Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Hebrew name for Sophia/Sophie??
Previous  1  2

worldpeace

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 5:10 pm
Sefirah -kinda sounds similar..I think it's such pretty nme,its like sefirat haomer..

amother

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 5:41 pm
My DD's hebrew name is Sifra, I didn't like it's too old fashioned so her english/legal name is Sophia.
It's fun when you sing Eshes Chayil cuz everyone looks at her.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 5:41 pm
My DD's hebrew name is Sifra, I didn't like it's too old fashioned so her english/legal name is Sophia.
It's fun when you sing Eshes Chayil cuz everyone looks at her.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 6:56 pm
Are you Zionistic? Hatikva says, "ayin leTzion tzofia". There the word commotes not only watching but also hoping and longing. I know people who spell it Tzofiya and accent the final syllable.

imamama

Post Wed, Nov 24 2010, 6:00 am
My cousin's name is Sophie, and her Hebrew name is Simcha.

maofboys

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 9:36 pm
I am surprised to hear people say they never heard of Tzofia I am not sfardi and I know a few Tzofia's and I think its a beautiful name.

elisheva25

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 10:23 am
Does the name Tzofiya or any form of Sophia have any origin in Tanach ? Anything , anywhere besides Eishes Chayil ? What would be original Yiddish version ?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 10:28 am
elisheva25 wrote:
Does the name Tzofiya or any form of Sophia have any origin in Tanach ? Anything , anywhere besides Eishes Chayil ? What would be original Yiddish version ?

Eishes chayil is from tanach- sefer mishlei. I don't think it's actually used as a name in tanach though.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 10:30 am
I know a Sara Faiga who is called Sophie.

Bshaah tovah!

Prettygirl30

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 10:33 am
My oldest that was also born in February was going to be Sophie Sara (Sara after my mother in law we are Sephardic and name after our parents and my mother in law didn't want to be named). Long story short after she was born we took one look at her and we both. Ditched Sophie and named her Sara only. But I still love the name!

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 11:44 am
Since Sophia means wisdom, Binah would be a perfect match. If it’s the sound you like, Tzofia would be a perfect match. And Tzofia Binah means “She sees/observes wisdom”, which is awesome!

dankbar

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 12:47 pm
I would think tsofiyah means hope/hopeful like tzofyat yeshuah

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 12:47 pm
My daughter is Tsophia based on Eshes Chayil. When we researched the name, we understood based on the mefarshim that it means she watches over the goings on of the home as in she guards it. In particular with regard to tsnius...etc.

Basically she protects her home's level of kedusha.

Bshaa tova!

nchr

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 1:39 pm
elisheva25 wrote:

No. Also Sophia/Sophie a Greek name. It's entirely unrelated to the word Tzofia in Hebrew, which can also be a name.

*Edited because I had previously written can also be a "mean" instead of name.

Last edited by nchr on Sat, Jan 05 2019, 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rappel

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 3:14 pm
Tsofiya isn't just looking. It's seeing far, looking to the future... It's the person who takes a long view of things, and looks out for the betterment of others (I've heard it in connection to the idea of geulah).

Also - both Tsofiya's I know are very beautiful, very sweet, and very precocious. Just saying. Smile

finallyamommy

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 3:25 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter is Tsophia based on Eshes Chayil. When we researched the name, we understood based on the mefarshim that it means she watches over the goings on of the home as in she guards it. In particular with regard to tsnius...etc.

Basically she protects her home's level of kedusha.

Bshaa tova!

This is absolutely beautiful. I know two Tsophias, and I was going to recommend it as a name and now I like it even more!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names