Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Prepping for pre-op

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:13 pm
My son is going in for pre-op next THursday. He is having a really big surgery a few days later. He is complaining of a lot of mucas in his throat probably from a cold. Is there anyway to clear him up (HE gets nose bleeds from nasal sprays)?

teachkids

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:15 pm
Hot showers, and make him blow his nose well after. Putting a humidifier in his room may help. Keep encouraging him to blow his nose though.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:16 pm
Gargle with salt water, and drink salty fluids. It thins out the mucus so it drains more quickly and doesn't get thicker and sticky. Also, if you have a nebulizer you can use it to create mist with the saline, instead of spraying it directly into his nose. Run it for about ten minutes with the mask so he gets the full effect.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 7:21 pm
netti pot or sinus rinse. Follow the instructions exactly. It works better than otc medicines.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:02 pm
Mucinex is fabulous for speeding up the clearance of mucus out of sinuses and lungs. I find it works better than the average cold medicine that just hides the symptoms. Keep him super hydrated with a sports drink in his favorite flavor, too.

sky

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 12:07 am
Before giving any otc medicines double check with his dr that it is ok. Make sure it doesn’t contain ibuprofen if that isn’t allowed at this point.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics