Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What Landed You at Your $160k+ Job?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 2:17 am
Are you currently employed at a job that pays $160k+ or somewhere in that ballpark?
How many years did you build yourself up IN THAT FIELD in order to attain this salary?
Bachelors/Masters?
Which field?

I have a great work ethic and have been proven to do jobs I've taken on pretty well. I can do much better salary wise and would love your feedback, as I need a push in the right direction. I usually end up requesting around 80k but can do much better than that!

Please advise. (If you make over 100k, please specify amt and what you do - Can post anon. I never look at people profiles anyways)

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:09 am
Depends more on your line of work than work ethic. A teacher can be amazing but will still never make that salary. A doctor can be mediocre at best and make more than that.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:18 am
It all depends on your field and where you live. My husband has a PhD and works in tech making that ballpark straight after his postdoc. My field I'd be good if I make 50k XD.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 4:25 am
amother wrote:
It all depends on your field and where you live. My husband has a PhD and works in tech making that ballpark straight after his postdoc. My field I'd be good if I make 50k XD.

This. If you live in Europe, you want be making 160000 euros a year unless you're a manager or specialized doctor.
And like above posters said, you can be the best mora in the world, you'll never make as much. BUT I read that as a nanny, one can become very rich. So I guess no matter what you enjoy doing , there will be a niche that will pay well.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 7:27 am
I make over 400 000 CND, but half goes to taxes, and I work 40-100 hrs per week, depending on whether I'm on call. The more I work, the more I get paid. I'm in a general medical speciality so I have over 10 years of education and training.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:22 am
My husband is a speech therapist and he makes over that amount since about three years post graduation.

Careers

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:25 am
People in the Finance field, IT, Buyers, Management or Operations earn anywhere from the amount you mention up to 300k.

They don't usually have degrees. Value is measured by their accomplishments.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:38 am
I’m a lawyer at a big law firm. Starting salary is 190,000 + 15,000 bonus.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:48 am
Any job like that will have high barriers to entry. You need to figure out what you're good at and how to pass those barriers in your field.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:49 am
Judy Fried wrote:
People in the Finance field, IT, Buyers, Management or Operations earn anywhere from the amount you mention up to 300k.

They actually usually do have degrees, but have to work hard to work their way up.

Op, this is also going to be very location dependent. Salaries are much, much higher is certain countries, and regions of the country.

roses

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:54 am
amother wrote:
My husband is a speech therapist and he makes over that amount since about three years post graduation.

This is impressive! Can you share how he earns this amount? Agency? Private practice?

Careers

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 8:59 am
amother wrote:
They actually usually do have degrees.

I thought so too.
The reality is different.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:04 am
roses wrote:
This is impressive! Can you share how he earns this amount? Agency? Private practice?

Not OP but I also know a male speech therapist doing very very well. He works through an agency and they pay the men much more than the women just because of supply and demand. He worms in many chassidish yeshivas that wpuld not allow a women speech therapist working with their students (especially the older ones).

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:07 am
Judy Fried wrote:
I thought so too.
The reality is different.

I have many family members in these fields, and they all felt it was necessary to have a degree. Perhaps there are specific industries within those where it's less important in terms of landing a good job.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:13 am
Judy Fried wrote:

Those people usually have at least a BA.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:15 am
amother wrote:

That is a VERY high salary for a new speech therapist. How did he pull that off?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:20 am
I left college with about 20 credits to go- so no BA. I manage a large division of a company- managing salespeople and accounts. With commissions and bonuses I make about 200k.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 9:47 am
roses wrote:

amother
White

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:01 am
Sure fire ways to get that salary would be a professional degree - medical or accounting or computer. If you go to a prestigious law school, it is also possible.

My son's friend graduated college with a degree in business and computer and was making about $90,000 right out of college so I am reasonably sure he is making that amount now or even more and he is about 4 years out.

The reality is that for the most part, without a degree, it is difficult to even get hired in most companies because the degree now is viewed as a high school degree was years ago. When I worked in companies, the secretaries (aka administrative assistants) generally had college degrees unless they were significantly older and were "professional" secretaries.

The poster who said that it is possible to make that kind of salary without a degree modified it by stating that it was essentially a sales based position that happened to be in those fields. Sales - especially B2B sales positions in corporations and those where one supervises others sales personnel - are probably an exception because the results are completely apparent. You either sell and make your numbers and/or your team makes the numbers or you don't. In my experience, the sales people at companies I worked for were very different than the people who worked on the more "corporate" side of the business. They had different personalities and often didn't have the same kind of pedigreed education that the Finance, Legal, Compliance, Development etc. people had.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:16 am
I know someone who makes around that salary.
He has a BA in computers but went for additional specialized training in cyber security.
He is in charge of cyber security for a major government organization.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics