Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Umbilical cord around neck
Previous  1  2

shanie5

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 8:21 pm
DS age 23 was born with cord around his neck 3 times. I also had to stop pushing so Dr. could unwind it. He is the child with the most health issues (all minor, more ear infections, tonsils and adenoids removed, sinus infections). But he is also different in coloring-pale, blond, blue eyed next to his much darker siblings-brown/black hair, brown eyes, far from pale skin-and that had nothing to do with the cord around his neck. I think his health differences are also nothing to do with the cord.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:58 pm
What were the apgars? If those were ok then your child was not affected.
One of my kids was born with a very tight cord around the neck, to the point that the nurses seemed shocked. Had I gotten to the hospital earlier, I wonder if this would have been a c. They gave him a little oxygen and his apgars were 8 and 9 bh. His development was normal. He does have an angry temperament but I attribute that to other factors Wink

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:08 pm
I was born with the cord around my neck, and I was blue when I was born. My coloring is normal now (lol) and I'm amazing if I may say so myself... Very Happy
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

heidi

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 2:36 am
amother wrote:
What were the apgars? If those were ok then your child was not affected.
One of my kids was born with a very tight cord around the neck, to the point that the nurses seemed shocked. Had I gotten to the hospital earlier, I wonder if this would have been a c. They gave him a little oxygen and his apgars were 8 and 9 bh. His development was normal. He does have an angry temperament but I attribute that to other factors Wink

My 21 year old was born with the cord around his neck. His apgar was 0. At 5 minutes his apgar was 9. He is ka"h brilliant, sweet, kind, brilliant and adorable.

penguin

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 3:10 am
I suspect most people are frightened because they tend to think that "cord around the neck" means practically strangled.

In fact, since a baby received nutrients, including oxygen, through the cord, the danger is if the cord is wrapped too tightly around anything, meaning an arm or a leg. The neck is not the problem at all. However, as the article cited above explains, it's not usually a problem.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 7:09 am
This thread makes me suspect that some women have a tendency for their babies to be born with the cord around the neck. Several posters wrote that all of their children were born that way. I had 12 births and not a single one of my kids had the cord around their neck.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 7:22 am
2 of mine had this and one to the extent that all apgar scores were low and he had to be intubated. BH he is doing well -my miracle child.
Conventionally told all is well but I see some subtle health issues and behavioral/ learning issues. And I regret that I did not do Cranio sacral therapy when they were younger and am looking into it now. Have started with one.

Not trying to scare you at all. Just sharing my regret. Wish I would have done when they were infants.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 8:17 am
My second was born with the cord wrapped around her more than once. Like she was wearing a cross body bag.
She couldn't turn and was breach. Dr sent for an advanced ultrasound and inversion around 38 weeks and then we saw why she wasn't turning. And the high risk ob believed it wasn't safe to turn her
She was born via c section.
Due to being in a weird position (not completely breach, ut like a 1-2o'clock position) for such a long time, the side of her little body that was squished didn't develop properly. Other than a torticollis and a slight abnormal shape head that corrected itself by 6 months without treatment, she had a bad hip dysplasia. After multiple costly non invasive treatments that we tried for months that didn't work, she needed surgery twice. She's doing great now.
But her hip is still not developed properly and we are very likely looking at more surgery into he future.

She was also the baby that yelled till she'd pass out from exhaustion. Then take a short nap and cry some more till she'd be exhausted and take a short nao..... All throughout the clock for months on end.
It was awful. (Not her. The crying. Lol)
She didn't gain properly. She was around 23 lbs at around 3 years old. But her height was average.
Bh she's absolutely brilliant and extremely fast physically and mentally. It's almost like her body doesn't store fat. Just thin bones and muscle. Socially, she "gets" it. Even better than kid's almost twice her age. (Academically we don't know yet as she's in preschool. She knows everything she's supposed to. I'm nervous about when she'll start kriya)

But she has a very very veeeery sort fuse and it's something I worry about. Because it doesn't make sense with who she is. It's almost like there is a "blockage" in her brain.

Now that this thread came up. I'm thinking all kinds of things lol.

oneofakind

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 8:58 am
Everybody's stories here are fascinating. It's good to know that things that like craniosacral therapy can be helpful.
Here's my story. During labor, my DD heart rate was not great so I was put on oxygen, she was OP (back labor because back of head against my spine-wrong way) and the whole labor was long and painful and contractions stopped during transition...quite awful. When her head finally popped out, the cord was wrapped around her neck and the midwife cut it right away before the rest of her even came out.

She was a colicy baby, like her siblings (I'm thinking some were tongue tie re: Wellsprings Magazine article last week) and high strung (like me) but she is very bright, very talented, socially, academically and professionally successful.

My most difficult 2 children had the easiest, most uncomplicated deliveries (although one I think had a stroke in utero). I think Hashem had rachmanus on me because He knew what I would go through in raising them.

boots

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 9:10 am
amother wrote:
This thread makes me suspect that some women have a tendency for their babies to be born with the cord around the neck. Several posters wrote that all of their children were born that way. I had 12 births and not a single one of my kids had the cord around their neck.

one third of babies are born with a cord around their neck. it is statsically likely that at least one of yours was too but whoever delivered had the sechel not to make a big deal about it and just slipped the cord off.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 9:20 am
I think the lady who says it depends on apgar has it right. One of my kids had an easy to remove cord and high apgars... Not a big deal at all. Another had a major cord issue and low apgar and still has issues (prob unrelated but you never know)

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 9:46 am
What is the maximum age you (any ima) started cranio sacral therapy?

momsrus

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 10:38 am
I’m curious to know for all the people that did craniosacal (however you spell that) therapy. Are you very into natural/ alternative/ controversial therapies/doctors?

Are you the type to do rebirthing and such?

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 11:59 am
Child number 4 was induced because I found it hard to get him to move in utero. Like I have to physically push him to get him to kick. He born with the cord wrapped around his neck twice. They were able to see the heart rate dropping with contractions, so they used a vacuum and he was delivered with one push. What was surprising was that he had two knots in his cord. This is what is actually very dangerous and probably why he moved so little. But Baruch Hashem, he started crying right away and had good apgar scores. He is 20 months and is developing quite nicely. He's a bit wild and sensory, but then again all my children are. He's young, but he seems smart.(I'm totally unbiased Wink ). He was also my only colicky baby, but that only lasted a few months. Statistically, 1/3 of babies are both like this. It's quite normal and I wouldn't worry.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 12:34 pm
Babies dont come out breathing. Ever. They didnt breathe in utero, and 2 more seconds won't make a difference. (It takes like 2 seconds to lift the cord off)

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:

maybe the tendency is for women to have longer or shorter cords connecting the baby to the placenta... according to my midwife, the longer the cord, the more likely the baby is to be wrapped in it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics