer treatment every day. Now she uses her inhaler as needed. The only times she was put on steroids was when it was either steroids or being hospitalized. Her pediatrician did not prescribe it fast.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
I saw a chiropractor for those issues when ds was little. It helped a ton.

Which chiro did you see?

cbsp

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:06 pm
amother wrote:
Cbsp: Just curious, does your son have skin issues he's being treated for, as well? He sounds just like I was, once upon a time. Come to find out, though I had mild asthma, my severe breathing issues were connected to the overload of topical and systemic steroids I'd been taking, and then were further exacerbated by the inhaled.

There IS a time and place for steroids, but overdoing it only makes things worse.

Hmmm, his only skin condition is a rash on his face that seems to have been caused when we switched to the Dulera and increased his Ventolin to match his exercise /exertion level. We also switched to a larger mask at the time (for the spacer) and it's a different type of rubber than his baby mask. He is currently 2 weeks on /2 weeks off a thin smear of clindamycin lotion that mostly manages it.

Singulair made him extraordinarily aggressive and insurance denied pulmacort, so despite the allergist wanting him on different meds, we're keeping what we have in the meantime. We're hoping to reevaluate after his 7 months of weekly allergy shots.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:
Mistyrose, my daughter has asthma, till she was 3 years old she needed nebulizer treatment every day. Now she uses her inhaler as needed. The only times she was put on steroids was when it was either steroids or being hospitalized. Her pediatrician did not prescribe it fast.

The only thing that tells us is that you have a smart pediatrician. He is NOT the norm. Good for you! Happy you landed up there.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics