Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Please teach us how to ice skate!
Previous  1  2

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
The only surefire way to do that is fall a few times and work out what works best for you when you fall. Or even better never fall! 🤣

I found a bunch of videos from skating instructors on the proper and safe way to fall. Seems like it is important, and they were all saying the same thing...

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 2:45 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for this! I skimmed all his videos and theres one great one about understanding edges-in one quick video I learned that all the times ive been skating ive been pushing my legs totally wrong....I just learned that my front gliding leg is always supposed to stay straight, and not go out to the side. Whaddya know

You're welcome.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:
I found a bunch of videos from skating instructors on the proper and safe way to fall. Seems like it is important, and they were all saying the same thing...

Yes it’s extremely important. I have been taught how to fall properly as well. However, when I actually fall, in the heat of the moment, I do whatever I need to do to not hurt myself vs what I have learned because the speed at which I need to help myself is quicker than my remembering of the correct method! 🤣

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 3:52 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Read in a story about skaters that you also need to learn how to fall without damaging yourself.

Definitely! Fall forward- wear good gloves wth grips (not the kiddie fabric ones) so when u fell u catch urself.

New skaters should keep their hands forward so that they naturally fall forward.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
This probably isn’t what you want to hear either: not everyone can be good at all sports they want to be. Practice doesn’t always make perfect with sport. If you are naturally gifted at a certain sport, then practice might make perfect. I personally wouldn’t have purchased new skates in your position. I would have first had some casual skates with the whole family, see who likes it, see who doesn’t. See who is naturally good, see who isn’t etc. Then those who want can maybe have a group lesson. If after many practices your instructor sees potential, then think about purchasing skates. As to specific drills, it is better to get confident on the rink first/have a private lesson where the instructor gives you drills/tips specific to you after seeing you skate. I don’t think asking generally is that helpful. I also think you are making a big assumption that your entire family will want to continue skating. If it is you who want to skate, then maybe get private lessons for yourself. It is hard as a parent to develop your skating while also monitoring your kids on the ice.

Ice skates are not very expensive. They generally pay for themselves after just a few trips to the rink.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 9:09 pm
amother wrote:
Ice skates are not very expensive. They generally pay for themselves after just a few trips to the rink.

Correct. They really werent.
And my kids got used terrific quality ice skates from an ice skating shop that sells gently used skates as well...definitely pays itself back after just a few times...

Pooh

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:10 pm
I had lessons twice a week growing up and competed regionally.

Leading up to one of the competitions I was begging my parents to buy me my own skates, finally the day before the competition they bought them and I couldn’t have been more thrilled to walk in all pompous like a pro w my shiny brand new *white* skates (the rentals are navy blue). I get on the ice for warm up and “oops shoot! What did I do??? I can’t skate!” I completely forgot that u have to break skates in and obviously I hadn’t since they were new and I was stuck bawling minutes before it was my turn. My instructor saw me and quickly rushed me to get me a pair of rentals (which by now after practicing for months I was so comfortable with they fit like Cinderella’s slippers) and I went on to give my performance and win second place- I was still mebulbelet from the issue so I didn’t give it My all, could’ve taken first...

basically moral of the story u have to break them in till they feel like an extension of ur own feet!!! The movements need to feel so comfortable as if the skates are apart of ur body.

Learning how to get nice speed makes the flow of movements better. Don’t be afraid to go fast once u know what ur doing. When u get to the round parts of the rink u leave inner leg straight w ur weight on it and cross the outer leg in front of it until the turn is over. Arms extended keeps the balance.

Going backwards is also crucial. There’s the baby way and the grown up way to go back:
Baby way, ur feet parallel going in sharp round zig zag motion
Grown up: go to the center where the circle is and practice first inner leg on the line following the pattern of the circle and the other going in and out in semi circles from the front of ur other skate to the back. Wish I could draw it but I’m sure u have seen it and can picture what I mean. Once u master one leg turn around and master the other one. I can’t tell u hoe many lessons were spent on learning this! Again arms extended like an L and looking behind u always.

Have fun. Uch I miss it sooooo much!

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:16 pm
Pooh wrote:
I had lessons twice a week growing up and competed regionally.

Leading up to one of the competitions I was begging my parents to buy me my own skates, finally the day before the competition they bought them and I couldn’t have been more thrilled to walk in all pompous like a pro w my shiny brand new *white* skates (the rentals are navy blue). I get on the ice for warm up and “oops shoot! What did I do??? I can’t skate!” I completely forgot that u have to break skates in and obviously I hadn’t since they were new and I was stuck bawling minutes before it was my turn. My instructor saw me and quickly rushed me to get me a pair of rentals (which by now after practicing for months I was so comfortable with they fit like Cinderella’s slippers) and I went on to give my performance and win second place- I was still mebulbelet from the issue so I didn’t give it My all, could’ve taken first...

basically moral of the story u have to break them in till they feel like an extension of ur own feet!!! The movements need to feel so comfortable as if the skates are apart of ur body.

Learning how to get nice speed makes the flow of movements better. Don’t be afraid to go fast once u know what ur doing. When u get to the round parts of the rink u leave inner leg straight w ur weight on it and cross the outer leg in front of it until the turn is over. Arms extended keeps the balance.

Going backwards is also crucial. There’s the baby way and the grown up way to go back:
Baby way, ur feet parallel going in sharp round zig zag motion
Grown up: go to the center where the circle is and practice first inner leg on the line following the pattern of the circle and the other going in and out in semi circles from the front of ur other skate to the back. Wish I could draw it but I’m sure u have seen it and can picture what I mean. Once u master one leg turn around and master the other one. I can’t tell u hoe many lessons were spent on learning this! Again arms extended like an L and looking behind u always.

Have fun. Uch I miss it sooooo much!

Thank you so much for this. I cant quite picture what you mean about the grown up way to do backward skating, and id love to practice this...can you try to explain again?

And why do you miss it? Do you not skate anymore? Im picturing in my head a young girl flying across the rink...

Pooh

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:29 pm
This is what I meant

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8XILrZn1Qys

ETA I don’t skate regularly anymore because we moved away to a different country and I didn’t continue there, also we became religious and it seemed like Tznius would limit what I could/used to do in the ice. And ever since I got married, husband never wanted to go, he’s scared, and I was always either pregnant or w a baby. I took my kids once when they grew up and someone was able to watch the baby, they love it and beg me to go again but alone with everyone being beginners it’s very draining for me to handle So I haven’t gone back. Maybe soon I’ll surprise one by one and go so they don’t all wear me down in one visit helping them.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 03 2019, 10:51 pm
Pooh wrote:
This is what I meant

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8XILrZn1Qys

ETA I don’t skate regularly anymore because we moved away to a different country and I didn’t continue there, also we became religious and it seemed like Tznius would limit what I could/used to do in the ice. And ever since I got married, husband never wanted to go, he’s scared, and I was always either pregnant or w a baby. I took my kids once when they grew up and someone was able to watch the baby, they love it and beg me to go again but alone with everyone being beginners it’s very draining for me to handle So I haven’t gone back. Maybe soon I’ll surprise one by one and go so they don’t all wear me down in one visit helping them.

Thank you so much for the link. I really appreciate it. Cant wait to get started...
And I really hope you manage to make your way back to the rink!

SleepingBeauty

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 11:30 am
Chayalle wrote:
I don't skate well, but my girls look like ballerinas on ice (do I sound like a proud Mamma?) I do think they have some natural ability, which they definitely did NOT inherit from yours truly...the grace and dancing abilities come from their father.

But there's no substitute for lessons, OP. Most rinks offer them, for a reason. It's the best way. You don't need alot of lessons, but there's nothing like learning from the experts. I signed my girls up for a set of lessons - I think it was a set of 8 - and they went from zero to twirls in that space of time - also included additional practice time on the rink after the lessons. Or you can hire an instructor to teach your family together, one lesson at a time, as needed. You need to learn the steps from the swizzle up thru crossovers, etc....there are no shortcuts really.

My girls have their own skates, but I actually think the rentals are probably better, stronger, and more sharpened. Maybe this varies by location. I recently signed up my youngest for the same course her older sisters took a few years ago, and I plan to use the rink's skates (included in the price) for now, and will get her better skates when she knows how to use them.

Which rink did you use that you had a good experience?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics