Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
New job didn’t work out

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:37 pm
I was was working in the same office for ten years. They were very happy with me, I got promoted, when I wanted to cut my hours they accommodated me etc. I moved over the summer and found a new job. It was a disaster from day one. The boss kept catching stupid mistakes that I made - saving files incorrectly, entering a bill wrong etc. The mistakes were straight up careless and not because it was a new job and I didn’t know certain things. I ended up quitting because bh I found a bettter job and this past job just wasn’t a good fit. I’m really annoyed at myself that it didn’t work out. I feel like a failure. Why did I keep making such dumb mistakes. Did anyone have a similar thing happen?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:17 pm
Was the boss a micromanage where he hovered over you . If so then it is more likely in such a situation to make mistakes.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:54 pm
amother wrote:
Was the boss a micromanage where he hovered over you . If so then it is more likely in such a situation to make mistakes.

I'm determined, fast, and ambitious. Ive never failed at any job I had until I tried something new this year. It lasted 3 days and my confidence plummeted. I had a quick discussion with dh and realized that my boss hovering 7 inches near me was the cause. The job was service-based and as calls came in he would literally take the phone away if he felt I wasnt talking fast enough. When I say hovering, I mean we shared one desk and the phones. With him in such close proximity every tiny mistake made me feel stupid. I was so relieved to quit after those 3 days.

We all make mistakes and it's not always your fault. Keep your confidence up, theres a job out there waiting for you with the skills you have.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 12:19 am
amother wrote:

You are less likely to make mistakes. You are more likely to get caught. Production goes up in proportion to management.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 12:31 am
amother wrote:
You are less likely to make mistakes. You are more likely to get caught. Production goes up in proportion to management.

I guess it depends on the personality. If you hover over me, I get flustered and unnerved and I make all kinds of mistakes. Leave me be, and I'll be twice as productive, with very few mistakes.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 12:33 am
amother wrote:

And the key to good management, is to encourage workers to do their best on their own, not to hover or micromanage.

gande

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 12:43 am
Wow thanks for this thread. I also failed at a job last year and made me feel dumb and incompetent. The boss was just nitpicking and micromanaging and most bright, creative people dont work well like that. But it still took a toll on me and I dont have the confidence to work for someone anymore.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics