Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Dear Teachers, I don't have a square to spare!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

sky

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 11:11 am
Quote:
In school, out loud, one kid at a time is how we did it when I was a kid.

I don’t think this a good idea. If every child reads 1 minute. That means the kids have to sit quietly for 25 minutes while each kid gets a turn. That’s horrid. I’d rather spend 1 minute at home.
Both my kids schools pull out each student once - twice a week to check kriya and reading but it does not replace short nightly practice that is necessary to master these skills.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 11:23 am
amother wrote:
How would that work with HW that needs listening to? Kriah?
Reading practice? Vowel practice?
If the HW is a worksheet that the child does and the teacher collects then why on earth are you- the mother "doing" that with them? If its just a worksheet they are anyway doing it on their own- the mother doesnt need to be involved so why the resentment?

My first grader's teachers listen to each girl do kriya/ reading one on one every day while the class is doing centers/ other worksheets. There's an assistant in the room to deal with the rest of the class as they're doing their work.

That doesn't stop them from a giving daily kriyah and reading homework, but I think they understand the importance of both the teachers and the parents continuously being aware of skill level.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 11:32 am
amother wrote:

because 5-8 is family time
because I want them to feel free and relaxed when they cross the threshold of our door, not anxious and beleaguered

This can not be stressed enough.

Every "chinuch expert" and speaker talking about the challenge of raising children in this generation emphasizes the need for the home to be the happy safe zone. Full of menucha and laughter and happiness.

If you read Rav Mattisyahu Solomons book on chinuch, he stresses how terrible homework is for the home, and how it needs to be minimized.

Schools will listen to everything else Rav Solomon says, but conveniently overlook this...

farm

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 12:42 pm
imasinger wrote:
I'm going to wait for tomatoes.

I think it's an important life skill to handle homework. Within reason, but 15 minutes a night is reasonable.

My kids who got regular homework and learned to do it are the ones who have an easier time later in life when faced with challenges at the end of the day.

Learning that you can do more than you think (or want) can be useful.

In moderation, of course.

Let the tomatoes commence.

You are leaving out a big part of the problem- the part where the parent needs to be part of the homework. Assuming kid is lucky enough to get the teacher is the understanding type who minimizes the work to 10-15 minutes, Listening to 3 minutes of Chumash review of the daily pesukim plus 1 perek tehillim kriya plus give a mock spelling test times 2-3 kids means you are a necessary piece of this teaching-kids-responsibility for upwards of one precious evening hour at least! An hour where you are unavailable to other kids who want or need attention. And it by default makes it your responsibility, not your kid's. And then you need to sign the homework sheet or else after all that effort and responsibility exhibited by the kid, they get demerits as if they didn't do their homework. When you were the one that got preoccupied (with the other kids who needed attention?)! It's a terribly flawed system that isn't teaching anyone much of anything.

keym

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 12:56 pm
farm wrote:
You are leaving out a big part of the problem- the part where the parent needs to be part of the homework. Assuming kid is lucky enough to get the teacher is the understanding type who minimizes the work to 10-15 minutes, Listening to 3 minutes of Chumash review of the daily pesukim plus 1 perek tehillim kriya plus give a mock spelling test times 2-3 kids means you are a necessary piece of this teaching-kids-responsibility for upwards of one precious evening hour at least! An hour where you are unavailable to other kids who want or need attention. And it by default makes it your responsibility, not your kid's. And then you need to sign the homework sheet or else after all that effort and responsibility exhibited by the kid, they get demerits as if they didn't do their homework. When you were the one that got preoccupied (with the other kids who needed attention?)! It's a terribly flawed system that isn't teaching anyone much of anything.

Yes thank you!!!
This is the problem. I have no problem that my 7th grader has homework (though I think 2-3 hrs a night is excessive) because its totally her responsibility, and she's the one who signs her homework pad and lives with the consequences.
But all the rest- I have to listen, I have to sign, and the teachers have made it clear that its the parent's responsibility. And its only 10-15 minutes per teacher per kid if the kid cooperates.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 1:55 pm
keym wrote:
Yes thank you!!!
This is the problem. I have no problem that my 7th grader has homework (though I think 2-3 hrs a night is excessive) because its totally her responsibility, and she's the one who signs her homework pad and lives with the consequences.
But all the rest- I have to listen, I have to sign, and the teachers have made it clear that its the parent's responsibility. And its only 10-15 minutes per teacher per kid if the kid cooperates.

This. I work and have no cleaning help. If I spend an hour doing homework with my kids then I have no time to spend with them or they won’t have clean clothes the next day. Something has to give.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 1:55 pm
I think many teachers have no clue how long the homework actually takes. Their 15 minutes is more like an hour (and that's when the kids are ready to buckle down and concentrate with someone sitting next to them. When that's not possible, forget about it.)

Having said that, we had a LOT of homework in middle/high school. We were told to expect 1 hour in 7th grade, 2 hours 8th grade, and so on, until 6 hours in 12th grade. I was in the top 2-3 in my grade, so I didn't spend quite that long, but definitely 2-4 hours easily most nights. But this is not America, and a very different system, where the standard of education is a lot higher, and grades really matter. None of this was busywork, btw.

Zehava

Post Fri, Jan 04 2019, 2:25 pm
Now in addition to homework my kid is bringing home the work she didn’t do in class. In the textbook. As if her backpack isn’t heavy enough. And as if it’s fair to expect me to make her do work during family time when the teacher couldn’t make her do it during class time. I basically do not take it as my pressure. If my kid does it then great. And if she doesn’t too bad. I won’t have my and my kids entire afternoon usurped. She has so little time to unwind as is.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 6:48 pm
Zehava wrote:
Now in addition to homework my kid is bringing home the work she didn’t do in class. In the textbook. As if her backpack isn’t heavy enough. And as if it’s fair to expect me to make her do work during family time when the teacher couldn’t make her do it during class time. I basically do not take it as my pressure. If my kid does it then great. And if she doesn’t too bad. I won’t have my and my kids entire afternoon usurped. She has so little time to unwind as is.

We fully understand that, but don't expect your child to come out with good grades and all the skills she's supposed to have at the end of the year. It may be worth calling up the teacher if this is an ongoing problem to find the source of the problem and work on solving that instead of giving up or getting overwhelmed by bandaids of working harder at home.

Zehava

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
We fully understand that, but don't expect your child to come out with good grades and all the skills she's supposed to have at the end of the year. It may be worth calling up the teacher if this is an ongoing problem to find the source of the problem and work on solving that instead of giving up or getting overwhelmed by bandaids of working harder at home.

My child is ahead of her class in every subject. She picks up on the material faster than her classmates. She does have problems but academics is not one of them. I really don’t get why her teacher is this.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:04 pm
Zehava wrote:
My child is ahead of her class in every subject. She picks up on the material faster than her classmates. She does have problems but academics is not one of them. I really don’t get why her teacher is this.

Then please please communicate with the teacher to decide what’s necessary and not. If the works too easy, the teacher can either select the worthwhile parts or give your kid something with more of a challenge in school to keep her interested. Don’t let your daughter burn out now. Your bitter attitude towards her work is going to rub off on your daughter and make her work even less.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 2:01 pm
In my humble opinion, the problem begins and ends with the type of people that are picked
for principals and teachers. Regulated, coordinated people who met all their milestones and social skills like the books says.

They cannot possibly understand people.

Years ago when I went to school, we had a Jewish history teacher that was brilliant and left us with wonderful feelings for yiddishkeit who was clearly ADHD. she would never be hired today.

We had a teacher who was shlumpily dressed and unsophisticated who lovingly taught us high school chumash and clearly left an indelible mark on us (in the yiras shamayim area.)
She would never be hired today.

AGAIN, THOSE TYPES WILL NEVER BE HIRED TODAY, EVEN IF THE THERE ARE THREE POSITIONS FOR EACH TEACHER APPLYING!!

(sorry if I offended teachers and principals, but the truth may hurt)

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 2:11 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
In my humble opinion, the problem begins and ends with the type of people that are picked
for principals and teachers. Regulated, coordinated people who met all their milestones and social skills like the books says.

They cannot possibly understand people.

Years ago when I went to school, we had a Jewish history teacher that was brilliant and left us with wonderful feelings for yiddishkeit who was clearly ADHD. she would never be hired today.

We had a teacher who was shlumpily dressed and unsophisticated who lovingly taught us high school chumash and clearly left an indelible mark on us (in the yiras shamayim area.)
She would never be hired today.

AGAIN, THOSE TYPES WILL NEVER BE HIRED TODAY, EVEN IF THE THERE ARE THREE POSITIONS FOR EACH TEACHER APPLYING!!

(sorry if I offended teachers and principals, but the truth may hurt)

I'm 100% ADHD and a beloved teacher. I have a good teacher friend who's far more ADHD and disorganized and was just hired as an administrator.

behappy2

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:18 pm
These are my thoughts:

1. Do not do more than 5-10 minutes of HW in lower grades. If kid resists or takes too long just stop. I learned the hard way. Was a super conscientious parent especially since I was advised that if I dont do HW the Rebbe will think I don't care etc..it created such chaos etc...

2. The grades that are learning kriah and reading teachers should send home guides of what class is up to (short vowel sounds..25 wpm) and parents can test their kids one every few weeks. Why every night? Schools usually have tutors for kids who are behind. Parents shouldn't have to do that unless they want to.

3. Schools give HW to keep kids busy or impress parents.

4. I don't like HW at all. I think schools can incorporate study time etc...I would love to see kids having time to explore hobbies etc..

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:00 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
It's that time of the year, time for the annual homework rant.

My little kids (2nd and 3rd grade) get home at 5pm. They go to sleep at 8. That leaves them with 3 short hours to get a snack, decompress, eat dinner, hang out with siblings and get ready for bed. There is no time for homework. Not one minute. Before you tell me, it will only take 15 minutes let me remind you that their rebbe is saying the same thing. That means that a minimum of 17% of their awake time at home is spent on homework. You have them for 8 hours. I have them for 3. If you can't teach them to master the material in 8 hours, revise the curriculum and teach less. You can't have any more of my time. I DON'T HAVE A SQARE TO SPARE!

Disclaimer... I went to PS . It was only me and a autistic brother, who was like 10 children.

However, these threads and letters in the Voice Coffee Room really make my blood pressure go thru the roof

As a child, of course I hated homework, what child does.

However, as an adult , I look back and see how I gained from homework. It really reinforced everything I learned.

This is one of my biggest peeves. It makes me think how really messed up the RW frum world is.

Just because, you had too many children, than you could manage , or your husb isn't making enough money or you just never got your act together,

That isn't the school's fault.
DON'T SHORT-CHANGE YOUR CHILD .
QUITE OFTEN THE LIMUDI CHOL IS ABYSMAL AS IT IS. DON'T MAKE IT WORSE..

And, if we are talking Limudi Kodesh. Al achas cama v cama...
If you don't practice kriah at home and go over chumash and mishnayis, even as an adult the former student will suffer....

If you don't have a minute for homework, its time to re-evaluate your priorities...

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:28 pm
I believe kids need time to decompress, to get physical activity, to learn hobbies... the schedule of a public schooler especially when you were growing up was likely very different then what our kids are getting. how often did you have gym a week, what about recess...or just extras in general. my dh had band in highschool in public school, we didn't get stuff like that.

I happen to tell my dd to do her homework by herself so its not about me being too busy..

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:44 pm
Your child’s 8 hour schedule for lower grades
Arrival- children come off bus ( or car or any other mode of travel),some are hungry(bus comesearly/ child overslept)teachers provide breakfast. Child is crying- teacher needs to calm child and find source of upset. (bandaid,tylenol,missing supplies, mommy had a baby needs extra attention, etc ) First graders are adjusting to “ big girl school” - morah she took my ______( fill in the blank), I can’t see, I don’t have, etc.
tfilla- learning how to daven plus kriah, plus concentration.
Chumash or parsha, again content plus kriah and writing and reinforcing.
Recess- keep an eye out for important social skills and behaviors. Ivris, lashon, halacha(grade appropriate)
Yahadus ( cut,colour, paste) teacher all this time is teaching, emphasizing, reinforcing and helping and guiding the children who need help
Pack up hebrew, cleanup and line up for lunch
Where teacher needs to make sure children are eating, drinking, watching their behavior,
Finish lunch come back up and bentch
Now English
Math, reading, writing , science, social studies
Again teacher is teaching, guiding, reinforcing, helping and at same time listening to their stories and taking care of their booboos.
Teachers do more than you know.
Yes hw is nec. The question is how much?
Yes mothers have alot on their plate and don’t have time to breathe, but they need to be involved with the children’s school work.
Listn to kria while folding laundry, hw at kitchen table while supper is being prepared. Don’t check imamother posts ( just kidding -we need something for ourselves)

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 6:24 pm
As a teacher I give very little homework, but yes, if your preteen or teenager didn't finish her classwork because she was in the bathroom half the period, taking to a friend, or even just works slowly, she'll need to put in some time at home. I can't just drop the assignment because 1) what lesson does that teach them? And 2) I need the grade. All the work should be able to be be done independently, but some kids aren't working at grade level and will need help at home.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 1:15 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
While I did agree with you at some point, by now I have realized the importance of reviewing at home. But I do think they have a bit too much homework. Just a little review is ok and important.

In Israel school ends at 1.30 - 4pm. Depending on the day. Only once a week it ends at 4, usually ending at 2 something or 3.

In this case it's realistic to get some homework done.
Growing up I had school till 4 and I never did much homework. We had math homework twice a week and a Chumash or Navi worksheet each night.

Also I was in a "academic" high school here. We virtually had no homework. We had to do a report in subject or another once a month or so...but that was it besides for math.

I cannot understand the standards these days.
I totally agree with you OP. If I lived in the USA I would definitely make sure my child's school has realistic standards for what they can accomplish outside of school time.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 3:03 pm
Only online do I discover parents do homework especially on this level
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics