Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What Landed You at Your $160k+ Job?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:18 am
Hard work. Consistently showing that I’m worth it. Great management skills and assertiveness.
No I don’t have any degree. I did not even get a high school diploma.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:24 am
I have a BA and MA. I will say, networking was probably the top reason I’m still at my same workplace 15 years later. While I was still in college, I got to know people. By the time I graduated, I had people telling me about jobs and putting in a word for me. I, personally, know an Assemblywoman and she wrote references for me. That’s not to say that my education and skills are not important, because they absolutely are. But I think there’s still a lot of “it’s who you know” going on in certain fields.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:28 am
I am a nurse practitioner. I make about $120K but if I moved back to NY I could easily find a job in the $150k range.

roses

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:48 am
amother wrote:

Removed by request of amother

This is very impressive- he's extremely hard working!
And I'm sure you've been very supportive of him as well, with this schedule

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:53 am
amother wrote:

Removed by request of amother .

Hes bilingual in Yiddish/English? That's great. What is the hourly rate for his agency? I am in a similar field.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:55 am
causemommysaid wrote:
Depends more on your line of work than work ethic. A teacher can be amazing but will still never make that salary. A doctor can be mediocre at best and make more than that.

I started as a math teacher, got hired as an instructional coach, then moved to being an assistant principal, and now principal of a public school.

I'm 10 years into my career, have a bachelors and 2 masters degrees. Even pursuing a career path in education is not limiting, though it may take longer to reach that salary range.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:24 am
My husband makes $130k including bonuses.
He had no degree or high school diploma.
Chassidish yeshiva system. Woth very basic English skills he was taught in cheder.

He started out as an entry level job making about minimum wage.
Worked his way up in the same company. 8 years of hard loyal work. He learned on the job, always looking to know more about the company and what they value most in a worker. Also learning the custom computer system..... His English skills are really really good. His computer skills are pretty advanced and his interpersonal skills are really above average.
Now he makes $130k a year. For the amount of work he does, the hours he puts in and the skill he currently has I believe he is grossly underpaid. Because of the hours he works and his responsibilities, our life is also more expensive and financially, as crazy as it sounds we are really struggling.

He is currently working on possibly starting up his own business.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
My husband makes $130k including bonuses.
He had no degree or high school diploma.
Chassidish yeshiva system. Woth very basic English skills he was taught in cheder.

He started out as an entry level job making about minimum wage.
Worked his way up in the same company. 8 years of hard loyal work. He learned on the job, always looking to know more about the company and what they value most in a worker. Also learning the custom computer system..... His English skills are really really good. His computer skills are pretty advanced and his interpersonal skills are really above average.
Now he makes $130k a year. For the amount of work he does, the hours he puts in and the skill he currently has I believe he is grossly underpaid. Because of the hours he works and his responsibilities, our life is also more expensive and financially, as crazy as it sounds we are really struggling.

He is currently working on possibly starting up his own business.

Is it a frum company?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:31 am
I have many family members in mortgages and real estate that make a lot of money. (Upwards of 500k) If you are good at what u do you can make it. Dh works in a company for 8 years now started at 45k and makes any 120k now. He also makes side money, for jobs he does on the side. No college degree, heimish school system.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 11:57 am
amother wrote:
I have many family members in mortgages and real estate that make a lot of money. (Upwards of 500k) If you are good at what u do you can make it. Dh works in a company for 8 years now started at 45k and makes any 120k now. He also makes side money, for jobs he does on the side. No college degree, heimish school system.

Do u think someone can start out now in real estate in NYC and bring home 50k in commission?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
Is it a frum company?

Yes. The owners are frum ppl.

He works crazy hours coming home often 20 minutes before shabbos. He once walked in 5 minutes after zman (10 minutes before shkia).
He has often had to work remotely on motzia shabbos. And Sunday thru Friday.
He has a 3 hours daily commute.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:

Why did I get a hug? Rolling Eyes

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 12:27 pm
amother wrote:
Do u think someone can start out now in real estate in NYC and bring home 50k in commission?

Depends on a lot of factors. It's a hard business to break into but once you get in it you can do really well.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 1:54 pm
I'm a clinical social worker. I make about 125k a year. I think I started making over 100k after working in my field for about 6 years. I'm good at what I do, but I also got really lucky and joined a clinic when they really needed a therapist with my particular training on staff and were willing to pay nicely for it. I make about 90k in my clinic work, and the rest from private pay clients.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
Why did I get a hug? Rolling Eyes

Because people are jealous.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 2:59 pm
Wow! Making so much as a speech therapist is interesting. While working on the administrative end for agencies I've never seen those rates or anything close.

Clinical behavioral work is more of my 'type' although I don't mind managerial positions either.

To the person who commented regarding real estate, that's interesting.
I always wondered how commissions worked in real estate (I had contemplated going into it a while back). If they get someone to rent or a place do they make commission per month of throughout the duration of the rental or just upon closing? What are the types of commissions for buying houses? $10k /30k / more?

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 3:23 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I started as a math teacher, got hired as an instructional coach, then moved to being an assistant principal, and now principal of a public school.

I'm 10 years into my career, have a bachelors and 2 masters degrees. Even pursuing a career path in education is not limiting, though it may take longer to reach that salary range.

Well ur not a teacher anymore. Do any of ur teachers earn 160k?

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 3:45 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
Well ur not a teacher anymore. Do any of ur teachers earn 160k?

Her point is that when someone goes into the teaching field, they have potential to move up and make more money.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 3:45 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 3:50 pm
smileforamile wrote:
Nope. The highest teachers' salary in NYC is currently $122K.

That’s hardly pennies!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics