Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Trouble with co-worker

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 3:49 pm
Hi all, I’m posting anonymously in case my co-worker is here! In short, I’ll call the co-worker Sharon, believe That Sharon is sabotaging me. Sharon worked at the company long before me, and since I’ve been there she has been moved to a less prominent department and I have been promoted and given many of her duties.

I’m on good terms with the CEO of the company, sharon is not. Sharon, having been at the company longer than me, is on a very friendly basis with board members, and I am just getting to know them.

The sabotage piece comes in this way. After I was promoted, board members began calling me, inviting me to board meetings, and asking my opinions. Sharon told me that her position is board liaison, and I’m not allowed to speak directly with board members, I must go through her.

This is her last ditch effort to control me and hold onto her position. I spoke to the ceo yesterday, and she agreed this is ridiculous, but neither of us want to confront Sharon, as she’ll insist the board members only want to talk to her.

I could go to the board president or Vice President and suggest that there’s a feeling of non-collaboration that I can’t quite define, and then feel them out and see what they think.

I guess I’m afraid to be too confrontational with Sharon, as I need to get along with her, and she’s a bit of a bully.

Am I being clear? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 4:04 pm
If Sharon isn't your boss - as it sounds like she is not - you don't need her permission to talk to the board, especially since the board is interested in talking to you.

Just don't talk to Sharon about your discussions with the board.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 4:53 pm
Hi, thanks for your reply! Sharon is not my boss, you are correct. I have been talking to board members without telling her. However, they aren’t aware of any ill will, and they mention our conversations to her. My work and Sharon’s work overlap.

In recent weeks the board members have stopped seeking me out, and my belief, unproven, is that Sharon has told the board members that they should only speak with her, in her role as board liaison. They probably don’t want to cross her, as she is a bully. She is also subtly manipulative, and they may not realize what she is doing.

What bothers me is that I can’t do my work in this dysfunctional environment, and my ceo agrees, so I don’t think it’s my imagination of insecurity. I’m not sure how to correct the situation.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 5:25 pm
id focus on doing an outstanding job.
if board members contact you then answer.
otherwise, leave it alone.
time will tell.
you are close with the CEO.
you just got a promotion.
you were given much of her duties.
just ignore her and keep rising on your own merit.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 6:31 pm
Thanks, that what I’ve been doing, some days though, it’s hard to let it go. But that’s probably the wiser course, at least for now. Thanks!

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 6:37 pm
Is there an HR Dept you can discuss this with?

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 9:05 pm
We do have an HR department, but I’ve never gone to them with an issue regarding another employee. I’m not sure if I’d be opening a can of worms. And I’m not sure about how confidential it would really be.

Learning

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 10:57 pm
It’s very complicated. It’s sounds like you got her job because the ceo likes you and doesn’t like her but she on the other hand has better connections with the board than you have. She is trying to get back her job and she is upset that you took her job. Am I correct?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 11:03 pm
I just had this. Was downplayed a lot by this "person" to the upper management as a controlling effort on her part. Bottom line, I left the job and found something else. There is no point in being in a negative environment when there is no sight of this person leaving and likely for this perosn to ruin the posiiton I have and make the job miserable.

Good luck! Keep doing the best you can - You know you are doing the right thing, best you can do.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:49 am
from what you describe sounds like management is on to her

so in that case you can just keep doing what you are doing

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
id focus on doing an outstanding job.
if board members contact you then answer.
otherwise, leave it alone.
time will tell.
you are close with the CEO.
you just got a promotion.
you were given much of her duties.
just ignore her and keep rising on your own merit.

If Sharon is the only thing wrong with your job, then I agree with the above. Play the long game. Resist the urge to "fix" the situation, and watch your back.

There's an old saying: "Give a man enough rope, and eventually he'll hang himself."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics